Just Now In Crete - May

Archive of "Just now in Crete" plus Cretan Adventures.
Clio

Just Now In Crete - May

Postby Clio » Mon May 11, 2009 3:48 pm

Just now in Crete we are enjoying the glorious blossoming of a late damp spring, the riot of wildflowers that makes every hillside look colourwashed in pink purple or yellow.

Just now in Crete we are eating baby artichoke hearts finely sliced and dressed with lemon, and feasting on broad beans either raw or cooked in the pod.

Just now in Crete we are talking about the tourism crisis, the landfill crisis, and the forthcoming Euro elections.

Just now in Crete we are encouraging the children in their exams, and preparing to celebrate tomorrow’s name day of our friends called Theo, and planting peas, and folding olive nets.

I mention this just to remind myself and any other interested parties that there is life beyond property companies and building allowances and English sausages and German beer, and maybe we could talk more about such things than we do?

Phaedra

Postby Phaedra » Mon May 11, 2009 5:20 pm

Clio, thanks for reminding me that my son's name day is tomorow. I don't live in Greece and we don't usually celebrate name days but I'll do something special for him tomorrow!

And I share your sentiment.

Jan

paulh

Postby paulh » Tue May 12, 2009 7:45 am

Just now in Crete....almost good enough to make a section name but we are starting to get too many sections so including it in here is fine for now.

Just now in Crete with hopefully the rains gone until October we are getting all the walls painted and white paint is everywhere

Did you know that astari (the waterproof/undercoat/keying agent for concrete) is available in white. Makes it a lot easier to see the coverage than the usual clear astari

Cashey

Postby Cashey » Tue May 12, 2009 2:07 pm

Its lovely to hear that…

Just now in Crete…

you are all preparing the island for my 10 day visit this June!

May I thank you all in advance for making it so beautiful for me, I cannot wait to:
be warm 24 hours a day
sample your lovely food
drink your Greek beer
swim in your lovely clear waters.

I know it has been tough everywhere around the world, but (even with the rubbish Euro) I am NOT going to sacrifice my holiday to my future home, no matter what it costs!

Cannot wait.
Regards
Cashey

john4d

Postby john4d » Tue May 12, 2009 2:25 pm

Just now in Crete - I'm looking at my olive trees, covered in embryo olives and thinking this makes up for last year when I didn't have any (Well one sack full and none of my neighbours bothered to harvest) I'm also thinking who can I 'persuade' to help me harvest them?

Just now in Crete - I'm looking at my 300 vines, covered in blossom/embryo grapes and thinking what am I going to do with all that wine. I still have 300 kg from last year.

Just now in Crete - My wife is looking at our land and saying "look at all those wild flowers aren't they beautiful and I'm thinking look at all those weeds growing amongst my olives and vines!

Just now in Crete - life is beautiful

John
There's no such thing as a bad taste joke

Kyrstyn

Postby Kyrstyn » Tue May 12, 2009 2:58 pm

john4d wrote:Just now in Crete - I'm looking at my olive trees, covered in embryo olives and thinking this makes up for last year when I didn't have any (Well one sack full and none of my neighbours bothered to harvest) I'm also thinking who can I 'persuade' to help me harvest them?

Just now in Crete - I'm looking at my 300 vines, covered in blossom/embryo grapes and thinking what am I going to do with all that wine. I still have 300 kg from last year.

Just now in Crete - My wife is looking at our land and saying "look at all those wild flowers aren't they beautiful and I'm thinking look at all those weeds growing amongst my olives and vines!

Just now in Crete - life is beautiful

John

Hello John, the mention of your vines got my attention. I'm an eternal "student" of wine, and part of my upcoming stay on Crete will include an "internship" with Manousakis Vineyards in Vatalakkos (one of the few vineyards I was able to find on the west side of the island). I'm really looking forward to it, as I've done lots of book learning and tasting on the subject but haven't yet had the opportunity to work with it in its nascent form.

I hope the growing season is a good one for your new growths and that you find plenty of good people to help you drink last year's vintage :wink:

Kyrstyn

Postby Kyrstyn » Tue May 12, 2009 3:02 pm

Ah, what a great thread...it's good to remember that the stress of the upcoming three weeks (packing up house, saying goodbye to family and friends, and transporting two spoiled, obnoxious cats 1/2 way across the world) will be rewarded by such happy things!

altohb

Postby altohb » Tue May 12, 2009 4:02 pm

Just now in Crete, I'm looking at all the baby olives on our trees too, and enjoying all the beautiful wild flowers, and the birdsong. We grow olives organically, and our inspector is delighted by the biodiversity on our plot, along with our healthy trees, which makes the work worthwhile.

Just now in Crete I've been reading all the horror stories about British MPs on the gravy train and feeling glad to have escaped the hypocrisy of their posturings.

Kyrstyn - wish you luck with your move; it will be worth the hassle once you get here - both the hassle of the move, and what you have to deal with once you are here:)

H

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Tue May 12, 2009 5:16 pm

Just now in Crete we are enjoying warm sunny days, yet still cool evenings. We are watching the last slivers of snow on the caps of the white mountains diminish by the day. The coming weekend forecast of 30 degrees will probably mean that after this week the very last of the snow will have disappeared.

‘We’ are busy opening our summer businesses as the tourists start to trickle in (and hoping the trickle is going to become a flood). We are getting ready for our first summer visitors of the year (family and friends) and planning outings for them.

We are no longer eating winter lettuce and cabbage salads as we change to classic summer Greek salads now the tomatoes are sweet and ripe again (not tasteless winter greenhouse grown).

Clio

Postby Clio » Tue May 12, 2009 5:39 pm

we are getting all the walls painted and white paint is everywhere

you can say that again. This morning I watched a neighbour whitewashing the side wall of his two-storey house. In the UK nobody would tackle that as a DIY project; a tricky job, one for a pro, with obligatory scaffolding. O Pantelis managed with just him, a giant roller and a very, very long and very very wobbly cane. The top bit required him to stand on his old pick-up for extra height. He managed somehow to paint the whole wall, but in the process also managed to paint the pickup, the geraniums and a passing cat….

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri May 15, 2009 11:04 pm

Just now in Crete we are trying to turn over the garden and get rid of the weeds. There is window of opportunity, often lasting several milliseconds, between the last rainfall, when the soil is clay with a density roughly equal to that of a neutron star, and the point where it sets slightly harder than reinforced concrete. This year we managed several square inches so are looking forward to a bumper crop of whatever we manage to plant before the temperature starts to exceed that on the surface of Mercury.

Warwick

karpathoskate

Postby karpathoskate » Sun May 17, 2009 3:46 pm

Oh British politicians - but still not so corrupt as Greek politicians I'm afraid to say, or Italian, or...

qlight

Postby qlight » Sun May 17, 2009 7:10 pm

Just now I am wishing I was in Crete, just now I am thinking of booking my holiday 8)

altohb

Postby altohb » Sun May 17, 2009 8:18 pm

karpathoskate wrote:Oh British politicians - but still not so corrupt as Greek politicians I'm afraid to say, or Italian, or...

....or just that they haven't been caught yet!

karpathoskate

Postby karpathoskate » Mon May 18, 2009 11:49 am

Yes, that could be true!!!! Lovely weather here in Greece at present for anyone thinking of coming over, hope it lasts for the rest of May.

Return to “Archive”