UK Referendum

Archive of "Just now in Crete" plus Cretan Adventures.
Cruc

UK Referendum

Postby Cruc » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:59 pm

EDIT by Carolina: UK REFERENDUM . In or out of EU. Not everyone on this forum is British, but many are and the topic will/ may affect the conditions under which they are allowed to live/work in Greece.
Please keep it CIVIL!

So old David has called the referendum for June 23 and he is losing the plot. He is now saying that even if we leave the EU, we won't be able to control immigration.

Well I think we would have more of a chance of control than we do at present.
Regards
Cruc

moggieman

Re: Referendum

Postby moggieman » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:44 pm

Grasping at straws to frighten everyone to vote in.
I think the OUT polls have shaken him after all just what did he come back with. NOTHING near what he promised he was going after.

As a sceptic "peace in our times " comes to mind.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:00 pm

Unfortunately representatives of either IN or OUT only feel able to present views that support their own position. In reality there are advantages and disadvantages in being IN and there are advantages and disadvantages in being OUT. To complicate it further, what is an advantage for one person is a disadvantage for another. I must admit I cannot understand the position of the UK government in relation to ex-pats.

1 They are encouraging ex-pats to register to vote. Presumably because they think ex-pats will vote to stay in.
    2 They intend to change the voting registration rules so that ex-pats can vote in things like general elections even when they have been outside the UK for more than 15 years.
    3 They are not going to change the rules for the referendum, so ex-pats who have been outside the UK for more than 15 years cannot register to vote in the referendum.

Where is the logic in that?

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:22 am

Warwick, surely you've been on this earth long enough to know that Governments (for which, read politicians) don't do logic.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:24 am

Kilkis wrote:Unfortunately representatives of either IN or OUT only feel able to present views that support their own position. In reality there are advantages and disadvantages in being IN and there are advantages and disadvantages in being OUT. To complicate it further, what is an advantage for one person is a disadvantage for another. I must admit I cannot understand the position of the UK government in relation to ex-pats.

1 They are encouraging ex-pats to register to vote. Presumably because they think ex-pats will vote to stay in.
    2 They intend to change the voting registration rules so that ex-pats can vote in things like general elections even when they have been outside the UK for more than 15 years.
    3 They are not going to change the rules for the referendum, so ex-pats who have been outside the UK for more than 15 years cannot register to vote in the referendum.

Where is the logic in that?

Warwick

Your last sentence Warwick. There isn't any logic in it.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Istronian

Postby Istronian » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:55 pm

Clio is not interested in UK politics so somebody had better mention Crete before she has the whole thread consigned to Sloblobodolva (or where ever it is)

Ian

altohb

Postby altohb » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:03 pm

As the result of the referendum could have an impact on those of us living here in Crete who have UK pensions I think it is perfectly reasonable to discuss here - the principle of the thing rather than the nitty gritty. I agree with Warwick, though, that the illogic of not allowing a vote for expats who have been away from the UK for more than 15 years is astounding.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:27 pm

The clue is in the name of the forum, Istronian. As Altohb points out it is a very relevant topic for UK ex-pats "Living in Crete".

Warwick

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:43 pm

... and unless things have changed, it's Carolina, not Clio, who runs the website :roll:

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:03 pm

While that is certainly true, speaking personally, I cannot think of any examples where Clio raised unwarranted objections to a thread. By that I mean that I can't remember any threads, to which Clio objected, that had any relevance whatsoever to living in Crete. I say that knowing that I was sometimes a contributor to threads that she objected to. I also think that in all cases Carol also objected to the threads and condemned them to deepest Slobovia.

Warwick

Loretta9

Postby Loretta9 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:22 pm

What an absolute insincere man that Cameron is. This man destroying the UK health service, privatising it by stealth with total contempt for the people of UK. So, why trust this horrible person? I dont.
He has brought nothing back from his little chats with his pals in Brussels. They will have two agendas - the one he tells us and the one he has agreed with the unelected very rich gobsh-tes over their 5 course meals.
This will be another - Clegg Tuition fees - debacle. If people vote yes none of what he relays to us will happen. It can not happen. There is no way UK can have - "SPECIAL STATUS". There is no way UK can circumvent the Charter for Fundamental Rights. There is no way "cuts" on benefits for children based in home country will make the slightest bit of difference. Cameron holds people in contempt. He thinks his posh waffle and posturing with the Flags behind him sets him as some presidential JFK style man of the moment.
For me its not that the option to vote yes or no is available its the way this clown Cameron plays games with people.

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:24 pm

It seems to me that many British people think that leaving the EU would mean a reduction (even a stop) in immigrants. I don't understand the logic. The UK has never signed the Schengen Agreement and, thus, maintains its own border controls.

Tim

Postby Tim » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:49 pm

I think the point is that once economic migrants are granted citizenship, and an EU passport, in whatever country they end up in, they have the legal right to enter any EU country - the UK would have absolutely no control over this. Obviously this includes both migrants and current EU citizens who have travelled to the Middle East and become radicalized, which is also a concern.

Tim

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:59 pm

But the UK didn't sign the Schengen agreement so why should ownership of an EU passport grant automatic entry?

moggieman

Postby moggieman » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:19 pm

Because under EU rules once you have an EU country passport you have the right to move ANYWHERE within the EU.

Freedom of movement. This is one of the big stumbling blocks of the U.K. Merkel invited all and sundry into Germany ,give them German citizenship and then can move to anywhere in the EU, and most want to end up in the U.K.

Return to “Archive”