Flying to Chania at Easter

Flights Crete/ UK. UK/Crete. Other destinations from Crete or Athens, plus late availability & deals
PaulaJ

Flying to Chania at Easter

Postby PaulaJ » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:48 pm

Hi All,

Who's the best and cheapest airline to fly direct with to Chania at Easter?

We'd like to go from a Midlands airport but could go from Stansted or Luton at a push!

Any comments appreciated!

Thanks

Kilkis

Re: Flying to Chania at Easter

Postby Kilkis » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:20 pm

Which Easter? Orthodox Easter is April 8 in 2018 while UK Easter is April 1.

I don't think you have a lot of choice if you limit yourself to those airports. Ryanair fly from Birmingham, East Midlands and Stansted to Chania around the Easter period. Easyjet fly from Luton but only to Heraklion. Their Chania flights are from Gatwick. Norwegian also flies from Manchester and Gatwick to Chania but not from the Midlands. Aegean do not fly direct to Chania at all, you have to change in Athens, and their flights from Birmingham are only from 19 June to 29 September.

On the positive side, with the current Ryanair chaos I don't think Chania as been seriously affected, with the exception of likely delays, because they are trying to only cancel flights to destinations where there are several flights per day.

Warwick

PaulaJ

Postby PaulaJ » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:47 pm

Thanks Warwick, thats great info for me! I'm looking at the school Easter holiday time here really which is between 30 march and 14/15th April, so fairly flexible that way. I've heard lots of people say they are notified when the Ryanair flights first come out for April but can't seem to find out how I can be notified of this aswell! Would be handy, although not impressed with the shambles at the moment and the last couple of times we've flown with them but they are the cheapest it seems! Not experienced Easyjet yet but have heard good things about them. Any comments?

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:37 pm

I'm a great fan of easyJet, Paula, and fly with them several times a year to/from Gatwick/Bristol to Athens/Heraklion, so if you have only experienced Ryanair so far, you should be pleasantly surprised by easyJet! Also, they have just released their Spring schedules and tickets, so you might grab a bargain -- although the Easter period is never a cheap option.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:54 pm

I agree with Mixos that I prefer easyJet but really, for me, there is little choice. My son and family live in Henley-on-Thames so I tend to use easyJet to Gatwick as both the better airline and the most convenient airport. For the last four years, however, we have all been going to the south of France in late spring/early summer. The flights to/from Bergerac are from Stansted so I have used Ryanair from Chania to Stansted. Obviously there are routes in the world where there are several options to choose from but I never seem to be flying those routes. For most routes, once you have decided your starting and ending points there is little choice of carrier. I think O'Leary knows that so he doesn't really care if he upsets some of his customers.

For example, he has a legal obligation to inform customers whose flights are cancelled about their rights to compensation. He studiously avoids dong that directly. Instead he offers customers a choice of a refund or a rearranged flights as though he was doing them a favour when in reality that is also a legal obligation. He then states:

We understand that flight cancellations may cause distress and we will accommodate your option of choice wherever possible, while complying with EU Regulation 261/2004.

I don't know what anybody else thinks but that statement is phrased as though EU Regulation 261/2004 is limiting what he can do in some way. It is actually the regulation that defines the compensation due so he can always claim that he has informed his customers. He's a devious ....

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:56 pm

Despite all the criticism of Ryanair I've flown with them several times and 'Er Indoors even more frequently and not only because they're the only airline travelling the route. Certainly they were convenient when we needed to go to Bristol, flying direct from Xania but we've flown other routes on which they are not the exclusive carrier. We have experienced two flights only that were late arrivals: one landed 10 minutes late with Ryanair to blame and the other an ATC problem.

Apart from that neither of us has experienced any problem with the company whether booking, changing a flight time nor any other admin troubles. Ground staff at airports have done their jobs well (as do most ground crew of any airline) and have always found the cabin crews very good, the only exception being one flight when they seemed to be doing the job in 'painting by numbers' mode.

We've also flown a few times with easyJet although it was a while ago, and fewer times than with Ryanair. I found them good enough but no better than Ryanair who (unless things have changed) have slightly more legroom - about 1", I think, in standard economy seats. Based on our experience I'll continue to use the Irish mob, even where there's a choice, until they cause us an annoying problem when we'll reassess.

P.S. Sounds like I'm on their PR staff but I've never worked for any airline in any capacity, and I'm too old to start now.
P.P.S. The worst flights I've ever endured were BA, returning to UK from S. Africa (not used them since) and Iraklio/Barcelona with Vueling, part of IAG alongside BA.

Return to “Flights Crete General & Late Deals”