Flight Delay Compensation

Flights Crete/ UK. UK/Crete. Other destinations from Crete or Athens, plus late availability & deals
Kilkis

Flight Delay Compensation

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:39 am

I have just submitted a claim for compensation for a delayed easyJet flight under EU Directive 261/2004. They have an online form which is pretty easy to fill in. I received an email reply within minutes telling me that I was entitled to compensation and it would be paid directly into my bank within 7 to 14 days. Fantastic.

Now the downside. Under EU 261/2004 I am entitled to €400 compensation. The amount they intend to pay into my bank is £219.43, i.e. an exchange rate of 1.82. Oh would that it were, would that it were. For bookings they are using an exchange rate of 1.1, i.e. if you select some flights to get a price and then change the currency. The exchange rate has never been as high as 1.82 since the Euro started. I have pointed this out to them and await a reply. If I don't get a satisfactory response I will lodge a complaint with the National Enforcement Body: Passenger Complaints Unit Civil Aviation Authority CAA House 45-59 Kingsway London WC2B 6TE Tel: +44 20 7453 6888 Fax: +44 20 7240 7071, E-mail: passengercomplaints at caa dot co dot uk.

While I was in the mood I also submitted a claim to Ryanair for a flight that was delayed just less than 2 years ago*. They also now have an online form which is pretty simple to fill in. I haven't had a reply from them yet but they claim 10 working days processing time at the moment.

I will report back with any news.

Warwick

* I didn't lodge a claim with Ryanair earlier because I expected the process to be difficult and I didn't have the energy to chase through their system. It certainly isn't difficult now and so well worth doing if you suffer a delay of over 3 hours.

Kilkis

Update on Flight Delay Compensation

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:52 pm

When I complained about the amount easyJet were intending to pay I offered to supply them with account details for a Euro account so that they could pay the full €400 without converting to Sterling. I got another email from easyJet about a week ago saying that they would make the payment in Euro, without specifying the amount, and asking for the account details, which I supplied. So far no payment.

I got a reply from Ryanair the day after I submitted my claim simply acknowledging it. They say they will respond within 28 working days, so almost 6 weeks from the claim.

Warwick

Return to “Flights Crete General & Late Deals”