Getting to the Glens

Flights Crete/ UK. UK/Crete. Other destinations from Crete or Athens, plus late availability & deals
Clio

Getting to the Glens

Postby Clio » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:37 pm

I’m likely to have to make a flying visit to the highlands of Scotland later this season, and I’m having trouble working out the logistics. I did the same trip in the winter and was prepared for the fact that, given the need to change in Athens for a start, that it would take me two days.

But I had hoped that given a charter flight from Crete to Glasgow – the first leg – I could manage to get to my destination on the same day. (From Glasgow I will need to take a train, of which there aren’t many – the first at 8.am, the last at 6pm.)

A quick look at sample flights to Glasgow – for now, for September and for October – reveals that they are are very expensive and very time consuming, involving stopoverss in London, Holland or Germany, and at the moment I can’t see any possibility of getting to Glasgow solvent and in time to catch the last train to my destination.

Before I explore other possibilities – cheap flight to Gatwick, then the Glasgow shuttle? – I wondered how any Scotland-based posters manage time and cost for their trips, and if they have any bright ideas?

AllyBallyT

Re: Getting to the Glens

Postby AllyBallyT » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:01 pm

The only direct flights now are from Heraklion to Glasgow. Jet2 land at 0150. You could then take the airport bus into the City centre and be at Queen Street Station in plenty of time for the early train north.

Clio

Postby Clio » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:29 pm

Thanks. Yes, that's my Plan B, but I'd prefer not to fall back on it because of the awkward small-hours stopover. Too short a time to take a hotel room, too long for sitting in a station waiting room - assuming that the temporary facilities during the Queen St refurbishment include a 24-hour waiting room!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:00 pm

Easyjet fly Heraklion to Edinburgh twice per week, Tuesday and Saturday, but again it is a late night departure arriving in the early hours, e.g. 1:20. It's OK coming back.

Warwick

hairybloke

Postby hairybloke » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:41 am

Would it help to fly to Inverness? Via somewhere else of course....

Clio

Postby Clio » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:17 pm

Thanks for the thought, but it doesn't work. If I could fly direct to Inverness it would be lovely, but as things are it would mean an extra stage and lots more hours to the journey. It's looking like the station waiting room, if any!

scooby

Postby scooby » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:56 pm

What about flying BA to London then BA to Scotland. Done in one day.
Men in suits will always make you pay.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:33 pm

Be very careful making your selection if you decide on the BA route. Some flights are into Heathrow and then out from Gatwick to Scotland. Some are into Gatwick and then out from City airport to Scotland. In some cases the inward flight and the Scotland flight are to/from the same airport.

Warwick

AllyBallyT

Postby AllyBallyT » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:56 pm

I checked at Queen Street Station earlier today. The station and the small waiting room are closed at night and open at 0530. Buchanan bus station, where the airport bus journey terminates, has a 24hr waiting area but a local policeman recommends walking 5 mins from bus station to Sauchiehall St. and make use of McDonalds or KFC which are both open 24hrs and serve good coffee.

Clio

Postby Clio » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:56 pm

Thank you, that was really kind, especially as this 'ere trip looks like happening sooner rather than later. Nothing like a Greek website for getting useful info from Scotland!

AllyBallyT

Postby AllyBallyT » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:09 pm

I checked today for flights in August and noticed that Tui also fly to Glasgow on a Tuesday arriving at 1715. Quite pricey but much better flight times. I think return flight arrives at about 1330

Clio

Postby Clio » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:34 am

Thanks, that's a great tip. Civilised travel time, a night's proper sleep at the Millenium Hotel (if it's still standing and not buried under new platforms), then the early train north and I can be at my destination only a couple of hours later than with the all-nighter. And prices, now anyway, pretty good. I owe you a dram, or a karafaki!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:04 pm

The Millenium is still there but Tuesday night seems to be very popular and is currently sold out 3 weeks ahead so it might not work out for a last minute booking.

Warwick

Return to “Flights Crete General & Late Deals”