Just now in Crete - June

Archive of "Just now in Crete" plus Cretan Adventures.
paulh

Just now in Crete - June

Postby paulh » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:08 am

Just now in Crete we are planning our days to include an afternoon nap because of the heat (anyone using the words "badly in need of beauty sleep" in subsequent posts will get a black mark in my little book)

Just now in Crete we are sitting outside at 8am in the mornings having the first coffee of the day listening to the stillness

Just now in Crete we (or at least I am) planning many painful deaths for the little bird which has decided to use blackbird like alarm calls outside my window at 6:50 am on the past 2 days. 6:50 am!!!!! Vindictive moi?

Just now in Crete with still some painting to finish we have decided that it is obviously too hot to paint and that the paint would dry almost before it got off the roller so we will leave it till next year

Just now in Crete, cold outdoor showers have come back into the daily routine. (Obviously for myself, because of my masochistic tendencies, much as I may like a cold shower I actually have a warm shower.)
Last edited by paulh on Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

allan

Postby allan » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:57 pm

Just now in Crete I am and have been for a while having my coffee 2hrs before Paul.

My body clock just wakes me up at 6am, must agree with him though the peace at this time is wonderfull.

Best time of the day for me (apart from the bloody dogs who seem to wake up at my time as well)

Anybody have a shot gun for rent, (Ooops sorry animal lovers) TIC

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:52 pm

Just now in Crete .. cooling down with said glass of wine after a hot, sticky, humid day.. 33.5 degrees and 50% humidity

Clio

Postby Clio » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:45 pm

Just now in Crete...by unspoken agreement everybody cut the hay last weekend, so every hillside has its little field-square of flattened pale gold stubble. The broom bushes which line every highway are cascading fountains of yellow, alternating with the pink of the oleanders. The city squares are carpeted with the glorious mauve blossoms of the jacaranda, and the newly-planted saplings which are greening all the streets of Rethymno are suddenly looking like real trees. We are eating the last of the mousmoula and the first of the Yerakari cherries, plus the new season’s vlita, glistrida and fresh chick peas. We are making a traditional spring salad of chopped boiled potato, tomato, egg red onion and rusks. The hardy among us have had our first swims; the urban young are taking seriously to bicycles. We are trying not to notice how few tourists there are. Just days before the elections, the mood seems to be much the same as I imagine it in England: a plague on all their houses….

baccybabs

Postby baccybabs » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:06 pm

Just now in Crete, I have been lazing in the pool & am now trying to persuade hubby to make a cuppa !! :lol:

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:16 pm

Just now in Crete I finally started my job!
Living in Crete!!

paulh

Postby paulh » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:09 pm

Just now in Crete I ate my first (this year) green figs from our tree, picked this morning and then in the fridge to get cold.

Clio

Postby Clio » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:13 pm

So early! Lucky you - ours have weeks to go yet.

paulh

Postby paulh » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:42 pm

One tree will produce from now until late July then the other tree starts producing till mid Sept. All kudos goes to the people who owned this house years ago and knew what they were planting. I just benefit from their knowledge.

Excess figs are cut in half and laid out on a table in a sunny spot to be sun dried. Covered with a thin muslin cloth to keep flies off. Then when completely dried skewered on a kebab stick and kept for winter

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:46 pm

Just now in Crete - we are eating fresh peaches, nectarines, cherries, melon and water melon. Delicious.

BrianS

Postby BrianS » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:18 am

Just now we've discovered a new spectator sport involving three of our favourite things in the garden: a pair of Green Balkan Lizards (Larry and Liz); Swallowtail Butterflies; and Yellow Lantana.
The lantana attracts the butterflies and provides excellent ground cover for the lizards. For 15 minutes as we savoured our early morning cup of tea, we watched transfixed as the lizards took up different positions, literally launching themselves in attempts to catch the butterflies. They got close a couple of times but, thankfully, the butterflies were just too quick for Larry and Liz.

Maureen

Postby Maureen » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:53 pm

Just now in Crete - Coping well with the beautiful hot weather that we dreamt about while living in the UK. Looking forward to cooling the house down now to a good sleeping temperature tonight. We longed for these lovely warm evenings in the UK where we could sit out well into the night.

If only we could rid the village of barking dogs in the night and first thing in the morning while we are trying to sleep! Ah well, it's a small price to pay to live in such a beautiful place.

Maureen

paulh

Postby paulh » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:16 pm

Earplugs......chemist....small price big benefit
(Can also be used at Scorpions concerts :roll:)

margarita

Postby margarita » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:43 pm

Maureen wrote:
If only we could rid the village of barking dogs in the night and first thing in the morning while we are trying to sleep!

Maureen

You'll get used to them and then you won't be able to sleep without them.

Regards,

maggie

paulh

Postby paulh » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:12 am

Correct Maggie you do get used to them but there are certain times when it gets a little worse than normal.
With a full moon dogs see more and tend to bark at shadows they do not see for the rest of the month.
In a morning our cat comes and sits on the window sill and vocally lets us know he wants to be fed. In a winter it is fine but in summer his idea of morning is 5:30, not good.
A neighbour might get a new cockerel and at first to establish itself it will crow every 5 mins all through the night
A couple of blocks away they will have a party and invariably someone will turn up one track to full volume at 3 am
Or the worse one of the lot...Saturday night and you have had the odd sherbet or six and 7:30 am Sunday the local church decides to have a service loud enough to save the whole village

...with earplugs handy it's no problem at all

Return to “Archive”