Pervolakia Gorge

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
Jeffstclair

Pervolakia Gorge

Postby Jeffstclair » Thu May 14, 2015 5:30 pm

Very sad news about the climbing accident in the gorge just near me on Friday , two very experieced climbers and well known in the area, in their 60's from Austria ....my thoughts go to their families ....jeff

SatCure

Re: Pervolakia Gorge

Postby SatCure » Fri May 15, 2015 8:47 am

Mixos

Re: Pervolakia Gorge

Postby Mixos » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:13 pm

Jeff, I'd forgotten about this post of yours from 2015 until yesterday, when we walked the Pervolakia Gorge for the first time and came across the memorial to the two climbers, Albert and Robert. I wonder if you've been there, if you live close by? About 40 minutes in from the top of the gorge you come to the rockface where the two men fell. It's marked by a simple memorial -- a large sheet of metal with their names inscribed and the image of a climber scaling the cliff face cut into the metal. It's been allowed to rust, which matches the rocks, and there are pictures of the men fixed to the wall. Fellow climbers and walkers have written poems and messages on stones around the base of the slab. It's a very moving place, especially as it was yesterday, on a beautiful sunny day with no other people in the gorge and only the eagles and buzzards way overhead and a few sheep scrambling over the rocks. Makes you realise how fragile life can be.

Return to “Chatter”