Garden tools

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
FlatEric

Garden tools

Postby FlatEric » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:40 pm

Hi. Hope you are all well and dried out after the latest sprinkling of rain!

Does anyone know where I can get a Dutch Hoe and a max/min thermometer in the Chania area?

Stuart

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:18 pm

You might get a Dutch hoe at Fertility in Kalyves. Last time I went there they had selection of garden tools typically used in the UK. (I hesitate to call a Dutch hoe and English garden tool). The shop is next to Germanos on the road to Armenoi.

The owner, Giorgios, obtained his degree in horticulture in England, speaks English well and is very helpful.

Failing that, as it's only a few metres further, it might be worth investigating at the nursery.

FlatEric

Postby FlatEric » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:56 pm

Thanks Filippos. I tried the nursery but didn't think to try Fertility. I'll take a look next time I'm passing.

Stuart

john4d

Postby john4d » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:17 pm

I had mine specially flown in from the UK. It came as hold luggage when my son visited me. Olympic Airlines managed to lose it, and my son reported it missing. Next day the airline phoned me up and said "We have your steel pole" They had obviously never seen a Dutch hoe.

John
There's no such thing as a bad taste joke

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:31 pm

I also couldn't find one in Greece so brought one in from the UK. I just bought a head and got a wooden shaft here. Can't remember where I got it from. I know I ordered one for delivery to a friend's house and they kept sending emails saying they would deliver soon but never did.

Warwick

john4d

Postby john4d » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:46 pm

I asked my son just to buy the head which would have fitted in a suitcase easily, but he left it to the last minute and dashed out and bought the first one he found, hence the steel shaft!

John
There's no such thing as a bad taste joke

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:16 pm

Just buying a head is very difficult now. You can get them for the sort of tool range that uses interchangeable heads for different tasks but you then still need the shaft that goes with that range. Simple ones seem to have gone out of fashion.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:37 pm

Get one of the metalworkers here to make one.

peebee

Postby peebee » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:00 am

Might be worth trying the hardware shop opposite Kritikos in Kalyves. I have bought a range of gardening tools there, they are located on the right as you walk through the door.

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:17 pm

filippos wrote:Get one of the metalworkers here to make one.

That's a good suggestion. (But I don't know any - apart from the workshop in Georgioupolis on the junction of the Eucalyptus avenue.)

xirosternifellow

Postby xirosternifellow » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:08 pm

I bought the head from uk and fitted the handle here. They donot seem to stock the dutch hoe for some reason. :roll:

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:22 pm

xirosternifellow wrote:They donot seem to stock the dutch hoe for some reason.
Perhaps because it's a tool that's not traditional in Greece/unknown here? How many garden shops or tool merchants in the UK stock, say, a range of tzappas?

FlatEric

Postby FlatEric » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:00 am

I think you are probably correct filippos. Having thought about it a Dutch Hoe would be fine for 'prepared' flower/veg beds but I can imagine it would be pretty uncomfortable to use in rocky soil. I suspect the tools available here are more suited to general cultivation locally.

One more item for my shopping list next time I'm in the UK.

Stuart

filippos

Postby filippos » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:38 am

The Dutch hoe I had (sold at a tabletop long ago) was excellent once the ground had been dug over about six times and gradually broken down and had piles of stones extracted.

As I said previously a metalworker here could probably knock up an equivalent in a few minutes: it may not look elegant but would do the job well. I'm not sure if he's still there but there was a man with a workshop behind/next to the petrol station on the right as you enter Vamos from the Kalyves direction. Mainly wrought iron work and, amongst other things, did/does any repair work needed on fences/gates at the demotiko in Vamos.

Worth asking around in places like Plaka, Kokkino Xorio etc., as there could well be someone with a tiny workshop in his garage.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:53 am

FlatEric wrote:...One more item for my shopping list next time I'm in the UK...

I'm pretty sure some of the shops here sell garden tools that have interchangeable heads. I'm pretty sure I saw some a long time ago in the garden centre in Plaka. It might be worth having a look round, see which make they sell and then buying a dutch hoe head for that range. At least you could buy the shaft here and save having to bring that back with you.

Warwick

Return to “Chatter”