Just now in Crete - August

Archive of "Just now in Crete" plus Cretan Adventures.
filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:41 pm

Thanks, Brian.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:44 pm

Oh dear oh dear oh dear! Crete viewed from the UK:

MartinP wrote:But maybe I should acquire a cat, just in case?

Reality in Crete:

You go outside to find two or three gorgeous little bundles of fluff with saucer eyes and pitiful little meows. What can you do? You rush in to find something suitable to eat and put it down in some old bowls.

At this point the bundles of fluff's four rather heavyweight mates stroll up and elbow them out of the way. You are incensed! You rush forward to shoo them away so the little ones can feed. Boss cat, which is a cross between a lynx and a pit bull terrier with chunks of fur missing, a large lump out of one ear and a six inch diagonal scar across one eye, fixes you with his baleful yellow good eye, arches its back, erects its fur so it is double its normal size, hisses through fangs similar to those of a sabre tooth tiger and casually extends and retracts its twelve inch long claws menacingly. His three mates gather round in a similar manner.

Discretion being the better part of valour you back nervously into the house, lock the door and watch through the window. Having eaten most of the food the four hooligans settle down to some careful grooming, pulling off burs with large chunks of fur attached and spitting them all over your terrace and licking the bits you couldn't reach if you tried while the kittens clean the remnants out of the bowls. After a while the heavyweights grab the bundles of fluff by the scruff of the neck and drag them off to push them through next doors fence for the procedure to be repeated.

Congratulations. You have acquired a cat or seven.

Warwick

Clio

Postby Clio » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:53 am

Reality in Crete (Mark Two)

You live in Crete for many years without once encountering such a scenario.

I think your furry friends have a radar instinct for the soft touch, the soft heart!

Brian c

Postby Brian c » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:25 am

and that Kilkis is my biggest concern about comming to live there ..... i have the softest heart for animals that god dished out, and the animals most deffinatly do have radar,
which would be ok if i came to live there 365 days a year but we are still considering 6 months in each country. and that dos not realy suit animals.
dont sweat the small things

Return to “Archive”