Suspension of ALL flights Greece - UK

Flights Crete/ UK. UK/Crete. Other destinations from Crete or Athens, plus late availability & deals
Carolina
Site Admin

Suspension of ALL flights Greece - UK

Postby Carolina » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:40 pm

On 23 March, the Greek authorities announced the suspension of direct commercial flights between the UK and Greece (in both directions) with effect from midnight local time on 23 March. This suspension will be in place until 3pm local time on 15 April. At present, it is possible to travel indirectly between Greece and the UK (and vice versa). You should by contacting the airlines or travel operators directly for more information. Please contact the British Embassy in Athens if you need assistance.
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advic ... oronavirus?

NOTE: Only those who hold residency cards will be allowed into Greece (suggested by the British Embassy to travel indirectly, but with no warning of residency requirements. They also posted on FB page 'At present, you can still fly indirect, including with KLM, Air France, Eurowings. Info changing regularly – contact airlines direct & stay up-to-date at
http://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice ... oronavirus

THe Embassy should be advising of the residency factor, but they are not

Kilkis

Re: Suspension of ALL flights Greece - UK

Postby Kilkis » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:05 am

I was told by a friend this morning that 45 Brits flew into Heraklion via Holland yesterday. No checks. No quarantine. They simply walked out of the airport and are now mingling with the local population. I have no independent confirmation of this information. If it is accurate, perhaps the FCO should consider if giving advice that people can get round the travel ban by travelling indirectly is ethical/legal? If taverna owners etc face up to 3 years in prison for flaunting social distancing measure perhaps the person at the FCO that posted the advice should face a similar penalty?

Warwick

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:28 am

Kilkis wrote:I was told by a friend this morning that 45 Brits flew into Heraklion via Holland yesterday. No checks. No quarantine. They simply walked out of the airport and are now mingling with the local population. I have no independent confirmation of this information. If it is accurate, perhaps the FCO should consider if giving advice that people can get round the travel ban by travelling indirectly is ethical/legal? If taverna owners etc face up to 3 years in prison for flaunting social distancing measure perhaps the person at the FCO that posted the advice should face a similar penalty?

Warwick

Or maybe the Police on passport control should face 3 years they were probably more concerned about their frappe getting warm :roll:

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:55 am

Greece and the Netherlands are both in Schengen. There would be no police/passport control at Heraklion. Passengers would have gone through Schengen immigration when they entered Holland.

Warwick

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:58 pm

Kilkis wrote:Greece and the Netherlands are both in Schengen. There would be no police/passport control at Heraklion. Passengers would have gone through Schengen immigration when they entered Holland.

Warwick

That's even more farcical at least UK passport control see's everyone that enters legally :roll:

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:07 pm

That's because the UK and Ireland are not in Schengen. You do understand what Schengen is don't you?

Warwick

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:40 pm

Kilkis wrote:That's because the UK and Ireland are not in Schengen. You do understand what Schengen is don't you?

Warwick

YES WARWICK I do understand what it means as I said it makes it even more farcical that Brits could wander into Europe and the Schengen area unchecked (have you not had your WHO pandemic advisory role invitation through yet ) :wink:
you did say you like to stick your head above the parapet the other week.

ros21m

Postby ros21m » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:22 pm

They actually arrived a week ago! https://creta24.gr/gkroyp-vretanon-efta ... 3Ty_ghJXUM

I have seen a later post, can't find it now, saying most of them, if not all of them have been tracked down, and reminded of the need to self isolate for 14 days.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:44 pm

Thanks for that feedback, Ros21m. I had a feeling that the original info might not be correct hence:

Kilkis wrote:...I have no independent confirmation of this information. If it is accurate...

I was pretty sure the person who told me had got it from social media and I have no confidence in that at all. I had tried to find independent confirmation but had failed.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:50 pm

ros21m wrote:They actually arrived a week ago! ..............................I have seen a later post, can't find it now, saying most of them, if not all of them have been tracked down, and reminded of the need to self isolate for 14 days.

Did they self-isolate after being 'reminded' of the need. Was isolation enforced or did they wander round searching for something to do and complain that 'everything seems to be closed'?
I wonder if anyone in authority here has updated the FCO on current policy.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:03 pm

Based on the UK news items I have been watching the FCO is in total meltdown.

Around the world British Embassies seem to have gone into their own lock down. From Peru to Australia and all points between they are not answering the phone and the buildings themselves are closed. I watched an interview with a UK paramedic and his partner a nurse who are stranded in Sydney. They tried phoning the Embassy for hours and then he went to the Embassy and there was a piece of paper stuck to the locked gate simply saying "We can't help you get home". He claimed that, through social media, he knew of around 500 UK medical personnel, doctors, nurses and paramedics, stuck in Australia who are desperate to get back to the UK to help hospitals cope with the virus and can't. If his estimate is correct it would be worth the government flying a special plane out to take them home but given that there are no effective channels of communication nothing gets done.

People all over the world are booking flights back to the UK online, having the money taken from their credit card and then being told the flight is cancelled. They are then told they will have to claim a refund when they get home.

Every time the Health Secretary is interviewed he looks like a rabbit caught in the headlights.

Warwick

PS Johnson has said that the Foreign Secretary will take over as PM if he is taken ill. What better choice could he make?

Keltz

Postby Keltz » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:20 am

India have banned all passenger flights both national and international except for cargo.

https://mobile.twitter.com/flightradar2 ... 2907804673

Keltz

Postby Keltz » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:53 pm

Not a news outlet I particularly use but has shown physical evidence that the UK government are saying one thing and doing the opposite. There appears to be no restirctions currently on air travel into the UK with no checks on passengers from other countries. Trains and tubes are being reduced but with the effect of squeezing more people together as they arrive from other countries taking public transport into London and the rest of the UK.

https://skwawkbox.org/2020/03/25/shocki ... e-for-all/

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:03 pm

Trains and tubes are being reduced but with the effect of squeezing more people together as they arrive from other countries taking public transport into London and the rest of the UK.

https://skwawkbox.org/2020/03/25/shocki ... e-for-all/[/quote]

Sadiq Khan (Labour)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... kdown.html

Keltz

Postby Keltz » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:50 pm

It looks like planes are still flying in large numbers. According to the attached Guardian report...

"The main reason thousands of planes remain in the air is that governments have been reluctant to restrict domestic air travel."

"In the US – the largest air market in the world – the number of scheduled international flights was down 72% this week compared to last year, according to OAG. But domestic flights had only fallen by 18%."

I find that a staggering statistic and may go some way to explain the large number of cases now in the USA.

"In the UK, international flights were down 81%, compared to 60% for domestic connections."

Still, a significant near half domestic flights in the air above the UK while buses, cars and trains have all been subject to severe restrictions.
Not sure if I can understand why anyone would want take a plane trip spending an hour or more in a metal tube sharing recycled air with others where it doesn't matter if you are 2 metres away, will still share the same air.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-in ... ir-traffic

Return to “Flights Crete General & Late Deals”