Easyjet Summer 2017

Flights Crete/ UK. UK/Crete. Other destinations from Crete or Athens, plus late availability & deals
nigeljackson5

Easyjet Summer 2017

Postby nigeljackson5 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:14 am

Just a heads up to all on this forum.
Easyjet are releasing their Summer schedules, up to 24th September, on Thursday 3rd November (tomorrow)
Probably a good idea to get up early for a good deal

Kilkis

Re: Easyjet Summer 2017

Postby Kilkis » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:57 pm

Easyjet have now extended available flights to near the end of October.

Warwick

nigeljackson5

Postby nigeljackson5 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:18 pm

Thanks for that Warwick, & apologies to members of this forum
I booked yesterday at 09:00 Greek time, as soon as they came out, for the middle of October, and got such a good deal, I forgot to tell others lol

Nigel

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:40 am

Their timing was impeccable. I had a 20 % off voucher from my usual hire car company that ran out today. Easyjet released the extended schedule just in time for me to confirm suitable dates with my family, book flights at a decent price and get a cheaper hire car deal. Smiles all round.

It is possible that they will still extend it a few days more into the first week in November, as they have done in previous years, and the last flight back from the UK to Crete is usually peanuts. Unfortunately nothing is certain and waiting to get a slightly cheaper deal could mean paying more if they don't do it this year.

Warwick

nigeljackson5

Postby nigeljackson5 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:48 pm

Just a tip for followers of this forum

Would suggest that you pay in Euros (especially if you have a Halifax Clarity Card), as the exchange rate is much better than paying in Sterling

Dinksy

Postby Dinksy » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:48 pm

Have been told the best way to pay is in € if the first trip is from the Euro zone and £ if the starting point is the UK, not the return journey. Having done the sums over the years then this is good advise and it is correct.

Looking forward to when the credit card surcharge is dropped.
Never mind the quality, feel the width.

filippos

Postby filippos » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:50 pm

Dinksy wrote:Looking forward to when the credit card surcharge is dropped.
Pay with a debit card - no surcharge.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:55 pm

I don't wish to disagree with Nigel's recommendation but it isn't quite as cut and dried as it appears. I could pay with a Greek debit card, a Greek credit card, a UK debit card or a UK credit card. Pretty obviously the Greek cards are denominated in Euro and the UK ones in Sterling. If I pay with either credit card then I get hit with the credit card charges. If I use the Greek one and pay in Euro there is no exchange charge but if I use the UK one then there is also an exchange fee. If I use a debit card I avoid the charges. Unfortunately I find the Greek debit card often doesn't get accepted. If I use the UK debit card but pay in Euro then again I get hit with exchange fees. I always look at the cost in both currencies but, unless there is a really massive difference, then I tend to decide which card I want to use and then pay in that currency.

Warwick

nigeljackson5

Postby nigeljackson5 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:09 pm

Might be trial & error Warwick
All I can say is that the total cost was approx 320 in sterling & approx 355 in Euros, a conversion rate of around 1.11
At thursday's conversion rate, the total charge on my Halifax Clarity card was 299.70, which is around 1.18, even with the additional surcharge for a Visa card
It just might be an idea, therefore, to check both before booking, and of course it depends on which credit card you use. I tend to listen to the word of money "God", Martin Lewis who has continually praised the credit card that I use

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:16 pm

nigeljackson5 wrote:...and of course it depends on which credit card you use. I tend to listen to the word of money "God", Martin Lewis who has continually praised the credit card that I use

Which presupposes that you can get such a credit card? After living in Greece for almost 20 years I have I have no UK credit rating. That tends to limit your choices somewhat. I have managed to hang onto the credit card I had when I moved but I doubt if I could get a different one. Also changing bank accounts is nigh on impossible. Both my UK credit card and my UK debit card charge almost 3 % on transactions in foreign currency so I am disinclined to pay in Euro on either of them. Sometimes it is not convenient to pay on my Greek cards and sometimes they get refused for no obvious reason.

As I said, I don't wish to disagree with you but it isn't cut and dried.

Warwick

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:35 pm

Paying by credit card provides insurance against certain circumstances, provided that the amount exceeds £100. Our guests had their flight cancelled a few years ago. I had paid for the flight as a present and I was able to claim the whole amount back from Barclaycard. I think it insures against other problems, too.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:27 pm

The comment "Paying by credit card provides insurance against certain circumstances" needs a little qualification. That protection comes from Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. As far as I am aware that is a UK law and so only applicable to UK issued credit cards? I don't believe you would have that protection if paying with a Greek issued credit card. I could be wrong.

Warwick

Return to “Flights Crete General & Late Deals”