UK Car rentals

Flights Crete/ UK. UK/Crete. Other destinations from Crete or Athens, plus late availability & deals
kalamater

UK Car rentals

Postby kalamater » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:51 pm

I have just been investigating car rental for a trip back to UK in February. It seems that in many companies' T's & C's they require utility bills, bank statement or similar to support [UK] driving licence (obviously with matching addresses) for ID. I have never known this before. Is it something new? Do they not actually apply it when you pick up the rental? I have UK licence but no supporting utility bill or similar.
Does anyone have any recent experience of car rental in UK or can shed light on wnether or not I should take notice of this T&C ?

filippos

Re: UK Car rentals

Postby filippos » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:31 pm

I can only comment on my own personal experience and certainly I'm not qualified to give advice. I've never had a problem renting a vehicle in the UK using my UK licence (which bears a UK address). I've never been asked for any documentation as proof of address which, in any case, I couldn't provide as I own no property in the UK. I've only ever presented my licence (including the paper part when that was a requirement) and Passport for ID. I could have provided proof of address in Greece but have never been asked for that. I haven't tried to rent a vehicle in Greece since the paper part of a licence was discontinued and don't know the system for allowing the rental company to check for driving offence recorded on a licence.

As said, that's just my experience and not advice to risk attempting a rental without proof of address.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:54 pm

If you have a UK licence don't you have to have a DVLA reference number now that allows the hire car company to check if you have any driving convictions? I don't know for sure since I have a Greek licence.

If you don't have a UK address then you are not really supposed to have a UK licence so it is not unreasonable for them to ask for proof of that address?

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:54 pm

I have one bank account in the UK with a UK address which matches the licence but I couldn't produce a utility bill. Yes, you do need a DVLA reference number. I believe you can obtain one yourself and provide that to the rental company. I believe the rental companies also have another means of access using info the hirer gives them. They cost different amounts with the latter method being the more expensive. I could be entirely wrong as I haven't tried to rent a car in the UK since the disappearance of the paper part of the licence. I don't know how to obtain the DVLA reference number either.

BST

Postby BST » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:41 am

It takes 5 mins to get the DVLA reference and print it out for the car hire company and it's free. The car company can do it but it saves time and it's easy to do yourself.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:03 am

It's called a Check Code.

Warwick

scooby

Postby scooby » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:50 am

I always print off a bank statement (UK address) just in case but never had to produce it, Credit card, licence and a check code is always enough.
Men in suits will always make you pay.

Return to “Flights Crete General & Late Deals”