The Scottish Invasion -The story so far...well almost

Archive of "Just now in Crete" plus Cretan Adventures.
jimbolou

The Scottish Invasion -The story so far...well almost

Postby jimbolou » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:47 pm

Having read through Andheaths adventures i was almost inspired to log my own but then common sense prevailed....nearly.
:lol:

I know everyone on this and other forums all have their dreams etc and i am know different. I would love to hear other peoples, thats if they want to share them. :shock: The highs and lows.

Ever since i can remember i have always loved the Greek way, dont know what inspired it (sunshine may be a clue).My partner and me both fell in love with Kefalonia and even to this day we still do, but Crete was always the choice for all year round living. We like most people here have loads of Greek friends.
Our ongoing move has been a serious of highs and lows from the putting the hoos on the market at a bad time to all the crap from the planning department for a garage that has been up for 13years, lawyers wanting us to pay for indemnities ,extra this, extra that and so on .Then finally the clouds cleared and all of a sudden the dream was nearly there.
Inbetween that theres the apartment hunt, furniture, tax numbers etc etc and jobs and stress levels to match the earthquakes....9.3 and rising.

Clarity and hindsight are wonderful things and as we all know they are in short supply. We would not change anything we have done or set out to do as we beleive its our destiny(quote from Louises friends) but they havent seen the the low points when we very nearly took the house of the market(3 weeks ago) because it all seemed doomed to fail, the tears and arguments (minor ish). But i wont preach to the converted or the experienced because we have learned from other peoples experiences on this and other sites and for that i say thanks.

Hence the Scottish invasion has begun in earnest..well almost....Istron here we come, well come the 1st May, walls are being built by RIC and companions but the offer of drinks on me may be to good an offer to all. Thers still a wee bit more to do and going by what ive learned so far thers still a long long long way to go. See you in Istron welcome one and all....bring your wallets :lol: Pm's accepted :lol:

Watch this space Jim 8)
whats for you wont go by you

Topdriller

Postby Topdriller » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:58 pm

Jimbo.

Glad to hear the move is gathering pace and with one month to go - and Celtic now out of every competition - it must be a relief to know you'll soon by 2000 miles away from all that stress :lol:

This may frighten you - and Andy - but next week I'll be down in Istron with a friend of ours (from Aberdeen) who has just finished rennovating a small house in Pyrgos. I appreciate you won't want a "Westie" invading your part of the island but we'll be in and out within 24 hours - promise !!

However, she will be back for the summer (6 weeks) so count on me knocking on your door and dragging you out for a beer or three.

Hope the move goes without too many hiccups and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Jon

ps don't forget to pack that little black number you wore in Rotherham!

jimbolou

Postby jimbolou » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:20 pm

Hi Jon,

Please dont poke fun at the opressed...the joys of being a hoop.
Yes i will be glad but i will be very sad to stop watching my beloved hoops in the flesh.
I moved to yorkshire 8 years ago and drive up for every home game and sit in the same seats that i have owned for the last 13 years and been watchin that shower of shite/ great team since i was 8 years old and it will be hard but its part of the scottish invasion plan that i pass my 2 season tickets to my family in Glasgow (that way i an sure to get to see them when i visit).

I hope yopu do come and take me for the beers because god knows i will need them after all this upheaval :lol:

Jim.... cheeky wee black number is packed and ready to go :lol:

andheath

Postby andheath » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:48 pm

Jim

You know all that upheaval. The selling up, deciding what to take and how to get rid of the other stuff. The lawyers, the banks, the plans for the trip, the endless lists, etc., etc.

A word of advice "just enjoy it".

When you arrive in Crete, it will be just the same with the added bonus of Greeks and the Greek language to contend with.

Looking back at our experience, yes it was stressful but it was also so exciting. It will take about three months but you will be soon be on GMT (Greek Maybe Time) when nothing happens and you will have all the time you ever wanted. So enjoy.

Andy
This Cretan Adventure thing is way beyond a joke.

jimbolou

Postby jimbolou » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:10 am

Andy,

Wise words my friend and thanks for them.

Its an adventure alright and a bloody exiting one. We in the UK are used to a specific standard and way of life and expect everything ASAP so i am preparing myself for the ride of my life, ther will be highs and lows and to be honesty i cant wait, i am nervous and exited at the same time, feel stressed and giddy but there you go the joys of the Scottish invasion.
Feel like a big / wee kid in a candy shop sometimes when i think about it so all appendages are crossed that all goes well and if i am lucky i may even see you in a bar propping it up and sipping (use that term loosely)some whisky thats if you still on it. Will be seeing Jon (topdriller) when i get there and his Mrs is also part of ther invasion force being a good Scot.

Be lucky and be happy and whats for you wont go by you

Jim :lol:

paulh

Postby paulh » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:55 am

Jim a word of advice when you do get here.

