Howdy strangers

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
andheath

Postby andheath » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:21 am

Lynn

You still up for our date in Malia old town?
This Cretan Adventure thing is way beyond a joke.

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:23 am

Definitely! We're hoping to be over at Greek Easter for a week or your next chance is going to be any time from November onwards...
Living in Crete!!

andheath

Postby andheath » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:26 am

Easter it is then. Don't believe anything you read.
This Cretan Adventure thing is way beyond a joke.

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:31 am

When we're booked I'll let you know!

I believe things when they happen....
Living in Crete!!

Retired in Crete

Postby Retired in Crete » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:58 am

andheath wrote:What I couldn't do with a Haggis Supper right now.

Then go to Commotions Bar in Istron Friday night ('though could be Saturday) for a "Burns Night Supper" - Haggis, neeps, the lot.

PM me if interested

John

latsida

Postby latsida » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:28 am

Am I missing something here?Is Andheath back in Scotland or is he here?Maybe he is a Mactroll. Think this is all a windup and shall go to the bar at Istron for the Burns night and check it out :wink:

rainbowmir

What we miss....

Postby rainbowmir » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:52 am

Every time I come from the UK I have to bring T-bags, pork pies and proper pork sausages for my friend in Almerida!! And when I came to live in Crete in 2005 I brought Bisto gravy powder and Bird's Custard powder with me (and will do again when I come this year...).
Last edited by rainbowmir on Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:10 pm

Just before we were over in September our Greek friend asked me to bring over a book (Captain Correlli's Mandolin) because she couldn't find it anywhere. Turned out it was for a British friend who had been wanting to read it for ages but either couldn't find it or it was too expensive! It was definitely a lot cheaper buying it here than in Crete.

When we move permanently, we'll be bringing over as many tetley tea bags as poss (only tea hubby will drink). I'm sure there'll be other things that we'll add to the list as we go along...
Living in Crete!!

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:34 pm

lshall05 wrote:... either couldn't find it or it was too expensive! It was definitely a lot cheaper buying it here than in Crete.
Eeermm, what's wrong with Amazon? We regularly buy from them and goods have always arrived within a few days of dispatch, recently by courier for big orders.

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:40 pm

Well, either the British couple (retired) don't know about it or decided that it was too expensive to get it delivered. Our Greek friend wouldn't know about it as she doesn't have/use the internet and I doubt if they even have a credit card. When I was looking for it, amazon would have worked out more expensive as I would have had to pay the postage because I wasn't buying anything else at the time.
Living in Crete!!

Nita

Postby Nita » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:58 pm

filippos wrote:Eeermm, what's wrong with Amazon? We regularly buy from them and goods have always arrived within a few days of dispatch, recently by courier for big orders.

Filippos clearly you have been more successful than me (and I guess others living in Crete/Greece) with Amazon. I tried to make a purchase from Amazon and was informed they do not deliver to Greece, the following is an extract from their reply to my e-mail query:

Thank you for contacting Amazon.co.uk Marketplace with your enquiry. We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience you have experienced with this issue. Using an address in Greece is perfectly acceptable for most retail purchases made from Amazon.co.uk.

However, the Amazon Payments system, which Amazon.co.uk Marketplace uses to initiate payments, has a more limited scope. Auctions and zShops sellers also use Amazon Payments. You may find information on an individual seller's payment and delivery policies on the information page of the item you wish to purchase.

We are unable to extend the Amazon Payments service to your country at this time. However, we're constantly seeking new ways to serve our customers and we hope to be able to expand our service area in the future.

Please understand that this restriction is limited to your delivery address.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:11 pm

Yes I've also had problems being unable to get delivery to Greece from Amazon Marketplace (I discovered with this when I tried to order your book Nita if you remember!). Those items shipped from Amazon direct are available to Greece but the postage is usually hefty, and you don't get the bargain prices that you get on Marketplace so can end up paying double the cost.

Jean

Postby Jean » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:30 pm

I order loads of books (usually work stuff + the odd novel) from amazon and the postage is pretty minimal, maybe 5 or 6 Euro for several large books.
I get them through amazon.de (they stock the same stuff anyway) but I think that the same rates would apply from amazon.co.uk.
I had one parcel lost recently (first time in all the years that I have been using them) and they resent the books without any problems at no extra cost.

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:14 pm

Carolina wrote:Yes I've also had problems being unable to get delivery to Greece from Amazon Marketplace (I discovered with this when I tried to order your book Nita if you remember!). Those items shipped from Amazon direct are available to Greece but the postage is usually hefty, and you don't get the bargain prices that you get on Marketplace so can end up paying double the cost.
That's strange, Carol. I bought Nita's book through Amazon.co.uk for 'Er Indoors in December; no problem.

I also don't think their postal charges are hefty, certainly not if buying several books at the same time. Before Christmas I bought 7 or 8 books, some of which were quite heavy, and paid about £6 postage (admittedly, it wouldn't have been much less for 1 item). Because 2 items were out of stock Amazon split the delivery without extra charge and the bigger package arrived by courier within a week. The other items arrived a few days later by mail.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:13 pm

It's available through Amazon.co.uk but not through Marketplace where the sellers offer discounted prices.
Just checked for a book order on Amazon.co.uk and the postage cost for one book to Greece = £4.98.

Must try Amazon.de next time - but don't have a translator.

Return to “Chatter”