Chinese Food

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
johnincrete

Chinese Food

Postby johnincrete » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:30 pm

I really miss my favourite sweet & sour. Does anyone know a restaurant that sells chinese food?

Yes, I know I can cook it myself but it's never as good as going out, being served & drinking china tea

filippos

Re: Chinese Food

Postby filippos » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:42 pm

There's one near the Cathedral in Halidon. If you stand in Halidon Street facing the cathedral it's on the right, about 30 metres into the square. We haven't been able to get there yet but intend so doing as it has been highly recommended to us by a couple of people. One of those is an American Greek working in Xania; when she first recommended it she said she'd discovered it when taken there by a boy friend and had returned to eat there five times in the following seven days. She's now a regular patron. Can't remember the name but last time I passed it the words 'Chinese Restaurant' were writ large on the sign outside.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:28 pm

There used to be one at the bottom of Halidon. Turn into a passageway on the left hand side a little before you get to the fountain. I must admit I haven't noticed if it is still there. When it is open it tends to have a menu propped up on a stand at the entrance to the passage.

Closer to you, there is one, or possibly more than one, on the tourist strip in Platanias but they are only open in the summer I think.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:58 pm

Kilkis wrote:There used to be one at the bottom of Halidon.
I think "..used to be.." is correct: I think it closed at least a year ago.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:06 am

You could well be correct, John. I honestly can't remember when I last walked down Halidon. I rarely go into Chania and when I do I tend to park on the waste ground next to the open air theatre or sometimes near the other end of the harbour on the road or in the free car parks near the statue of the hand.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:11 am

Kilkis wrote:........, John...
?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:17 am

Oooops.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:22 pm

filippos wrote:There's one near the Cathedral in Halidon. If you stand in Halidon Street facing the cathedral it's on the right, about 30 metres into the square.

That's the Orthodox cathedral then Phil and not the Catholic one, which in your description would be behind you! Will have a good look at it on Sunday. Thanks for the tip. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

BST

Postby BST » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:24 pm

What about a decent Indian restaurant, or infact any Indian restaurant? Chinese is quite easy to make but to make an Indian as you would get in a restaurant is impossible!

filippos

Postby filippos » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:54 pm

The vast majority of Greek people I know don't much like spicy food. About the spiciest thing I've found here is tyrokafteri or the raw green chillies, which aren't especially hot, that a few places put on top of a salad. At a Greek party our hostess, a superb cook, produced a curry for our benefit as, "I know you like spicy food". She warned other guests that the flavour was very hot: most avoided it but one or two were brave enough to try and declared it delicious, if rather spicy.

It was indeed very tasty and almost as perspiration inducing as..................a chicken korma. I've eaten spicier beef in ale pie. I doubt that a 'proper' Indian restaurant would survive for very long. I think most of the few Chinese places that opened weren't around very long.

BST

Postby BST » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:26 pm

Oh well, it's one thing to really look forward to back in blighty! :D

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:29 pm

A good Greek boy would never eat any food unless he had previously been fed it by his mother. Obviously there are exceptions but the rule works far more than it fails.

Again there is/are Indian restaurant(s) on the Platanias tourist strip in summer. I tried one once but I wasn't impressed. All dishes tasted the same.

Typically there are two long green peppers commonly sold in Greece. Τηγανητά are the larger ones and, as the name suggests, are normally fried, either whole or cut into rings. They are not spicy at all. You don't see the slightly smaller καυτερή type often in Crete but they are sold everywhere in northern Greece. There they are grilled or barbecued to blacken the skin and then served warm or cold in olive oil. While they do vary I have eaten them hotter than the small green peppers used in Jalfrezi. Numb lips and a sore throat. My neighbour would always order a dish whenever we ate in a taverna and the hotter they were the better. He wouldn't dream of eating curry because, "It is too spicy". Go figure.

I think it is perfectly possible to make curry the same as Indian restaurants serve in the UK. If people are interested there is a book by Kris Dhillon called The Curry Secret, which is specifically aimed at "How to Cook Real Indian Restaurant Meals at Home", i.e. its sub-title. See http://tinyurl.com/om9l7y2

Warwick

ScotinCrete

Postby ScotinCrete » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:42 pm

Our Greek friends asked me to make them a curry. A Chicken jalfrezi was produced, consumed with appreciative noises but general agreement was that brizolas and patates were better. :D

I would really reccomend Anjum Anand's books though there are so many online recipes it's hard to choose just one.
For spices - the Agora in Xania will have most or Toko in Kalyves will definitely have all the ingredients.

In John the Butchers in Vamos there are adverts for both Chinese and Indian deliveries. Haven't tried them though.

peebee

Postby peebee » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:27 am

If you want hot chillies (piri-piri), Floraplant in Kalyves sell the plants.
A friend of ours brought us some fresh Scotch Bonnet chillies from the UK, we planted some seeds and got a load of plants from just one or two peppers.
We distributed them to some friends here, and they also succeeded in producing hundreds of the red-hot blighters.
You can buy the seeds on-line, have them delivered here and grow your own.

Ros21

Postby Ros21 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:02 am

This Chinese Restaurant has been recommended by several people, but maybe too far away for you.
Restaurant PAN ASIA
Address: Kokkini Hani
Tel: +30 2810 761 526
Operation hours: Daily from 17:00. Sundays from noon.
Open: All Year
Facebook: www.facebook.com/panasia.kokkinihani

Return to “Chatter”