Flights

Flights Crete/ UK. UK/Crete. Other destinations from Crete or Athens, plus late availability & deals
moggieman

Flights

Postby moggieman » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:54 pm

Hi
Some time ago i think i read about a new airline flying Athens to Chania. Wondering if anyone has information and what are they like ??

Aegean from Manchester/Athens seem to be flying via Brussels how long for i have no idea but certainly February

mouche

Re: Flights

Postby mouche » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:30 pm

Sky Express. Have booked tickets with them for March from Athens to Chania, but not flown with them yet. How bad can it be? Don't worry, be happy!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:16 pm

mouche wrote:Sky Express. ... How bad can it be?...

I have no direct experience but they don't exactly have brilliant reviews, Mouche. A lot of their reviews complain about long delays and I have heard unconfirmed stories of them simply cancelling flights at short notice on some occasions. My guess is that using them as the second leg of an inbound flight would be OK, as you mention in your post, since any delay would then just be an inconvenience, but using them as the first leg of an outbound flight could be a bit dodgy. If they are late and you miss your connection you might have to buy another ticket for the second leg, at a high price because it is last minute, as well as losing the price of the original ticket. I don't think Sky Express would have any responsibility, other than compensation under Regulation (EC) No 261/2004 for their own delayed flight, if appropriate, since it is not a consolidated ticket. I would certainly recommend a big time gap in Athens on the way out.

Warwick

mouche

Postby mouche » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:11 am

Kilkis wrote:
mouche wrote:Sky Express. ... How bad can it be?...

I have no direct experience but they don't exactly have brilliant reviews, Mouche. A lot of their reviews complain about long delays and I have heard unconfirmed stories of them simply cancelling flights at short notice on some occasions. My guess is that using them as the second leg of an inbound flight would be OK, as you mention in your post, since any delay would then just be an inconvenience, but using them as the first leg of an outbound flight could be a bit dodgy. If they are late and you miss your connection you might have to buy another ticket for the second leg, at a high price because it is last minute, as well as losing the price of the original ticket. I don't think Sky Express would have any responsibility, other than compensation under Regulation (EC) No 261/2004 for their own delayed flight, if appropriate, since it is not a consolidated ticket. I would certainly recommend a big time gap in Athens on the way out.

Warwick

I have booked Aegean on the return for the very same reasons you outline! Don't worry, I have been travelling before.

And, by the way; You can easily get around your described problem by booking your flight thru various online booking agencies as they cover you if you indeed experience what you described. Actually happened to my son in October when flying back to Norway with Ryan from Chania to Krakow and on to Oslo. He had to spend the night in Krakow and book a new flight the next morning, all at the expense of the booking agency! Worth considering next time you have such worries when travelling?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:36 am

It doesn't affect me directly, Mouche but I know people who have been affected in the way I described by not having a consolidated ticket.

I gave up taking flights involving a connection ten years ago. If there is no direct flight I don't fly. When I did take flights involving a connection I normally booked a consolidated ticket, either by booking all flights on the same airlines or on airlines that were part of an alliance. If that was not possible I used an agent as you describe, although I haven't done that for over 15 years. If I was taking a flight with a connection I would consider an unconsolidated ticket if the first leg airline was normally reliable and there was a long delay between flights. Many people fly Aegean Chania/Heraklion to Athens and then Ryanair Athens to the UK with a 5 hour delay in Athens. In over fifty years of flying I have only experienced a delay of over 5 hours once so I would consider that a low risk.

As a general point, although I posted in direct response to your comment, the caution I was suggesting was not specific to you but to anybody who might be considering the same action. Everybody's situation is different. Someone, like yourself, might take a certain action in full knowledge of the risks involved and having mitigated those risks. Someone else might see that option and think "what a good idea" without knowing the risks or taking any mitigating action.

