For Nervous Flyers

Flights Crete/ UK. UK/Crete. Other destinations from Crete or Athens, plus late availability & deals
Kilkis

For Nervous Flyers

Postby Kilkis » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:12 pm

Yesterday, over a Clean Monday fish lunch by the harbour in Chania, a friend, who is flying back to the UK with Ryanair shortly, was talking about the two recent crashes of Boeing 737 Max 8 aircraft, leading to them being grounded in or being forbidden from entering the airspace of some countries and the fact that Ryanair fly Boeing aircraft. He was clearly a little concerned, which prompted me to do a bit of a search of who is flying what.

As far as I can tell, of the main airlines that I know fly directly to Crete in the summer, only Norwegian operates any Max 8 aircraft. Obviously, that doesn't necessarily mean that they will use them to fly to Crete but they might. Ryanair and Jet2 do operate Boeing aircraft but not the 737 Max 8 model and Ryanair don't seem to mention it in their future plans. They only operate Boeing 737 800s and all their current future orders are the same although they do have options on some Being 737 Max 200s. Aegean, Olympic and Easyjet do not seem to use Boeing aircraft at all so it is unlikely they would adopt it. I am sure there are other airlines that fly to Crete in the summer and you can easily find what is in their fleet either from their own web pages or from Wikipedia.

I also did a quick check of some of the main European airlines that fly into Athens including BA, SAS, Finnair, Air France, KLM, Lufthanza, Brussels and Alitalia and none of them operate Boeing 737 Max 8s. I didn't check subsidiaries or look at the charter companies.

Warwick

mouche

Re: For Nervous Flyers

Postby mouche » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:10 pm

Norwegian Air operate 18 Max 8 aircraft and they are all being grounded as of half an hour ago.

Kilkis

Re: For Nervous Flyers

Postby Kilkis » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:03 pm

Shortly after I posted the information I heard that the CAA had banned all Boeing 737 Max aircraft from UK airspace, not just Max 8s, although not many other Max models have been delivered. As more countries react it is natural that the airlines who operate them will follow suit. TUI have grounded their Max 8s. The FAA is still ruling them as safe to fly but Southwest Airlines, who is the biggest operator of Max 8s in the USA, is offering passengers scheduled to fly on one the chance to change their bookings. Some airlines, like Norwegian and TUI, seem to be reacting in a cautious way while others seem to be playing by the book, i.e. unless it is officially ruled unsafe, if you cancel your flight because you don't want to fly on one you lose your money.

I stress that it is not certain that there is a systemic problem with this plane but both crashes seem to have been preceded by the pilots struggling to maintain control of the aircraft and the aircraft is fitted with a new system designed to override pilot control in the event that the plane is in danger of entering a stall condition. It seems possible, but not certain, that this protective measure is causing a problem rather than solving one. US NTSB staff have visited the crash site in Ethiopia and the CEO of Ethiopian Airlines has said that the Voice and Data recorders, which have been recovered, will be analysed abroad as Ethiopia doesn't have the necessary expertise. While it hasn't been stated where they will be analysed the fact that it is a US manufactured plane and that NTSB are on site it would make sense for NTSB to do it.

Warwick

Return to “Flights Crete General & Late Deals”