Cretan Adventure Part 3 - Sorry

Archive of "Just now in Crete" plus Cretan Adventures.
andheath

Cretan Adventure Part 3 - Sorry

Postby andheath » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:22 am

Well I am really sorry if it is boring but the truth is it is, and the most boring bit has got to be that Motorway from Turin to Ancona. It is just straight and goes on forever with H ooh and ahhing all the way about georgeous derilict barns, sorry love you aint going to get anything like that in Crete.

We are on the Superfast Ferry and so far I have to say it is excellent, the cabin is far cleaner than them poxy French Camponile things. The service so far is excellent and the dogs think it is much better than the back of the old Audi. I think this boat must be pretty new, it is Superfast XII and is all very nice. Enjoyed a really quite good meal this evening.

Chilled out about this morning, introduced the boys to the sea. Really nice after three days hard driving. Route maps are good but I did find getting about in Italy hard work, once you leave the main drag. In France I have a chance with a bit of school French but in Italy no chance, pity the Italians have never got the hang of junction numbers.

Never mind that travelling on deck under the stars rubbish. Amazed at the number of dossers all over the place, what a mess they make, I think most of them must be heading for Hania. I am surprised they allow it on such a nice boat. I thought they would send all down under the plimsol line like on the Titanic.

Small world, met a guy on the boat I recognised, turns out he's a guy I met in Sitia when I was there last. Poor sod said he had done Ancona from the south of England in one go from Friday night. Looked dead on his feet. Said we'd meet up in the bar, not turned up yet, surprise surprise.

Well time for a night cap I think. First drop of Scotch since I left God's country. Hard day tomorrow, get off the boat, drive a couple of hours and get on another boat. Travelling Lane Lines straight into Sitia I hope. These things are all about planning and this is the bit I know I haven't planned properly. No tickets, supposed to pick them up from God knows where. Fingers crossed.

Goodnight
Andy
This Cretan Adventure thing is way beyond a joke.

The Adjectival LFB

Postby The Adjectival LFB » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:34 am

Lightweight! I've done mid UK - Ancona in one hit many times - didn't know the Scots whinged so much!
Lowell, Frank and Townes - all gone now.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:33 pm

Looks like it's all a matter of perspective Andy. From the earlier thread it is obvious that some people see sleeping on deck romantic and are upset when they don't get the same treatment as cabin passengers. We both seem to belong to the “travel in luxury and could do without all the bodies cluttering the place up” category.

Sorry, I should have warned you that finding the port at Ancona is not easy. We spent quite a long time driving up hill following what we thought were signs to the port. Bit stupid when you think about it but a sign is a sign. We also had trouble being understood. Showing a map, pointing to where we were and then showing a picture of the ferry didn’t seem to be understood. At least we were on a motorbike so it was easy to keep stopping to get our bearings. In a car it would be a nighmare.

Warwick

paulh

Postby paulh » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:28 am

AndHeath wrote
"Amazed at the number of dossers all over the place, what a mess they make, I think most of them must be heading for Hania."

Terrible isn't it but don't worry most of them shape up after a night or two in the cells. Don't they!

:):)

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:18 pm

Andheath - Missing for 5 days now. Hoping it's just the turmoil of settling in and he's not still in the cells :wink:

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:49 pm

Perhaps still driving round Piraeus trying to follow the very confusing signs.

Warwick

Muttly

Postby Muttly » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:55 pm

Carolina wrote:Andheath - Missing for 5 days now. Hoping it's just the turmoil of settling in and he's not still in the cells :wink:

Doesn't go in for plane spotting does he!

Hudson

Postby Hudson » Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:13 pm

Seen alive and well in Sitia this am.

Return to “Archive”