Greece Flight Ban Extended to 15 May 2020

Flights Crete/ UK. UK/Crete. Other destinations from Crete or Athens, plus late availability & deals
Carolina
Site Admin

Greece Flight Ban Extended to 15 May 2020

Postby Carolina » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:32 pm

With a joint ministerial decision, Greece extended the restrictive measures – travel ban – concerning air and sea traffic from abroad on Wednesday. According to the decision by the Health and Interior Ministry and the Civil Protection that will be published to the Official Gazette during the day:

Flights to/from UK, the Netherlands, Spain, Italy, Turkey and Germany remain banned until 03:00 p.m. May 15. 2020.

Third-country nationals will not be allowed to enter Greece until May 18. 2020.

Kilkis

Re: Greece Flight Ban Extended to 15 May 2020

Postby Kilkis » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:44 pm

I am surprised that France and Belgium are not on the list. France has almost the same number of recorded cases as Germany and nearly five times the number of deaths with a smaller population. Belgium has more cases and more deaths than the Netherlands again with a smaller population. Belgium has about the same population as Greece but has about 15 times the number of cases and 44 times the number of deaths. Are those really the sort of countries Greece wants to welcome visitors from?

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:50 am

Kilkis wrote:I am surprised that France and Belgium are not on the list. France has almost the same number of recorded cases as Germany and nearly five times the number of deaths with a smaller population. Belgium has more cases and more deaths than the Netherlands again with a smaller population. Belgium has about the same population as Greece but has about 15 times the number of cases and 44 times the number of deaths. Are those really the sort of countries Greece wants to welcome visitors from?

Warwick

Just looked at today's arrivals list for Athens airport. Outside of Greece they are: Vienna, Liege, Beirut, Doha, Geneva and Brussels. Bob
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Midlander

Postby Midlander » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:50 am

If you look at the Chania arrivals today there is a flight in from Vienna and a flight in from Billund.Would these be cargo or passenger.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:45 am

I am not sure how reliable a lot of this information is regarding flights at the moment. Flights are often shown as Scheduled hours after they should show as landed. If you try to find them on Flightradar24 there is often no information. For example today's flight from Vienna to Athens is shown as status unknown two hours after it should have landed. If you go to the Laudamotion web site there are no flights shown between Vienna and Athens until 8 May. It may well be some sort of charter flight but not necessarily carrying passengers. A friend said he also saw Wizz Air flights from London Heathrow to Greece but if you go to the Wizz Air web site there is nothing shown.

Warwick

jackdaw

Postby jackdaw » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:39 pm

Trying in vain to get a refund from Ryan Air for a flight Chania to Bristol on 10th May. No refund available since the flight has not been cancelled. How can that be?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:18 pm

I suspect that they will delay cancelling the flight officially until a few days before it is due to fly. You cannot claim a refund until they cancel it officially. Even when you can apply for a refund I wouldn't bank on getting it quickly. All airlines have zero inward cash-flow and still massive outward cash-flow. The piggy bank is empty. As long as they don't file for bankruptcy you should get it eventually but it could be a long time.

Warwick

P&B

Postby P&B » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:51 pm

jackdaw wrote:Trying in vain to get a refund from Ryan Air for a flight Chania to Bristol on 10th May. No refund available since the flight has not been cancelled. How can that be?

My partner was due to fly to the UK on 11-April with Ryanair. She received an email about 7-10 days prior to the departure date informing her that the flight was cancelled and with instructions on how to request a refund. Requesting the refund was very straight forward. Since then she received several emails explaining that Ryanair were very busy and that her refund would be processed and asking for patience. Yesterday she received the refund in the form of a credit note valid for 12 months. The credit note must be used within 12 months but can be for a journey that is more than 12 months in the future. Additionally if you book a new flight which is less than the value of the credit note then you keep the balance which can be used against another booking. As far as I understand, the credit note is not tied to the original passenger and could be used by anyone. It did say that you could actually request a cash refund but it provided no details on how to do this. If anyone has details on how to do this then I'd be thankful if they could be shared.

Jackdaw - My advice would be to sit tight and I'm sure you'll go through the same process.

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:18 pm

jackdaw wrote:Trying in vain to get a refund from Ryan Air for a flight Chania to Bristol on 10th May. No refund available since the flight has not been cancelled. How can that be?

We're still waiting for a refund from Easyjet for lost flights from Bristol to Heraklion on April 1st, five weeks after the flights were actually cancelled. EJ says the refund is "being processed." As Warwick says, all airlines are facing a massive cashflow problem and they won't even consider refunds or vouchers until the flights are taken off the schedules.

mouche

Postby mouche » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:12 pm

We are waiting for a refund from SAS for a flight 27. March and from Norwegian for a flight April 4th. We might have to wait for ever?

Tim

Postby Tim » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:53 pm

Yes, not much difference in Crete. I had an email from Sky Express on April 6th, saying my flight from Athens to Heraklion the following day was cancelled (not that I'd have been on it anyway) and that a voucher would be forthcoming. Needless to say, no voucher has yet come forth. The strange thing was, on the 7th I tracked the flight on flightradar24 and it showed it both taking off and landing on schedule.

Tim

Houmeri91

Postby Houmeri91 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:27 am

Still awaiting refunds from both Easyjet and Ryan Air here as well but as usual don't expect Ryan Air to do you any favours seems they are issuing vouchers even though you claim a refund and then you have to claim a refund again and join the queue according to Money Saving Expert !!!!
Well they are cheap for a reason I suppose !

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/ ... content=28

Voni

Postby Voni » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:39 am

Just received my voucher from Ryanair for my cancelled flight on 11th April, valid Until 17th April 2021.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:09 am

If the airlines followed the regulations and gave a cash refund to every passenger with a cancelled flight then when the lockdown ends there would be no airlines. They would have all filed for bankruptcy. All their assets would be sold for pennies on the pound and the proceeds would go to the tax man and the banks.

All the financial rules and regulations are designed to deal with a situation where virtually everything is functioning normally and a few things go wrong. They are totally unsuitable for a situation where the majority of the World economy is in stasis. That is why the banks were bailed out in the financial crash.

Issuing a voucher costs the airline nothing. Personally I think the CAA should tell the airlines that they can issue special open ended vouchers that can either be exchanged for new bookings or redeemed for cash at some future date to be determined when the lockdown ends and airlines can start flying again. It should order them to stop issuing time limited vouchers. I am sure the lockdown will be eased by April next year but it is far from clear who will want to fly anywhere by then.

Warwick

mouche

Postby mouche » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:19 am

I have asked for a full refund and if the airline goes bust I can claim the refund against my travelinsurance. Or I can go for a voucher and if the airline goes bust I can stand inline with the rest of the creditors and the insurancecompany goes free. This is what I have been told so I went the woute for the full refund.
The airline has my money and I have paid the insurance company for being insured. I somehow fail to understand why I should be the "nice guy" and end up with nothing.
If the airlines goes bust tha planes will still be around and the owners and/or creditoriv would like to see the planes back in the air as that is the only way theu can make money. In other words somebody will be flying and I couldn¨t care less about the owners, stockholders, of the airlines to be quite honest and blunt.

Return to “Flights Crete General & Late Deals”