Just now in Crete Feb 2010

Archive of "Just now in Crete" plus Cretan Adventures.
Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:33 pm

Ha! You failed to get up that mountain to get the birds eye view photos though Paul. Next year then.

The food at the trapezi looks delicious.

I forgot to post a link to a couple more photos on my blog. The last photo is zoomed showing the kites flying up and over the mountain ..here

Clio

Postby Clio » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:40 pm

We’re having halcyon days, which means an early start to that lovely period when all the yellow flowers come at once, and the whole island turns gold. We already have the ubiquitous carpet of oxalis http://tinyurl.com/ye4c28s photographed here by Jean; now the first buds are opening on the Jerusalem sage http://tinyurl.com/y8uj9q8 (more of Jean’s). The mimosa trees http://tinyurl.com/yb8s9ok which line the national road are erupting into swags of fuzzy golden pompoms, and the broom bushes http://tinyurl.com/yb839kh (the planta genista which named a line of kings ) are tipped in buttery blossom.

All that polleny yellow is gorgeous and good for the soul ; the downside is that it plays hell with the hay fever!

filippos

Postby filippos » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:55 pm

Today might have been one of Clio's halcyon days - a lovely sunny morning with the temperature rising to about 25°C. Unfortunately, the heat's been oppressive - a bit like sweltering under a hot, slightly damp blanket. Then, mid afternoon the sun completed it's slow disappearing act and Ghaddaffi's sand haze became really apparent.

For anyone still under the misapprehension that Crete is always bright this was about 15:30 today. If it rains everywhere will turn orange/brown.

Colour version here.

Kathleen

Postby Kathleen » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:11 pm

filippos wrote: If it rains everywhere will turn orange/brown.

Thanks for that Filippos, going to make a right mess of our recently repainted house. :(

Kathleen

anna shelvey

Postby anna shelvey » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:07 pm

happy B-day from cold UK

we are coming to crete in June, and i cant wait to see my plot of land
sea,sun and skofolding

anna

Clio

Postby Clio » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:55 pm

If it rains everywhere will turn orange/brown.

Peeing down here now. Dust soup. So much for the window cleaning!

filippos

Postby filippos » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:47 am

Now p*$$ing down here, too. Hope it's better tomorrow - oops, just noticed the time - later today. We're off on a village charabanc outing, με πούλμαν. First stop Omalos.

mick & julie

Postby mick & julie » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:59 pm

Sorry to hear that it's P*$$ing down, it must be realy hard :lol:. but just now in Leeds it is a lovely white snowy day an I am going out for a long walk. but will be joining you for a short break in April when the weather is a bit more reasonable. I just hope the goat's have kept the weeds in my garden down :lol: :0)

allan

Postby allan » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:32 pm

Mick and Julie, what, don`t you have goats in Headingley or Pudsey??

Allan

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:05 pm

Further inland it got up to just over 30 C on Saturday afternoon! February? Friday night was even more weird. We came out of a taverna around midnight and it was 25 C. It was still 25 C at 7 am Saturday morning. I expect this sort of thing in July/August but February?

Warwick

mick & julie

Postby mick & julie » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:55 pm

Hi Allan
No goats in Headingley just the occasional ferral student, We have just had and enjoyed a good three hour walk allong the canal, it's strange to think that there is heck of a lot of country side in and around Leeds and with the snow it made for a very plesant walk.

allan

Postby allan » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:25 pm

Arhh, the Ferral student of Headingley, heard many times, usually at closing time, but rarely seen, has been photographed now and again, usually crawling out of the local pub, and then posted on the Uni rag.

The canal walk would be from Kirkstall up to Rawdon, then a quick pint and back again me thinks. 15 locks up and 10 back.

The countryside along the paths are very picturesque, especially the Horsforth area....shame about the Asda trolleys in the canal , and the burnt out cars, and the 3 piece sofas, and the occasional swimmer.

Memories..... :) :)

mick & julie

Postby mick & julie » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:45 pm

Aye we had to go past the lodging place of those ferral students and the canal was littered with beer bottles stuck in the ice, though I think they were hybernating becouse of the weather, or maybe the late night out foraging in Headingly.

However it was a good walk from Armley to Rodley Bottom with a drink or two in the Railway which was most welcome The scenery was made more spectacular becouse of the snow and I would have posted some photos but dont think I am able to which is a shame and you were right about the trollies in the canal, part of it was drained due to repairs, I am supprised how some of the things get into the canal on some stretches, prams ,bike's loads of traffic cones ect, ect, ect but supprisingly no cars???

paulh

Postby paulh » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:25 pm

nothing wrong with above posts per se but it is well off topic for this recurring thread (just now in Crete) so by all means continue but over in the chatter section please

thanks

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:19 am

Kathleen wrote:
filippos wrote: If it rains everywhere will turn orange/brown.
Thanks for that Filippos, going to make a right mess of our recently repainted house. :(
Kathleen
You might have been lucky. In this area it rained a couple of times several hours apart. The first lot brought the Sahara dust down and the next lot washed it off.

Just to cheer you up again in the Arctic these were taken by the beach yesterday [Sunday] afternoon.
Pic 1 Pic 2 Pic 3

and this one was in our favourite local café at lunchtime with the temperature over 20°. The clothes you can see was teamed with shorts but not the flowery style he wears in summer. He's a smashin' lad [really].

Return to “Archive”