Just Now In Crete - October

Archive of "Just now in Crete" plus Cretan Adventures.
Clio

Postby Clio » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:45 pm

I made the mistake of reading that out to Temporary Chef who is doing all the business in the kitchen while I am hors de combat and he is so jealous. Like me he mostly prefers a veggie diet to meat per se, but when offal’s on offer he’s anybody’s. He wants to know if you have made πηχτή and isn’t it wonderful, and how’s about a lovely roasted lamb’s head, then? He went on to get all nostalgic about the trotters, the tongue, the tripe he has cooked in his time, but I am afraid I had to leave the room at that point!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:09 pm

Now I can't stop thinking about pigs brains fried in butter and served up on toast. Drooooooooooool!

Warwick

paulh

Postby paulh » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:23 pm

Two ideas have subsequently occurred to me

Φακη we cook both with a small amount of orange peel (not pith) and without. The with version makes for a slightly richer taste more suitable to winter.

I'm just wondering if orange peel would enhance the liver dish or if because the dish is already "rich" it would just be lost. It's worth a try next time because even if it doesn't work it won't render it inedible.

I used to do a stuffed hearts in a sherry sauce dish years ago (in the pressure cooker)and the Cretan village wine can be very sherry like so perhaps it is time to resurrect that with local modification.

allan

Postby allan » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:05 pm

Please, please, please stop talking about food because.......

just now in Crete I have been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes and I cannot eat the delicious foods you are all describing. :( :(

Still I have always enjoyed salads anyway.

Must have been a rabbit in my last life.

Clio

Postby Clio » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:59 pm

stuffed hearts in a sherry sauce

Paul, it’s going to have to be a rather frugal stuffed heart in the singular, unless your neighbour is topping a whole flock. It’s not as if you can buy a kilo at the kreopoleio!

Having discovered that the concept of suet does exist, and there’s a word for it, I once asked our lovely butcher for some in order to make mincemeat for Christmas. He spent ages painstakingly pulling the kidneys out of several lamb carcases, then scraping off bits of the scanty surrounding suet until we had the few grams I needed. Then he threw in the kidneys too, and wouldn’t charge me anything. So I elbowed the mincemeat, bought beef, and made a steak and kidney pud.

I’ve since had Atora brought over (my Ma would turn in her grave but it’s better than nothing) and made other kinds of pudding, but have never again found kidneys in quantity

Return to “Archive”