A Place in the Sun (winter sun)

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
marion

A Place in the Sun (winter sun)

Postby marion » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:18 pm

Crete was featured on the programme shown on More 4 last night. It was filmed October 2014. You can watch it on i player, anyone who might be interested.

louisejersey

Re: A Place in the Sun (winter sun)

Postby louisejersey » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:19 am

Thanks Marion, I had seen it advertised then forgot . Will try and watch tonight.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:22 am

I think to watch catch up or streamed programmes from any Channel 4 service, including More 4, you need the All 4 app not iPlayer. iPlayer is only for BBC.

Warwick

marion

Postby marion » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:41 pm

Yes you are right Warwick i should have said All 4.

thanks

Marion

louisejersey

Postby louisejersey » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:28 pm

I know what you mean though, I tend to say "i player" for all the channels.

scooby

Postby scooby » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:14 pm

Hope it was the pretty side of the island.
Men in suits will always make you pay.

marion

Postby marion » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:19 pm

Naughty, naughty Scoobie - I am not going to get into that discussion.

The couple viewed properties in Maleme, Vamos, Gavalhori and Stilos and bought a property in the villlage of Stilos (or is it Stylos?)

louisejersey

Postby louisejersey » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:09 pm

Wrong side of the Island for me. :D . Lovely house they chose though.

Cruc

Postby Cruc » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:51 pm

Past programmes have been presented by Jasmine Harman who seemed to carry out a lot of research into the area and also the property she was showing the buyers. She also involved local people with regard to area. :D After about 10 minutes I felt that Laura Hamilton had done no research and in fact had just spoken to local agents and asked what was available for 250,000 Euro. :x :x

The father and daughter had a list of requirements one of which that as he suffered with breathing problems that they did not want hilly areas. So where does she take them Vamos. :idea: I thought, well Bruce I hope you have plenty of inhalers for all those hills or a motorised wheelchair. :?:

The second requirement was for open spaces, sea view and friendly for children. So another property was in Gavalohori with no outside space a bath in the court yard and a view of the back of another house. Well done Laura excelled yourself with that one. :lol:

I also felt sorry for Maria the cook, she said hello showed us some potatoes and a knife and then said goodbye. Why not interact with her ask about Greek cooking and what she teachers. It felt as though she was used as a time filler as was the reintroduction of the programme after the adverts. Every time the programme started Laura went on to tell us about what we had seen in the previous part, I am not a goldfish I can remember what happened 4 minutes ago. Show us more of the area which your trying to sell rather than repeating yourself.

I think the house they eventually bought was more luck than judgement.

I won’t be watching the next episode.
Regards
Cruc

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:17 pm

Endlessly repeating the same information is a standard feature of this type of programme. Location Location Location Revisited was the worst offender. Since most original programmes terminated before the people had completed what they set out to achieve the idea was to revisit them now a couple of years later to see how they had got on. A typical episode consisted almost entirely of the original episode with about 3 minutes at the end going back to the property now to see how things had developed.

Warwick

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:09 pm

Just watched the programme. Pretty much as expected. A couple of comments:

The "property expert" at the beginning is actually the accountant that many of us on this forum use and recommend.

I'm sure I heard the presenter say, near the beginning of the programme, that 80 % of the properties in Chania are owned by foreigners? Is she serious?

What is it about Brit's eyesight that they look at the word Chania and immediately see an "R" in the middle of it? I don't expect them to put the stress in the correct place, since I accept that it is counter-intuitive to English ears, but where the hell does the "R" come from?

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:54 pm

Kilkis wrote:Just watched the programme. Pretty much as expected. A couple of comments:

The "property expert" at the beginning is actually the accountant that many of us on this forum use and recommend.

I'm sure I heard the presenter say, near the beginning of the programme, that 80 % of the properties in Chania are owned by foreigners? Is she serious?

What is it about Brit's eyesight that they look at the word Chania and immediately see an "R" in the middle of it? I don't expect them to put the stress in the correct place, since I accept that it is counter-intuitive to English ears, but where the hell does the "R" come from?

Warwick

Relax Warwick! We were sitting by the harbour a few years ago and heard a Scandiwegian (could have been from anywhere that has blond hair and blue eyes - and that's just the bloke) Tour Guide say to his flock - "Welcome to Chain-yer" (as in tie - yer to the lamp-post).

Yes, the intrusive R is a problem - especially in PLARKA near Almyrida. There are a few advantages to having learned some flat northern vowels.

Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:06 pm

Ever heard of Kiera, on the way from Kaleevz to Almirida?

BST

Postby BST » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:24 pm

Just watched the programme. It's actually 90% non greeks who live around Chania!!!! I think there were several other laughable errors - "only 3 houses have come up for sale in Gavalachori in the last 15 years" - really!!! The funniest comment was the reference "you might need a fire here ( Vamos) IF it gets a bit chilly in the winter" :D :D . as Bruce was planning on spending time here in Jan or Feb, I think the best advice would have been to look for a house with central heating! Only one of the properties had radiators. Anyway, lots of tripe spoken but entertaining as usual. However, she is a hopeless presenter! Jasmine is in a different league.
Warwick - Charnia became Chania in the middle of Vamos village! Maybe one of the 10% Greeks had a word with her? :D

BST

Postby BST » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:27 pm

PS She did talk about "grarss" instead of grass so maybe putting an R in the middle is the norm? :D :wink:

Return to “Chatter”