Warwick

moggieman

Postby moggieman » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:00 pm

Hi Kilkis

Would love to book a consolidated flight with Aegean Manchester to Chania, but at this time Aegean only goes Manchester, Brussels, Athens, Chania. Makes it a lot of connections and waiting around.

So have been looking Easyjet Man to Athens then to Chania. Just looking at options from Athens.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:31 pm

As far as I can see, at this time of year, if you intend to fly Easyjet from Manchester to Athens then the only options from Athens to Chania are Olympic or Sky Express. See which is cheaper and/or fits Easyjet's arrival time best. When you are coming in this direction it isn't a big problem if the flight from Athens to Chania is unreliable so Sky Express would be worth considering if they are significantly cheaper than Olympic since the worst that could happen is that you get stuck in Athens for a bit.

If you are happy to include a third airport in the route there are loads of options. Most, but not all, big airports in the EU have flights to Athens so you can fly Manchester to X, X to Athens and then Athens to Chania.

Warwick

mouche

Postby mouche » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:41 pm

Kilkis wrote:It doesn't affect me directly, Mouche but I know people who have been affected in the way I described by not having a consolidated ticket.
Warwick

I do not doubt that for a second, but again; it¨s very easy to get around the problem (the financial part) which is my point and have explained when/where and how with somebody I do know quite well!

moggieman

Postby moggieman » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:35 pm

Just found it seems the dreaded Ryan air Manchester to Thessaloniki to Chania seems to be the best way. Both flights Ryan at £154 for two of us. Priority

jackdaw

Postby jackdaw » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:17 am

Used Sky express as first leg of homeward journey, allowing 2 hours plus to make the connecting flight. On arrival at Chania they told me that the flight was running 45 min late and the insisted on booking my cabin bag into the hold. The aircraft landed in Chania 45 minutes later and, to the airlines credit, took off soon after. On landing at Athens the aircraft pulled onto a stand furthest away from the terminal and we were bussed to a gate. From there I ran what seemed like the length of the terminal, collected my bag and then ran in the other direction to the departure gate, passing through security on the way. I was last onto my Easyjet flight. I can laugh about it now!!!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:31 am

Technically there used to be a 1 hour minimum gap between connecting flights. I don't if that still applies but I would never book tickets that close. It is very boring having a 5 hour wait at Chania and when I used to take two leg flights I certainly didn't like it but it is strangely comforting.

I am told that the budget airline gates at Athens airport, e.g. Ryanair and Easyjet, are now a long way from those of national carriers like Aegean so people need to factor in that walk when planning connections.

Warwick

mouche

Postby mouche » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:35 pm

Kilkis wrote:I am told that the budget airline gates at Athens airport, e.g. Ryanair and Easyjet, are now a long way from those of national carriers like Aegean so people need to factor in that walk when planning connections.

Warwick

You can add Norwegian to your list. Personally I do not mind a ten minutes walk after having been stuck for hours in a narrow seat!

moggieman

Postby moggieman » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:55 pm

Hi Can anyone explain Ryan air pricing From Manchester to Thessaloniki with priority boarding for two (1st March) is £85.68. From Thessaloniki to Chania (again for two with Priority ) is 202.96 Euros. 202.96 e converted (1.18) = £172 Nearly twice the price for a short haul.

So a 3/4 Hour flight is FAR cheaper than a 1 hour flight. Just doesnt make sense to me.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:56 pm

Market pricing. Can you get it cheaper with a different carrier? They charge whatever they can get away with. My hairdresser is always talking about visiting London but never quite gets round to it. He recently looked at flying Easyjet from Athens to Gatwick and found fantastic prices. Then he looked up the cost of getting from Chania to Athens and it pushed the total fare for the family up to around €1,000.

Warwick

moggieman

Postby moggieman » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:05 pm

Kilkis
Tell him to look at flights returning to the U.K very early April. Remember a friend getting a flight from Chania beginning April for a tenner. And they where the only couple on the plane.

Return to “Flights Crete General & Late Deals”