Arrivals at Heraklion airport

Flights Crete/ UK. UK/Crete. Other destinations from Crete or Athens, plus late availability & deals
johnincrete

Arrivals at Heraklion airport

Postby johnincrete » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:30 am

I want to pick up some people who will arrive at Heraklion early afternoon a week on Sunday. IT is about 7 years since I last met someone at Heraklion and that was a disaster - I was at one door and they were at another and had given up and ordered a taxi. At that time, arrivals was at the extreme left hand end if you are standing looking at the airport. I managed to find parking on the road just past the entrance.

Has anything changed? Is arrivals still in the same place? Any advice on where to park? Any advice where to stand to avoid the two exits problem?

Thanks as ever

altohb

Re: Arrivals at Heraklion airport

Postby altohb » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:14 am

Yes, arrivals IS still at the extreme left hand end of the airport terminal. Parking outside the building on a Sunday might be possible, but suggest you use the car park and arrange to meet your friends by the coffee stall near departures (on the outside of the building) - easy to locate and you won't risk getting fined for parking in the wrong place.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:13 pm

Yeah there is two exits from airside at Heraklion ... I either flit between the two or phone who ever I am meeting ....if you know what luggage belt their flight is on you can make a informed guess as to which door they will leave by .....

Tim

Postby Tim » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:32 am

Jeff's correct. I asked the guy I hire my car from why he never met me at the same Arrivals exit twice in a row. He said what they tend to do is stick their heads into the Baggage Hall, find out which carousel the luggage from the flight they're meeting will be used, then wait outside the corresponding exit. Not ever arriving with a suitcase, I just walk out of the nearest exit - I could never work out why the guy was sometimes there, and sometimes not!

Tim

sandboy2

Postby sandboy2 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:57 am

Hi John - you may be both comforted and exasperated to hear that things have not much changed since your last attempt to rendezvous at Heraklion Airport. There are indeed still two Arrivals doors - the one at the extreme left ( as you face the building ) that you quite understandably waited at last time, and another strategically placed about fifty yards along to the right ... just far enough to ensure you cannot "straddle" the two in order not to miss that wonderful and planned moment when yourself and your guests see each other as they emerge into the public area. Advisable to ask one of the staff manning the first door whether the flight you await is exiting that entrance - this may or may not yield a definitive answer, or even the correct answer, but is certainly worth a go. Advise your arriving friends that should you not immediately be noticed standing to greet them in the time honoured fashion as they come out, either to text or phone you so that contact can be made. Regarding parking, Altohb is quite correct for a belt and braces option ( and the car park is directly across the road opposite Arrivals ), but as you found before, there is an area for temporary parking along the near side of the road to the right after you go through the small side exit in the perimeter fence close to and opposite Arrivals. You should not encounter any problems parking there, and should be fortunate enough to find a convenient space.

Return to “Flights Crete General & Late Deals”