Just now in Crete - June

Archive of "Just now in Crete" plus Cretan Adventures.
rainbowmir

Postby rainbowmir » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:50 am

margarita wrote:
Maureen wrote:
If only we could rid the village of barking dogs in the night and first thing in the morning while we are trying to sleep!

Maureen

You'll get used to them and then you won't be able to sleep without them.

Regards,

maggie

does that include the cockerals.........
Last edited by rainbowmir on Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:23 pm

Today in Crete we are sinking under a surfeit of courgettes (often grown to the size of marrows because you didn't get round to picking them) and cucumbers shortly to be followed by aubergines, peppers and probably tomatoes.

You can't give them away because everybody else is in the same boat. In fact 90 % of the phone calls you receive at this time of year are to offer you more. How do shops ever sell any?

There is only so much stuffed marrow a man can eat and I am well past my limit.

Warwick

PS Anybody who thought the word "Lampreys" when reading the first sentence is very very old.

PPS I am not an experienced gardener. Stick in soil. Add water. Limit of my knowledge.

PPS The frogs ate all our cicadas but they also make an unholy din.

Clio

Postby Clio » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:24 pm

“Lampreys” did indeed leap timely to mind but it was closely followed by “King John” which, when I came to check it out, is wrong. And suggests I am not only very very old but declining into senility, since I did once know the right answer.

Surfeits? We have apricots. Have shifted in the space of a week from: “o the joy of the first sun-warmed apricot, tra la, fresh from the tree” to “oh God not another five kilos of windfalls to be turned into yet more bloody jam”.

paulh

Postby paulh » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:02 pm

King John is quite correct in respect of lampreys but not in respect of a surfeit of the same, that was King Henry I though if you really really want to nit pick Henry I was actually a surfeit of eels.

Clio

Postby Clio » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:14 pm

Personally I find anything eely as disgusting as stuffed marrow with its watery wartime associations (sorry Warwick, but you might at least call it kolokithakia yemista!) So I have never studied the etymology of eely things. I suppose I had always assumed that lampreys were eels of some kind. But the other night some Greek friends were telling me what they’d been eating at a posh psarotaverna. They said was something like χελι, which I knew to be eel, only it was nastier – in the ugly, not-to-be-met-on-a-dark-night sense – and a different thing altogether. I thought they were saying “Smyrna” which certainly has ugly connotations for a Greek, but it turned out to be “σμερνα“

Looking up σμερνα at home later, I found it was “moray or “lamper eel” – in other words, lamprey. You can see why the things are reckoned to be nasty:

“Lampreys resemble eels in external appearance and, although not related to the true eels, are sometimes called lamprey eels

An ancient fish that still resembles fossils that are 360 million years old, the lamprey lacks a sympathetic nervous system, a spleen, and scales. Most adult lampreys are parasitic, sucking the blood of other fishes. The horny teeth, set in the circular, jawless mouth, attach to the prey and the lamprey feeds as it is carried along. Lampreys have an anticoagulant in the saliva that keeps the blood of the victim fluid. Some freshwater lampreys eat flesh as well as blood."

I guess this still counts as on-topic since it relates to what some people are eating just now in Crete. Me, I'd rather eat stuffed marrow!

rainbowmir

Postby rainbowmir » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:43 pm

Clio wrote:Surfeits? We have apricots. Have shifted in the space of a week from: ?o the joy of the first sun-warmed apricot, tra la, fresh from the tree? to ?oh God not another five kilos of windfalls to be turned into yet more bloody jam?.

Stew them with sugar. Lay a freezer bag in a pie tin . Fill with mixture. Freeze. Remove bag from tin and seal. Ready made Apricot pie filling. (You can make as many of these as you like...)

When required, just make pastry. Line tin. Place frozen filling in place (remove from freezer bag first :D ). Put pastry top on, prick with fork, brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar. Bake. Yum yum.....
Last edited by rainbowmir on Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

paulh

Postby paulh » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:58 pm

cut in half, destone and leave in the sun to dry. Turn every couple of days until dried.

No extra sugar needed or cooking.

Dried fruit will last all winter easily

Clio

Postby Clio » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:17 pm

Stew them with sugar..... Freeze

Been there, done that,got no more room in freezer! Now going Paul's drying route...

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:11 pm

I can tell you, Clio, there is nothing "..akia" about our plants. It's costing us a fortune in crane hire fees to harvest them!

Warwick

paulh

Postby paulh » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:47 pm

regarding the drying, if you cover them with a thin muslin sheet or fine netting then you don't have to worry about insects crawling on them.

Not tried this one yet but a friend swears it works well....Black painted cardboard box. filled with polystyrene insulation but with a saucepan in the middle, all the ingredients for (in his case) a curry into the saucepan. Cover with a snug fitting sheet of glass, box et al. Place in the sun and you have a slow cooker. I'm told a full day is sufficient.

You could even use the apricots as one of the ingredients of a fruit curry.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:21 pm

Prize winning idea, Paul. See http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7991654.stm

Warwick

paulh

Postby paulh » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:48 pm

hmmm the date of the article is very close to when he described it to me.

he is the type to try that sort of thing though and he did have one ready made up which I think I remember him saying it worked fine for him last year with just a day in the sun

whatever...... still a good idea

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:18 pm

Kilkis wrote:PS Anybody who thought the word "Lampreys" when reading the first sentence is very very old.

On 25 June I wrote the above. Now "Lamprey" is not a word that comes up often in conversation, well not in my circle of friends anyway. Today, four days later, there is an article on BBC News reporting that Lampreys have been found in the river Wear, see http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/engl ... 122999.stm

Spooky!!!

Time for Brave Sir John to make a comeback?

Warwick

PS If you don't understand the last comment try http://ngfl.northumberland.gov.uk/engli ... efault.htm

Return to “Archive”