Cretan Adventure - The end of the Dream

Archive of "Just now in Crete" plus Cretan Adventures.
Diesel Doris

Postby Diesel Doris » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:49 am

Andy

I'm gob smacked! I'm so sorry your dreams didn't come to pass! Good luck to you and H wherever and whatever you do

Caroline

filippos

Postby filippos » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:55 am

Kathleen wrote:Lest we forget, however, the UK is not without its problems, ...
From the RSPCA web site:

"Did you know 95% of all chickens reared for meat are reared in intensive conditions: housed in overcrowded, dimly lit sheds, and reaching their slaughter weight in around just 35 days.

The lack of space to move around, combined with the use of chicken breeds that grow extremely quickly – can result in painful leg problems, skin diseases and heart failure."

Also,

1) If the ventilation system fails in an intensive rearing shed hundreds, if not thousands, of birds suffocate in the gas from their own excrement.
2) Regulations were tightened recently so that now chickens must each be allowed a larger living space - now approximately the size of a sheet of A4 paper.
3) this is legal.

Sorry to hear that H was so upset about the dogs, Andy. Maybe you were in the wrong spot (not that that excuses any maltreatment anywhere) but around here - a small, village in a farming area - where I've walked extensively through olive groves, round fields of sheep etc., the dogs aren't pampered but I've rarely seen anything approaching cruelty.

There have been a couple of poisonings in our village; one of a dog alleged to have chased sheep and another that was the victim of a vengeful neighbour's revenge for some personal slight by it's owner. Although I didn't witness either event I did hear the bo%$@#king one perpetrator received from a couple of villagers.

On a very few of occasions I've seen dogs looking about as undernourished as, say, Kate Moss, but generally the animals look in good nick. I've seen a few tied on ropes that I'd consider a bit short but I've not seen a dog so restricted that it's had lie in its own excrement. I've never seen a dog beaten or even hit although I suppose it must happen as it does, unfortunately, everywhere. I'd say many are ignored for hours at a time rather than neglected in the cruelty sense. I don't turn a blind eye but I really haven't seen anything terrible.

Before you ask, yes, I do like dogs and grew up with labradors and collies around and have been described as "going gooey" over dogs and, recently at least, cats too. (Used to hate the things as my Gran had a cuddly/vicious schizoid thing. Childhood impressions linger.) We were adopted by a stray (cat) about three years ago; she's not allowed in the house but lives in the apotheke with the CH boiler.

As I said, sorry H couldn't make it but not everywhere is terrible. Good luck with whatever you choose to do next.

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:41 am

Andy

At the end of the day, at least you can say you tried it. There are lots of people out there that say they are going to do something different/new and never do and then live to regret it later in life.

We took the plunge to move from Dunfermline to London and it's worked out for us, the next step will be Malia and only time will tell how that works out!!

Keep in touch and let us know how you get on with whatever you do next!
Living in Crete!!

Phaedra

Postby Phaedra » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:58 am

Sorry to hear that you've had to give up Andy - I really thought you'd be one of the successful ones. I hope the experience hasn't scarred H for life and that you'll go back to Crete and visit sometime.

So, what's on the cards now?

Whatever you choose, I hope it all works out for you. Best of luck.

latsida

Postby latsida » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:44 pm

Also sorry to hear that you did not make it here.Just been watching BBC news about all the horses donkeys and ponies rescued from a farm in UK there were over 100 animals left to starve in appalling conditions and many had to be put down. bodies piled on top of each other!! luckily some have been rescued and although they are traumatised they are slowly responding to better treatment.Extreme cruelty happens everywhere,although I have not witnessed it here, and not just to animals.Hardly a week goes by that I don't read or see on the UK news that a child has been tortured and killed in their home.All we can do is to help the animals here in whatever way suits us.Perhaps you both did not have the same dream.Good luck in whatever comes next 8)

Nita

Postby Nita » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:30 pm

Over the last 5 weeks or so have spent most of my time in the UK and am only now catching up with all the postings, you can imagine my surprise that somewhere along the way our paths literally crossed. Andy and H I wish you both the best in whatever the future brings and am sorry that the Cretan dream didn't work out for you.

Have to add I am a tad p'd off that we will not meet in the flesh, especially as a trip to the east end of the island is planned for sometime soon.

Return to “Archive”