Just now in Crete - July

Archive of "Just now in Crete" plus Cretan Adventures.
margarita

Postby margarita » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:51 pm

Kilkis wrote:Are you sure they were prawns, Maggie? Knowing how much im in doors worries about mercury he might have gone for a delicious alternative. See http://mv.lycaeum.org/anagrams/_pillbug_edible.html

Warwick

Warwick,

Where do you find these things? (articles I mean not woodlice)

I think that next time we meet you for lunch we'll pick the restaurant - just in case you know one with a very peculiar menu.

Regards,

maggie

filippos

Postby filippos » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:52 pm

Kilkis wrote:Knowing how much im in doors worries about mercury .............
I don't worry about the mercury per se, Warwick but I can visualise loads of people disposing of dud low-energy bulbs in their general rubbish. I'd hazard a guess, too, that very many people are not aware of the hazards of mercury and won't be very careful when cleaning up broken lamps.

I'm pleased, too, to be here rather than in the UK where the government seems to race forward with implementation of EU directives - especially with things like low-energy bulbs which are not very energy-efficient in manufacture and [if disposed of correctly] relatively expensive to get rid of.

margarita

Postby margarita » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:20 pm

filippos wrote:.......rather than in the UK where the government seems to race forward with implementation of EU directives - especially with things like low-energy bulbs which are not very energy-efficient in manufacture and [if disposed of correctly] relatively expensive to get rid of.

http://tinyurl.com/nw9n3n

Regards,

maggie

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:21 pm

In the UK it's becoming increasingly difficult to buy 100W (and especially 150W) tungsten filament bulbs. This is a nuisance because the "energy saver" lamps are totally unsuitable for some applications.

In contrast, the highly inefficient transformer + 12v halogen lamps are very popular. :roll:

I'm wondering if I can power one or two lamps from a 12v battery with a solar panel charging it during the day. Anyone tried this? Are suitable solar panels sold in Crete?

filippos

Postby filippos » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:28 pm

MartinP wrote:In the UK it's becoming increasingly difficult to buy 100W (and especially 150W) tungsten filament bulbs.
I'm not "up" on UK news but I thought [probably erroneously] that it was already illegal to sell 150w & 100w incandescent bulbs in the UK.

I also read that continental countries, mainly France and Germany, were gleefully making fortunes manufacturing and exporting low-energy bulbs to Britain.

Apparently, there is also a new type bayonet fitting already being installed in new-build UK homes. It requires bulbs that have three, rather than the traditional two, "prongs" to hold them in place. However, such bulbs are made by only one UK company and almost impossible to find at present. A visitor here told me his son had bought a property and on moving in had needed to change every lampholder in the house. Joined up government, eh. They've also created a monopoly situation for that one lamp manufacturer so will the bulbs be cheap?

Clio

Postby Clio » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:05 am

Off topic! I know Kathywil said “absolutely anything”, but I’m sure she didn’t mean boring blokeish debates about how many angels it takes to change the prongs of a lightbulb, not a lot to do with Just Now In Crete. Kindly talk amongst yourselves on Another Thread!

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:05 am

Threads do sometimes wander. Chill.

Clio

Postby Clio » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:34 am

Chill? I am so chilled as to be lightly frosted and garnished with a sprig of mint. But speaking as the (inadverter) begetter of this ongoing thread, I thought maybe this was one that shouldn’t wander so much, that the point of it was to record snapshots of what’s actually happening here and now, perhaps for the benefit of those like Kathywil who want a bit of vicarious Creteishness. Paul, maybe we could have a new board similar to the one on a Now Apparently Defunct Other Site but just for blokes, on which they can happily witter to each other about riveting subjects like vroom-vrooms and Electricity Lite. And maybe an Everything To Do With Animals board…..

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:15 pm

Stamps foot and flounces off stage left.

Part time Skopi resident

Postby Part time Skopi resident » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:22 pm

filippos wrote:Stamps foot and flounces off stage left.

You forgot your teddy! :)

paulh

Postby paulh » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:50 pm

Right now in Crete it is too hot to wear a teddy

(I'm only trying to get it back on topic!)

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:33 pm

Part time Skopi resident wrote:
filippos wrote:Stamps foot and flounces off stage left.

You forgot your teddy! :)
Perhaps, for absolute clarity my previous post should have started "She". I'm sure, however, you realised the original was in the format of a stage direction.

PS In any case I don't do "flounce"; I'm far too old and learned years ago that getting one's knickers twisted is just uncomfortable.

kathywil

Postby kathywil » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:54 pm

so just now in crete everyone is having a little paddy. :lol: must be the heat. :D
Kathywil

Clio

Postby Clio » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:06 pm

so just now in crete everyone is having a little paddy.

Personally I'm just off to have a big raki, well chilled of course!

kathywil

Postby kathywil » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:14 pm

oh clio. now im flouncing off in a huff. :lol: i'll make do with a warm beer.
Kathywil

Return to “Archive”