A Place in the Sun (winter sun)

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
Clio

Re: A Place in the Sun (winter sun)

Postby Clio » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:22 pm

One day last summer I was chatting with Martina and Vangelio, Romanian and Greek respectively. They are both serious linguists, speak really good English,and are aware that English English is dfferent from the American English which is what they seem to have have been taught since Michigan replaced Cambridge in the syllabus of many frontistiria.

They always ask that I correct them if they are not speaking “proper” English, so it got a bit tricky when one of them talked of “falling on my ass”, as in “collapsing on my donkey”.

I told them the correct Received Pronunciation but added that ass with an “ah” is grammatically correct but socially not exactly μια ευγενική έκφραση. So which word, they asked, would be acceptable?

Well I I can think of at least four words in common usage, not even including derriere or posterior, but it would take a better teacher than me to explain exactly when, and in addressing whom, a ‘bum’ becomes a “behind”….

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:43 am

filippos wrote:Ever heard of Kiera, on the way from Kaleevz to Almirida?

Indeed Phil. A common error - along with Almyr-id-ia, Al-mer-eeda , Almer-i-dia and Irak-i-lon (that's an 'eye' between the k and the l.) Have also heard Kal-eye-vs.! Probably all boils down to not being able to read the Greek road signs and not understanding the significance the stress mark in Greek. But to be fair (?) even the Greek people recognise that the language is 'difficult' for foreigners. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

thebigbluecheese

Postby thebigbluecheese » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:15 pm

I have looked at series 1, 2 and 3 of a place in the sun winter sun and the Crete episode is not listed . Is everyone sure it was a 2014 winter sun episode ? Can't find it on any if the tv download sites

peebee

Postby peebee » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:34 pm

peebee

Postby peebee » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:45 pm

john4d

Postby john4d » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:41 pm

The buyer, a retired vet called Bruce, wanted to invest his £250,000 pension pot in a holiday home to be used by he and his wife and his three adult daughters. More importantly though he wanted the property to generate rental income as a pension. Only one of the properties he was shown was already used for holiday lets so presumably had an EOT license, we were told that most of the others did not have a license. This raised in my mind two questions which have been discussed on this forum extensively,

1) How easy would it be to obtain an EOT license and at what cost?

2) What would the tax implications be for Bruce in purchasing a holiday let? and remaining UK based. Inheritance tax, CGT, rental income?

These questions were not addressed on the program despite having that excellent accountant, George, available

John
There's no such thing as a bad taste joke

thebigbluecheese

Postby thebigbluecheese » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:48 am

Thanks PEEPEE , but I dont want it on catchup , I do not like installing VPNs on my computer so I have been trying to download the episode . This perticular episode must be something other than A Place in the Sun -Winter sun as I have downloaded all 3 series and its not on there . I have been going through every episode of A place in the Sun - summer sun as well but its a difficult task when I dont know the series or episode number

johnincrete

Postby johnincrete » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:04 am

I remember laughing when the air hostess announced that we were coming in to land at Charnia - I thought about C.S.Lewis!

My brother always pronounced it Charnia despite being corrected. The only Christmas cards that got through this year were addressed to Charnia.

I used to have a bath not a barth now I have a shower not a shore. This affected pronunciation always comes a cropper with ass. I agree Bob , we northerners i.e. those who were born north of the M25, have the correct pronunciation.

I learnt to speak my home town's name properly from a Greek: HHH (clearing the throat as in Loch), n, YA; with my inability to do the Loch bit it came out as HnYA with the first sillable being almost swallowed. Sadly, I get lazy when talking to English people and pronounce it Hania with equal emphasis on the syllables and English i & a. AS my teachers used to say "must do better"

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:09 am

thebigbluecheese wrote:Thanks PEEPEE , but I dont want it on catchup ,...

It is the current series, i.e. 2015-2016. It is being broadcast now. I would guess Peebee watched it when that particular episode was being broadcast for the first time. Would the torrent sites you are searching have the current series so quickly?

Warwick

thebigbluecheese

Postby thebigbluecheese » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:04 am

Cheers Warick . yes the sites I use have the aired programmes available almost imidiately after they have been shown . the currunt series of a plce in the sun started on monday 4th january on channel 4 . the series which are shown on more 4 are repeats . I think someone said earlier that the programme was from 2014 . I am still searching , maybe I will email more4 and ask them what series and episode it was

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:26 am

According to this page it is 2015 & 2016.

Warwick

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:46 am

thebigbluecheese wrote:Thanks PEEPEE , but I dont want it on catchup , I do not like installing VPNs on my computer so I have been trying to download the episode . This perticular episode must be something other than A Place in the Sun -Winter sun as I have downloaded all 3 series and its not on there . I have been going through every episode of A place in the Sun - summer sun as well but its a difficult task when I dont know the series or episode number

I have a low-quality recording - iPad size - if that's any use. (Email me.)

Martin

Clio

Postby Clio » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:57 pm

I used to have a bath not a barth

When the kids were small we moved from London to Lancashire. The youngest’s new school had a swimming lesson at the local pool of a Monday evening, after which I used to dunk him at home to get rid of the chlorine. Which once had him asking crossly: “Why do I always have to have a barth when I’ve been to the Baths?”

thebigbluecheese

Postby thebigbluecheese » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:39 pm

Cheers Martin , I have now found it .... As Warwick says , the episode featuring Crete was filmed in October 2015 so it is part of the new series .. will watch it later . I do like A Place in the sun but Im not a fan of Laura hamleton , the other presenters seem so much better

Al

Postby Al » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:30 am

Good God. You English and your "r's" (arse). If there's an "r" in the word, just pronounce it! Please. If there isn't - don't. Simple.

Return to “Chatter”