Ryanair Cancellations

Flights Crete/ UK. UK/Crete. Other destinations from Crete or Athens, plus late availability & deals
Carolina
Site Admin

Ryanair Cancellations

Postby Carolina » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:47 pm

NO flights to or within Greece have been cancelled under the current Ryanair hoo-ha

Full list of cancelled flights for the full 6 weeks in September/October here: -
https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-in ... ellations7

Jean

Re: Ryanair Cancellations

Postby Jean » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:36 pm

Just got two Ryanair flights cancelled. One Chania to Athens in late October and the other one Athens to Chania in late November. It also seems that Ryanair has dropped most of their winter time-table between Athens and Chania. So had to move on to twice as expensive Aegean. I am pretty pissed off with their business model: sell them cheap seats and dump them when it doesn't fit.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:16 pm

Ryanair have just announced to local Greek agents - winter cancellations in Greece,, November to March 2017/2018
Cancelled routes
Chania - Athens
Chania - Thessaloniki
Chania - Pafos

Other flights cancelled for Greek airports
➡ Thessaloniki - Hamburg
➡Thessaloniki – Bratislava
➡Thessaloniki – Paris BVA
➡ Thessaloniki – Warsaw

https://www.facebook.com/GreekAirNews/

EDIT: _Announcement on Ryanair website now

tartanbeat

Postby tartanbeat » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:18 pm

Yes, no availability between CHQ and ATH from 28th October until 25th March; except it would appear (at the moment anyway) flights on 20th and 27th December, and 3rd January. We happen to be on one of those, and have not received an email yet......

ADD. Oh well! just received the dreaded email now!
Slainte, Iain

Jean

Postby Jean » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:18 pm

And now received a voucher for Euro 80. What a joke! Must be redeemed before 20th March. First flight out of Chania starts on the 25th of March.

BST

Postby BST » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:47 pm

Yes we have unusable vouchers as well! Very Irish!

scooby

Postby scooby » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:54 pm

Maybe some of you should read this: http://www.chaniapost.eu/2017/09/29/uk- ... er-rights/
Sounds like you can get a flight from another airline that should be honoured by Ryanair?
Men in suits will always make you pay.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:32 pm

Under EU legislation Ryanair are obliged to try to book customers whose flights they cancelled onto alternative flights with other airlines. O'Leary was trying to avoid doing this and was not informing passengers of that legal right. After beign threatened with legal action by the CAA he has now backed down according to the BBC:

"If no Ryanair flight was available to get customers to their ticketed destination, customers can now opt for a comparable flight on Easyjet, Jet2, Vueling, Cityjet, Aer Lingus, Norwegian or Eurowings, the airline clarified."

He appears to be restricting this right to other low cost carriers and I am not sure he has the right to do that. Obviously he can try those carriers first but if he fails he should also try mainstream carriers. I think a moot point is how hard does he have to try? I don't think EU legislation limits the liability to "comparable flights" but I could be wrong. For example somebody flying with Ryanair from London Stansted to Rome Ciampino might be quite happy to fly with BA from London Heathrow to Rome Fiumicino rather than not be able to fly at all but I bet he isn't offering that alternative.

Yet again he has demonstrated that he is a bully who has no interest in his customers and only backs down when confronted by some organisation that is prepared to stand up to him.

Warwick

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:07 am

Now it looks like Monarch is on shaky ground.

Warwick

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:16 am

I can't imagine how Ryanair can survive this , surely the cost of compensating the people for the cancelled flights will be enormous ....

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:32 am

While the numbers seem large I think I saw a report that it was still less than 1 % of the total number of Ryanair passenger flights in a year so perhaps not such a big hit? Less than 1 million passenger flights have been cancelled and Ryanair expect to have around 130 million passenger flights this year. It certainly hasn't hit bookings, based on a promotion offer immediately after the problem hit the news.

Warwick

mouche

Postby mouche » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:10 pm

And they probably have not cancelled the most profitable routes, save some money by not flying, half the people seeing their flights cancelled don't bother asking for the compensation and in the end Ryan make money, not lose money, by cancelling all these flight?

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:42 pm

Why don't people claim the compensation , seems crazy ....

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:26 pm

In many cases people who are working are more short of time than they are of money. Personally I would claim it but I am pretty sure my son wouldn't. What proportion will and won't I have no idea. I think Mouche is right that many won't. I am not sure he is right that they have cancelled on the least profitable routes. O'Leary claimed he was trying to cancel on routes where there are more than one flight per day, hoping to at least get some people onto other planes. I would have thought that multiple flights would be on the more profitable routes but I could be wrong?

Warwick

mouche

Postby mouche » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:56 pm

Kilkis wrote:I am not sure he is right that they have cancelled on the least profitable routes.
Warwick

And again; it's not what I said (wrote)! What I did say (write) was as follows;

And they probably have not cancelled the most profitable routes,....

You have the most profitable routes, the least profitable routes and a lot in between!

As far as claiming refund I have no idea what percentage may, or may not, make any claim but as an indication it is a fact that people who receive a giftcertificate only half the value of these claims are ever claimed!

Return to “Flights Crete General & Late Deals”