Stormy weather

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
Jean

Stormy weather

Postby Jean » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:13 pm

I suppose that those of you who live here have noticed that there is quite a storm blowing. For those who aren't in Crete to see here are a few photos: http://www.west-crete.com/photos-chania-storm.htm

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:46 pm

Cool photo's Jean!

Is that Hania?
Living in Crete!!

Nita

Postby Nita » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:26 pm

'Cool' wasn't quite how I would describe it, the wind is very strong and cold. Have only ventured out to give the dog a quick run first thing - the running bit was his idea, he hates the wind!

Great photos, the first two certainly look like Chania but can't quite place them, the remainder are the harbour.

altohb

Stormy weather

Postby altohb » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:33 pm

The adjectives I'd use to describe this weather are not fit for print! Here in Sitia we've had nearly 24 hours of violent northerly winds and rain/hail to go with them. Our large dog went base over apex when I took him out this morning, and I was nearly knocked off my feet as well. Our hallway has resembled a lake, as seals round the front door inadequate/non-existent, and part of the solar panel has just blown off - aargh! Just hope the immersion heater still works as the prospect of no hot water is not appealing!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:35 pm

The first two look like the old beach area to the east of the harbour looking back towards the town from the far end.

Just been talking to some friends who are staying in Chania at the moment. They said that the police had blocked off entry to the harbour area this morning. Tavernas/cafes were taking in everything and taking down screens that might get blown away.

Nice pics, Jean.

Warwick

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:53 pm

As I said, cool photo's - doesn't mean I necessarily want to be out there in it all!! I have witnessed torrential rain and wind when we were over a couple of years ago in the February but not quite to the extent shown in the pictures!!

Definitely one of those duvet days that our friends keep saying they have during the winter!!
Living in Crete!!

Jean

Postby Jean » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:30 pm

The first two look like the old beach area to the east of the harbour looking back towards the town from the far end.

Yes, in the forefront of the top two photos is the area of Chania called Koum Kapi which is located to the East of the eastern Venetian bastion.

Return to “Chatter”