Just Now In Crete - December

Archive of "Just now in Crete" plus Cretan Adventures.
Clio

Just Now In Crete - December

Postby Clio » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:16 pm

We are just back from wetting the head of a new baby in the company of the proud first-time grandfather, and learning an apposite new mantinada:

Το να γινεί κανείς παππούς
Αυτό δεν είναι πράμα
Το να κοιμάται με γιαγιά
Είναι μεγάλο δράμα

paulh

Postby paulh » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:27 am

Just now in Crete it suddenly occurred to me that 8:30 am I was stood outside, 2 weeks or so short of Christmas, in a (heavy duty) dressing gown drinking coffee whilst I waited for the outdoor cats to finish their breakfast unhassled by the dogs. And I was quite comfortable and no suggestion of cold.

My only worry is I that I get used to this as normal and cease to value it

Phaedra

Postby Phaedra » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:22 pm

Can we open a "Just now where I am although I'm not in Crete" board? In the meantime I'd like to post this:-

The sun is streaming through the window - sky is unbroken blue - mist is burning off the river - the green of the Jura mountains cutting swathes through the steam from the nuclear power station just a few kilometers upstream. Absolutely beautiful! Can hear but not see the hydro power station on the river - one of many on this river. Just an example of combining electricity generation in variable forms with living in an area of exceptional beauty.

Kyrstyn

Postby Kyrstyn » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:48 pm

Ohh, the Jura...I really like some of the wines that come from there! I've never been, your description is wonderful:-)

Phaedra wrote:Can we open a "Just now where I am although I'm not in Crete" board? In the meantime I'd like to post this:-

The sun is streaming through the window - sky is unbroken blue - mist is burning off the river - the green of the Jura mountains cutting swathes through the steam from the nuclear power station just a few kilometers upstream. Absolutely beautiful! Can hear but not see the hydro power station on the river - one of many on this river. Just an example of combining electricity generation in variable forms with living in an area of exceptional beauty.

paulh

Postby paulh » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:32 pm

right now in Crete we are considering Phaedras request

Phaedra wrote:Can we open a "Just now where I am although I'm not in Crete" board?

On first glance I don't see why not in the Chatter section.

It isn't quite as relevant to the board as the "in Crete" one is so I don't think we need archive it. We would probably do it by month in the same way though I'm not sure whether it needs to be a sticky, if people add to it it will be at the top anyway.

Your suggested title is a bit cumbersome. I'd welcome suggestions for one which reads a bit easier

I'll need to think it through a bit more first so it wont be in place for a few days yet

Clio

Postby Clio » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:58 pm

"Just Now Outside Crete" or
"Just Now Not In Crete"or
"Just Now Elsewhere"

paulh

Postby paulh » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:42 pm

Since the board is Living in Crete then Just Now Elsewhere seems best of the three to me (with the understanding that it is for Personal observations not say, rehashed newspaper reports of a UFO spotted in Bolivia). Slight worries about irrational links to the St Elsewhere medical drama series but maybe that's me

Any other opinions?

We could choose a different tack and entitle it From Our Foreign Correspondents or From Our Overseas Correspondents given that Foreign correspondents would technically exclude mainland Greece whereas everywhere is Overseas from Crete. Maybe a bit too poseur ish?

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:31 am

paulh wrote:Since the board is Living in Crete then Just Now Elsewhere seems best
I'd go along with that.

[Is St. Elsewhere still running? I was young last time I watched it.]

Phaedra

Postby Phaedra » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:59 pm

Kyrstyn wrote:Ohh, the Jura...I really like some of the wines that come from there! I've never been, your description is wonderful:-)

Thanks.

Wines are very light and the area is absolutely lovely. I can see a large vineyard covering the slopes of the hills from my window at the moment. Just waiting for some snow (rained today - yeuch!) to put the icing on the cake, as it were. Temperature's dropping so maybe we'll get some snow tomorrow.

Phaedra

Postby Phaedra » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:01 pm

filippos wrote:
paulh wrote:Since the board is Living in Crete then Just Now Elsewhere seems best
I'd go along with that.

[Is St. Elsewhere still running? I was young last time I watched it.]

Sounds like a good title to me. I also remember St Elsewhere. And you ARE still young Filippos - well, at least as long as you're breathing......! ;-)

paulh

Postby paulh » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:09 pm

Yes but what about Emergency Ward 10 or Dr Kildare. Were you young then too?

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:09 pm

Yep!

margarita

Postby margarita » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:02 pm

I remember Dr Kildare.

Richard Chamberlain was wonderful (knees trembling at the memory).

Wasn't so keen on him years later as rather creepy Australian priest (Thorn Birds?)

regards,

maggie

Clio

Postby Clio » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:29 pm

This weekend in Plakias – where the lunchtime temperature was 21.5 degrees – the local women’s society held an inaugural ‘pazari’ in a corner of a closed-up taverna. A few tables, a dress rail, used bric-a-brac, clothing, books and DVDs. The expat community and the Anglo-Greek animal lobby do these things all the time, but I thought it was an interesting development: Cretan women selling second-hand goods, and explaining enthusiastically that the proceeds will go to Rethymno’s organisation for children with Down’s and other disabilities. Two separate concepts there with which Greeks have traditionally been conservative, uncomfortable and secretive, now upfront and openly to be talked about and accepted as part of everyday life.

paulh

Postby paulh » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:02 pm

Right now in Crete I noticed the first of the anemones coming out on a sunny hillside mid Akrotiri. (That is 3 weeks later than last winter).

Return to “Archive”