Just now in Crete - July

Archive of "Just now in Crete" plus Cretan Adventures.
andheath

Just now in Crete - July

Postby andheath » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:24 pm

Just now in Crete.............

I am thinking I will go for a Coffee in the morning and enjoy with a cigarette. After fighting my way past the double parked cars on the roundabout in front of the no parking signs and dodging all the Papas on the way to the bank, I might stop and give a few tit bits to some of the stray dogs that are being looked after by the local mayor with his pockets full of EU cash.

http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_articles_politics_100006_30/06/2009_108508

I am not sure if life is going to be very different from tomorrow but I have heard a rumour Greek politicians are having private lessons in "EU cash for organising piss ups in breweries".

I am guessing but tomorrow, the sun will still be shining and the sea will still be warm. Tomatoes are still cheap and the tourists are still staying away (hooray). Life's not so bad. I just hope the Policeman that arrests me isn't smoking and that the cells still have ashtrays.

Please don't have a pop, I still love Crete and I also love the middle finger attitude.
This Cretan Adventure thing is way beyond a joke.

andheath

Postby andheath » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:31 pm

Just read this:

Within the
heart of every stray dog
Lies the
singular desire to be loved

Nice, maybe they are talking to you.................
This Cretan Adventure thing is way beyond a joke.

nemhacese

Postby nemhacese » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:19 am

Just now in Crete I'm earning as much in a day as BT used to pay me for an hour and a half. Just now in Crete I've worked the last 80 odd days straight, which makes me only about 120 days away from a day off. Just now in Crete it's 4am, I'm hot, I can't sleep and I'm looking at my last cigarette wishing I'd been arsed to walk the 100 metres to the minimarket earlier.

Just now in Crete is not how I imagined. It's better.

Julie

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:34 pm

I suppose this is off-topic but just here in England, yesterday, my wife commented on how she no longer needed to chuck our clothes in the wash basket after every outing because smoking in public places is banned. You can't begin to imagine how much money and energy we are saving because of this. I can wear the same jacket for a whole week. (Unfortunately, there's no farting ban so I still change my underpants daily - you'll be pleased to know!) ;)

Also, just now in England, it's 28 degrees with 60% RH. I'm sitting in my air-conditioned office thinking "phew, why are we emigrating?". ;)

D&T

Postby D&T » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:31 am

MartinP wrote:I suppose this is off-topic but just here in England, yesterday, my wife commented on how she no longer needed to chuck our clothes in the wash basket after every outing because smoking in public places is banned. You can't begin to imagine how much money and energy we are saving because of this. I can wear the same jacket for a whole week. (Unfortunately, there's no farting ban so I still change my underpants daily - you'll be pleased to know!) ;)

Also, just now in England, it's 28 degrees with 60% RH. I'm sitting in my air-conditioned office thinking "phew, why are we emigrating?". ;)

Just now in the Uk thinking" The reason why we are emigrating is because tomorrow it could be cold and wet!" and also thinking" I wish I was in Crete .....just now!"

11 days and counting!

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:32 pm

Lucky sod. We have to wait till Sept 15 - and it's absolutely chucking it down! Temperature back to "normal". :(

kathywil

Postby kathywil » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:50 pm

can we have some more just now in crete please? because i'm stuck in england and i want to know whats happening in my favourite place. come on folks. anything willl do . :) hows your veg plots? hows the weather? what are you having for dinner? please? :lol:
Kathywil

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:30 pm

Just now in Crete I am still looking for a seasonal job after I was laid off from the job I originally had. I have to say I'm not the only person who has been laid off and there are a lot of people worrying about the winter now.

Just now in Crete it's hot, hot, hot and going to get hotter! At least the breeze is nice tonight!

kathywil wrote:what are you having for dinner?

It might just be my friends (Greek and expat) that ask but I get driven mad by this question! Maybe they need inspiration or maybe it's cos they haven't got anything better to do... Anyway, I had a baked potato and tuna for my dinner tonight. Not exactly Greek but it was the last of the Malia potatoes we had!
Living in Crete!!

margarita

Postby margarita » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:31 pm

kathywil wrote:what are you having for dinner? please? :lol:

I've just walked across the road to buy some huge free-range eggs. My husband's cooking omelettes with prawns & smoked salmon for dinner (if he ever gets off his computer that is).

I agree with lshall05 about the cool breeze. We even had a lot of cloud this morning but it had mostly gone by the time I came out of the sea after my swim.

Regards,

maggie

kathywil

Postby kathywil » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:44 pm

just now in poole uk theres a big black cloud over my house and theres another over me in my house as i watch the gloomy news on tv and fret cos im not in crete. so thanks for your replies. keep em coming please
Kathywil

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:03 pm

margarita wrote:
kathywil wrote:what are you having for dinner? please? :lol:
I've just walked across the road to buy some huge free-range eggs. My husband's cooking omelettes with prawns & smoked salmon for dinner (if he ever gets off his computer that is).
Just now in Crete I'm going to cook omelettes with prawns and smoked salmon.

Regards,
'Im Indoors.

PaddyPop

Postby PaddyPop » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:07 am

We've been cooking outdoors thanks to our George Foreman grill and an extension cord. In your face impossibly hot kitchen!

margarita

Postby margarita » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:34 pm

filippos wrote:Just now in Crete I'm going to cook omelettes with prawns and smoked salmon.

Regards,
'Im Indoors.

And very delicious it was, too.

I'm just glad I hadn't read this article first http://tinyurl.com/lpycou as I may have been a little suspicious about the contents.

Regards,

maggie

Clio

Postby Clio » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:26 pm

My husband's cooking omelettes with prawns & smoked salmon for dinner

Well I am extremely skint having spent all my money on making the world's most expensive jam, (a story for another day) so had my lunch omelette simply stuffed with some of the sorrel from the garden which is growing like the clappers. Yesterday we had chef’s Green Gazpacho which artfully uses up the surplus from everybody else’s garden, kindly laid at our door. Bet you can't think of another dish which incorporates loads of both courgettes and cucumber. But would our Cretan neighbours thank us for the recipe? The very expression “cold soup” would have the veg donor crossing herself three times.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:38 pm

Are you sure they were prawns, Maggie? Knowing how much im in doors worries about mercury he might have gone for a delicious alternative. See http://mv.lycaeum.org/anagrams/_pillbug_edible.html

Warwick

Return to “Archive”