Cheese & Onion

Archive of "Just now in Crete" plus Cretan Adventures.
andheath

Cheese & Onion

Postby andheath » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:39 pm

Having been in Crete now approaching 10 months, the big things are a bit boring but the little things in life become more important, and one little thing is cheese and onion crisps. Now I know you can get crappy, so called "Cheese and Onion" by never heard of Crisps but I mean the real thing.

In Crete we have LAYS by all other names they are WALKERS as we know in the UK (for crisp anoraks we are talking Pepsi-cola Corp) but please, I ask you Oregano flavor, skata. We have a serious problem here and it is called the lack of the worlds most popular flavor crisp.

And so the tale. Recently on a trip to Heraklion, as usual I am too hot and in need of a cold diet coke. I pull in at the kiosk, head in the fridge when I hear H literally screaming "Andy, Andy blar, blar, blar..............

Panic attack, I thought she was being mugged or something, run to the car............Look she says, look LAYS cheese and Onion. They only had three packs so I bought them, fantastic.

A couple of days later I took an empty pack to my friend Maria at the best Kiosk near the Platea in Sitia. "Maria can you get these?

Today I have a box of 25 large packs, 32 euro something and a sell by date somewhere in 2009. I know this is sad but the little things in life are so often the best. Crunch.
This Cretan Adventure thing is way beyond a joke.

Nita

Postby Nita » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:48 pm

Andy, I know exactly how you feel, although with me it was when my local IN.KA first stocked Branston Pickle, thought I'd died and gone to heaven when I scoffed the first (small) jar in two sittings - nothing with it, just straight out of the jar with a spoon :shock:

andheath

Postby andheath » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:51 pm

Heinz Cream of tomato.....................Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Retired in Crete

Postby Retired in Crete » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:57 pm

Andy

You are treading a well worn path. It happens to all of us. In my case it was Shredded Wheat. I can run out of cigarettes, no problem, but at one time I would have killed for a plate of Shredded Wheat. All holiday visitors were advised that there would be no admittance without at least one pack. Result, I now have a cupboard full and never eat any!

You see it is the fact that you could not get them (you can now) which made them so desirable. This is why I never deride those who ask "Where can I buy Campbells Soup?" I know how important it can seem. We have all been there. You have just arrived a little sooner.

John

andheath

Postby andheath » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:08 am

In truth I really don't miss much but I do miss Pies. Cake shops and Pies.

Steak pie, Small Pork Pies, Sausage Rolls (particularly Greggs), Scotch Pies, Cheese and Onion pasties, Cornish pasties, Chicken pasties, Meat & Potato Pies, those little Meat Pies where the juice runs down your chin, Bridies. Oh just give me a decent pie right now. Pie and Peas in the Horseshoe Bar, mmmmmmmmm.

God bless them, the Greek bakers do try but I have to say their pies are crap and as for a decent sandwich, well thats another story.

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:24 am

Don't some people whinge?

The only thing I ever really missed was genuine Lee & Perrins. Then Halkiadakis started to sell it and I bought half the local store's stock. When that ran out, like RIC with his Shredded Wheat, I couldn't be bothered to go back for more. On my last visit to Halkiadakis about a year ago they'd stopped selling it so I was delighted about three months ago when, on another forum, a total stranger offered to bring some over [and did so]. The bottle's still nearly full.

A small jar of Branston from IN.KA can last us a month.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:02 am

Whenever the name Branston crops up I cannot get out of my mind a picture of somebody with their finger half way up their nose and the tune "Bring out the Branston" playing in the background. Can't remember which comedy show did it. Sorry to mention it.

Warwick

PS Knowing your Scottish connection, Andy, I would have thought Lamb and Mint Sauce flavour would have been more up your street?

andheath

Postby andheath » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:54 pm

Sorry Warwick I just am not a Lamb eater, just don't like it and as for mint sauce well, that is just a waste of good vinegar.

Somebody told me today, the problem making good pastry here is not because of the lack of Lard, it is because Greek flour is rubbish. It was news to me, I hadn't thought of that one, any thoughts guys? (or girls because I know some of the ladies try to cook at times).

Seventh Andy

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:14 pm

No thoughts on the Greek flour or lack of lard cos I've not tried to make pastry in Cete...

You'll just need to get friends to bring over prepacked puff & fillo pastry for you until you find a solution :lol: :wink:
Living in Crete!!

Nita

Postby Nita » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:41 pm

The flour here is definately a different quality, I've had to adjust a number of cake recipes as a result.

As for pastry I only make the Greek varieties now, with olive oil, turns out well every time and is much easier to make than rubbing in lard etc. Most supermarkets here stock a variety of pastry in the freezer sections, I've used them a couple of times and found them okay.

crete4us

Postby crete4us » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:52 am

Andheath - Come and have a talk with my better half re: pies,sausage rolls and cakes etc. she makes them all herself and I'm sure if you ask nicely she will let you be the next guinea pig. :lol:

Maybe I'm biased, but my lovely wife has never had a problem with the flour over here, it did take her a while to sort out the different types of flour to use for bread, cakes and pastry etc. then every cake, tart, loaf turned out just right.
Actually there are quite a few ( still living andy ) who are raving about her choc fudge cake and lemon drizzle cake, not forgetting the scones of course.

anyway try the different types of flour to find one that works for you.

K.
One life - one dream - GO for it !!

Topdriller

Postby Topdriller » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:56 am

Friends of ours were so disappointed with the Greek Flour that they recently trucked over a pallet of self raising and plain flour from the UK. Anyone who wants to can buy some. I'm reliably informed the Yorkshire puds served at the Black Lantern (West of Chania, Maleme way) are now made with Flo and Brian's imported flour.

Anyone interested can contact Brian and Francis at the address below.

brian@bhogg.com

Jon

Xenos

Postby Xenos » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:19 pm

Who are you trying to kid? You ain't got no friends.

According to your recent post on another site even your accountant won't talk to you!

Topdriller

Postby Topdriller » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:56 pm

Xenos,

I'm happy to say that what friends I may have, you are certainly not among them.

Then again, you seem to have nothing better to do than hang on to my every word so next time I've a book out will I put you down for one, two , a whole box?

Jon

andheath

Postby andheath » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:44 pm

Xenos interesting, very interesting, think I have to track you down......

TD I thought that was one of your better posts. Concise, contained some information, didn't include a whole lot of opinionated waffle. Pity really I guess you could be a good guy, shame you have this ability to attract loathing. I remember in school, there was this boy, we called him Widdy he was the same, I never understood it but people just used to hit him for no reason. I guess it is a special talent.

Anyway, this is about nice, fresh, tasty, Cheese & Onion, crunch, crunch, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm another 68 cent Amstell I think.

Return to “Archive”