If you are going to wear that little black number get some decent knickers to go with it, no knickers is not acceptable and the navy blue serge might have been fine for people used to Rotherham High School for Girls but is a bit OTT here

Nita

Postby Nita » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:06 pm

paulh wrote:...get some decent knickers to go with it, no knickers is not acceptable

Paul the current trend is to go 'Commando' - unless, of course, the possibility of a draught is a problem for you :wink:

Topdriller

Postby Topdriller » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:08 pm

Please remember that old Jimbo is a Scot and therefore "going Commando" is not a problem !! In point of fact, it's a national must !!

Jon

jimbolou

Postby jimbolou » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:42 am

Chees Jon,

A wee bit les of the old please im only 41...going on 14, and thats it my secret is oot my fetish for going commando with my cheeky wee black number, and Paul you are right but i am not one for conventionality.....ah the feel of the warm summer sun on my....well you get the idea. :lol:

Happy day, the first of May...

Jim 8)

Topdriller

Postby Topdriller » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:03 am

Jimbo,

As a matter of fact you'll feel positively young once you get over here !! I'm 54 (going on 70) and if it wasn't for the fact that some of the so called "pensioners" here seem revitalised I'd also feel quite sprightly. As it is, I'm hard pushed to keep up with some of them !! Must have something to do with the Raki.

By the way, tomorrow I'm driving across the Island to Istron - some would say doing missionary work - and will report back if I "run into" any of the Eastenders!!

Jon

Topdriller

Postby Topdriller » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:33 pm

Has anyone heard of and know the whereabouts of a tavernna in Istron called Barba Yannis? The spelling may be wrong but the phonetics are pretty close. I was telling my physio - told you I felt old - as he manipulated my "dead" shoulder that I was going to Istron tomorrow and he said I should drop into the above named hostelry because it was excellent. He wasn't sure it would be open yet but I'd like to have a look -just in case it is.

Jon

Diesel Doris

Postby Diesel Doris » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:54 pm

Hi Jon

There is a taverna in Istron owned by a Yiannis - it is on the left as you drive through Istron, coming from Aghios, immediatately before "Commotions" Bar. At this minute I can't remember its 'proper name'. But it is open all year round.

I don't know of a 'Barba Yiannnis' but RIC might be able to help you more.

(I'm not there full time yet)

Caroline

Retired in Crete

Postby Retired in Crete » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:07 am

Diesel Doris wrote:I don't know of a 'Barba Yiannnis' but RIC might be able to help you more.
Caroline

Sorry but I have no idea, and I though I knew all the bars in Istron!

The Yiannis that Caroline mentions is a restaurant rather than a bar although I am sure that he will serve you a drink.

John

Topdriller

Postby Topdriller » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:04 am

Thanks for the replies. The Barba Yannis restaurant was open but my local friend - Manolis - said that the original owner had died (Yannis) and that it was now a souvlaki shop / bar and perhaps not the best example in the area! I took that to mean we would be eating somewhere else - which was indeed the case i.e. we went to an excellent restuarant in Ag Nic.

Istron did not look at its best yesterday, but then not much did as the wind swept across the bay, the rain made a concerted effort to bounce off the road and the temperature felt more like winter than early spring. To be honest though, Istron is not the most picturesque of towns, even in mid summer. However, go a few miles south of Istron and the views are to die for. Istron also has some lovely beaches and is known as one of he best wind surfing areas on that side of the island.

I drove from Istron to Chania in 2-1/2 hours which is not bad when you consider the weather etc. The roads were obviously far quieter than normal and getting through Malia whilst still a little taxing (due to the haphazard parking mores of the locals) was definitely not the chaotic problem it is during the summer season !!

One thing I noticed was the price of diesel as I drove home i.e. with my navigator nursing a hangover and at the end of her book our conversation consisted of a few grunts as I turned up the stereo. My sixties music does not always go down well with my country and western loving wife ! How could she not like the Marmalade ?!

The diesel price ranged from 121.9 euros a litre to 128.9 euros a litre and I began to wonder whether we should have a thread on this site which pinpointed the cheapest garage in each area? Not only would this make a big difference to car drivers but also to people buying heating oil (diesel). I know it's almost the end of the heating oil season but a difference of 7 cents a lite is considerable i.e. getting on for 30+ cents a gallon used and it would be handy to know he cheapest selling diesel / petrol garage in each area.

Just an idle thought when driving home through the rain and watching the suicidal locals overake me on blind bends !!

Jon

altohb

Postby altohb » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:18 am

Topdriller wrote:Just an idle thought when driving home through the rain and watching the suicidal locals overake me on blind bends !!

Jon

Does this imply that overuse of raki is what helps Greeks to see round corners! For those of us suffering Greek Grammar lessons, this could be a useful verb to learn....

overrako
overrakes
overrake
overrakoume
overrakete (a polite way to tell someone they have had enough)
overrakouv (actually, substitute other native wildlife for that one.)

H

Return to “Archive”