Can anyone recommend a trypical Cretan taverna with Greek Music and Dancing, plate throwing

Chat and items of interest about Crete and Greece.
Tweedie

Can anyone recommend a trypical Cretan taverna with Greek Music and Dancing, plate throwing

Postby Tweedie » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:02 pm

Hi can anyone recommend the above near to the Drapanos area of Crete - although we could of course drive/ get a taxi if not too far away but worth it. Many Thanks.

filippos

Re: Can anyone recommend a trypical Cretan taverna with Greek Music and Dancing, plate throwing

Postby filippos » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:55 pm

Plate throwing has been illegal in Greece for years and I've never seen it in 22 years of visiting/living in Crete. If people go wild at tavernas and celebrations they throw paper table napkins instead of crockery. I have, very occasionally, seen a beer bottle deliberately dropped on the floor from about waist height.

Many tavernas have live music nights at least on a weekly basis through the summer and there's the occasional night with Greek dancing demos. Most dancing is started spontaneously by local people on a night out at any taverna where there's Greek live music. Visitors are welcome to join in.

P.S. Not sure if any of the above happens in "Trypical" tavernas

Kilkis

Re: Can anyone recommend a trypical Cretan taverna with Greek Music and Dancing, plate throwing

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:40 pm

If you want to see plate throwing and dancing on tables visit a Greek restaurant in the UK. You won't see it in Greece. I have been at parties in people's houses at Pascha where they have saved up a few plates that got cracked during the year and have thrown those on the floor for "old time's sake" but I have never seen it in a Greek taverna here. In the rest of Greece you won't hear guns being fired either, since that is also illegal.

Warwick

scooby

Postby scooby » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:41 pm

I have seen plate (and bottle) smashing at two tavernas, one was at Easter and the other one on August 16th (not sure what the celebration is). Not an everyday occurrence though.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:57 pm

That would be August 15 not 16. I always said you were a day behind everybody else? Can you remember which tavernas this was at? I guess if this was with a Greek parea and she who must be obeyed was driving, then probably not?

It's known as the Feast of the Dormition of the Theotokos. It's a national holiday and one of the name days for women called Maria. I think mostly older women but I am not sure. Visit Tinos then and it is a sea of black as women, especially widows, go there on pilgrimage.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:50 pm

Kilkis wrote:name days for women called Maria. I think mostly older women but I am not sure.
Married Marias, I think. We Once wished a teenaged Maria Xronia Polla and her Mum gently admonished us as, "Today is for married women called Maria. The day for single women is ...." I don't remember the actual date and don't have time to look it up right now.

scooby

Postby scooby » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:03 pm

Kilkis wrote:That would be August 15 not 16. I always said you were a day behind everybody else? Can you remember which tavernas this was at? I guess if this was with a Greek parea and she who must be obeyed was driving, then probably not?

It's known as the Feast of the Dormition of the Theotokos. It's a national holiday and one of the name days for women called Maria. I think mostly older women but I am not sure. Visit Tinos then and it is a sea of black as women, especially widows, go there on pilgrimage.

Warwick
It was actually the 16th, must have done it the next day, the taverna was Matigis and yes the better half was driving as I drove to the taverna, you know how I like to do my bit. We just decided to go for a quiet meal but when we got there live music was on. Excellent night.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:16 pm

Ever the gentleman?

Warwick

DRAPANOSJANE

Postby DRAPANOSJANE » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:15 pm

There is a lovely taverna at Aptera who have Greek dancing nights in the summer. http://www.cretancorner.gr
but I don't think plate smashing !!! Worth the taxi fare .

Maud

Postby Maud » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:44 pm

[quote="Kilkis"]

Visit Tinos then and it is a sea of black as women, especially widows, go there on pilgrimage.

Warwick[/quote]

We were on a ferry from Rafina to Andros about four years ago. - Next stop after Andros is Tinos. Nobody warned us about the pilgrimage! It was like being on the London Underground in rush hour re the crush......but 100 times louder!!! I had been a little confused by the number of plastic chairs put on the ferry when we first boarded. (Early, before the rush!). Suddenly everyone descended like a plague of locusts! The chairs were needed to accommodate all the passengers! If you stood up you lost your seat! Take a tip from us and avoid sailing the route from from Rafina to Andros, Tinos, Naxos mid August!

We have friends who have eaten at 'Cretan Corner' when they stayed in Aptera for a few days. They said the food was good. - Not tried it ourselves. Re plate smashing.........I always thought it was more of a Cypriot tradition?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:49 pm

Maud wrote: Re plate smashing.........I always thought it was more of a Cypriot tradition?

Really Cypriot tradition is Greek tradition. Just like there are differences between practises in different regions of the UK, traditions vary in different regions of Greece. Plate smashing was common across all Greece but usually at celebration events rather than general taverna meals. It was banned by the Junta and is still illegal in nightclubs I think. It does still go on to a small extent but it is not common.

Warwick

Maud

Postby Maud » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:03 pm

Plate throwing was always popular in Greek Cypriot restaurants in London in our younger days. My two Godsons are half Cypriot, and we frequented the Greek Cypriot eating places with their father when we were all in our student days. - Plate throwing was always 'on the menu' .....although we had more sense than to join in, knowing we would get charged for the plates!

I have seen it done in Cyprus but never on Kriti, but then we only ever visited Greece on a few occasions before the junta swept to power. To be honest I would rather give it a miss these days! We have been to weddings and not seen it happen......just the usual guns being let off! As you mention Kilkis, it is probably a regional thing, - which the Cypriots have embraced more than many other regions of Greece. It is quite dangerous......the boots the dancers wear are not just part of traditional dress, they are also to protect their legs.....according to our Cypriot friend Stavros. I gather plastic or plaster plates are used more these days.

filippos

Postby filippos » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:42 pm

Maud wrote:I gather plastic or plaster plates are used more these days.
Reminds me of the classic 'Only Fools and Horses' episode in which Delboy's restaurateur friend was booked for a party where plate smashing was planned so extra crockery was needed. Delboy had a source, got the order and supplied the plates but, unaware of the plate throwing, provided unbreakable plastic ones.

Maud

Postby Maud » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:59 am

Yes, I remember that one as well Filippos. - Classic television!

margarita

Postby margarita » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:41 pm

There was an advert with Arthur Daley selling unbreakable plates to Nick the Greek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J3kv1j4ToY

it starts at 1:55

Return to “Chatter”