Greek newspapers

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
George

Greek newspapers

Postby George » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:53 pm

Is there such a thing as a Greek newspaper that is not anti Syriza? I have been following the recent developments both here and online and have come to the speedy conclusion that Tsipras and co are on a hiding to nothing if you believe the Greek papers. I know in another thread that Clio was outraged at the reporting of shortages etc in the UK press, but over here you can still find views that back Varoufakis and his opinions. According to Vima the country is teetering on the brink of an unparalleled disaster unless people vote yes in the referendum. Ekathimerini sings from the same sheet, so I was just wondering if there's a national big paper that's backing the government?

Slightly off topic was the poll results showing that the majority of pensioners are going to vote yes which has me questioning their sanity - don't they know what the creditors want to impose on them? And if they do, why would they vote for it?

Kilkis

Re: Greek newspapers

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:52 pm

Avgi is a pro-Syriza newspaper and Rizospastis is linked to the Communist party. While there is no love lost between Syriza and the Communists, since the latter think the former are traitors to the cause, Rizospastis would still tend to support Syriza in the current conflict. Virtually everything else is owned by oligarchs who also own the TV stations so they are on the other side.

Many of the older generation have lived through Nazi occupation, some, in the north, administered by Bulgarians which was even worse, civil war which set brother against brother and permanently shattered families, an ultra right wing monarchy and a military Junta that persecuted everybody who were considered to oppose them without trial. They know that it can be much worse than austerity so they tend to vote YES. The young have no such experience, they have hope and they tend to lack fear. They are prepared to challenge the creditors and vote NO. Not that unusual. In the Scottish referendum the young tended to vote YES, which is why the SNP wanted to include 16 to 18 year olds. The old tend to be more cautious and vote NO.

Warwick

ScotinCrete

Postby ScotinCrete » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:53 pm

Our Greek teacher is a KKE member and gave us some links to newspapers "telling the truth" as she said :)
We agreed some time ago that I am too old to have ideals anymore and she is too young to be pragmatic so we talk about food, drink and music instead :D

No different here than any other country, papers don't sell by taking a balanced view and bad news sells much better than good news :?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:13 pm

I think UK ex-pats don't really understand the role of Communism in southern Europe. In the UK there has never been more than 2 Communist MPs in any parliament and zero since 1950. Communism has always been a very minor influence in UK politics. Communists were also persecuted in the UK under McCarthyism in the 50s in the same way as in the USA. While they exerted some influence through the trade union movement and in local councils, they have never really had a significant impact.

In countries like Greece and Italy communism has always been and continues to be quite a strong force. The civil war in Greece, after Nazi occupation, was fought between the communists and the far right monarchists. Without support for the monarchists by the western alliance, especially Churchill and the UK, it is quite possible that Greece would have become part of the Soviet block. Even today there are many villages that vote almost 100 % communist in general elections. In Italy many priests and nuns are communist despite the communist doctrine decrying the role of the church. If you ignore the various corrupt communist regimes that have flourished, the basic concept of "Let each give according to his abilities and receive according to his needs" is not that far from Christian doctrine? The various Communist regimes that have existed bear as much similarity to the underlying ideas of communism as the western regimes bear to the ideas of capitalism. The rulers of both regimes corrupt the ideas to suit their own purposes. Currently we don't live in a capitalist society but a monetarist kleptocracy.

Warwick

johnincrete

Postby johnincrete » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:41 am

Kilkis asks:
"Let each give according to his abilities and receive according to his needs" is not that far from Christian doctrine?

Yes, it is a Christian way but, of course, not the principle belief that Jesus is the Saviour. I was going to say that, while it is a Christian way, Christians do not exhibit the same corrupting influence as is seen in communist regimes. But my current study of the history of Christianity shows man's inbuilt selfishness and love of power/money has always created problems - that's why the selflessness of the first, Apostle-taught churches was so exeptional.

Maybe there is a big diffeence between Comunism and communialism? The genorosity of Greek people, particularly those in villages, is an exampe of the latter term and so too is the barter system with foodstuff.

The cheerfulness of the Greeks I meet everyday is astounding and gives me great hope for the Nation's future.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:28 pm

I just love that word KLEPTOCRACY Warwick. So expressive, so definitive - and currently so apt. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:16 pm

George wrote:Is there such a thing as a Greek newspaper that is not anti Syriza?

If you read the following article you'll realise why so few newspapers and news channels tell the truth.
http://www.4thmedia.org/2014/10/exclusi ... he-public/

George

Postby George » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:35 am

SatCure wrote:If you read the following article you'll realise why so few newspapers and news channels tell the truth.

Very interesting article, and makes me feel somewhat vindicated by choosing not to have bought newspapers for many years now. My reason for reading Greek newspapers online is an ongoing attempt to improve my limited understanding of Greek, a long, drawn out and, sometimes painful process. On the bright side I now know all about crisis, dilemma, meetings and impending doom.

Return to “Chatter”