ROOF SANDWICH WANTED

Personal items for sale and wanted in Crete. For clarity please include your approximate location
SatCure

ROOF SANDWICH WANTED

Postby SatCure » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:10 am

I need 3 pieces of "sandwich" panel. This comprises thin steel sheet with foam in between, 50mm thick.
Dimension 1m x 3,5m.

I can order it from Kalyves but it has to come from Iraklio.
I wondered whether anyone knows a place in Apokoronas that stocks it?

Martin

SatCure

Re: ROOF SANDWICH WANTED

Postby SatCure » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:18 pm

For info.

I found a supplier in Haniá.
If you drive to Kladiso junction and turn into Kissamou street, towards Haniá, you'll see on your right an olive grove, a Peugeot showroom then Gavrolakis warehouse. They sell everything in the way of metal sheet and extrusions. (The next shop is "Voi & Noi" shoe shop.)

The guy I spoke to, Dimitris, didn't volunteer to speak English but was very helpful and personally delivered the panels, with his pickup truck, to my house the same day.

So the construction of my Secret Bunker is progressing. 8)

scooby

Postby scooby » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:40 am

I have this as my shed roof and bought it from just outside Chania on the way to Omalos, cut to size and very good for storing wine and oil.
Men in suits will always make you pay.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:35 am

I've bought other metal items from the one that SatCure mentions and they are very helpful. Quite a few people seem to work there with varying degrees of English language skills so if the person you first talk to isn't fluent somebody else will be. Also customers tend to chip in with advice as always in Greece.

There is also another supplier about 200 m from there. Go through the lights at VoiNoi and it is about 200 m further on the right hand side going into Chania. It looks quite small at the front but I am told it is a tardis inside. I'm told he also sells the hollow perspex sheets.

Warwick

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:33 pm

scooby wrote:I have this as my shed roof and bought it from just outside Chania on the way to Omalos, cut to size and very good for storing wine and oil.

That's the place i thought I was going to. I've been previously but couldn't remember the road. It's the one that goes past Lake Agia I think?

Kilkis wrote:I've bought other metal items from the one that SatCure mentions and they are very helpful. Quite a few people seem to work there with varying degrees of English language skills so if the person you first talk to isn't fluent somebody else will be. Also customers tend to chip in with advice as always in Greece.

He might have spoken some English. I simply didn't bother to ask. My vocabulary is good enough to ask for "sandwits panel 1m epi 3,5m yia to spitaki mou". :wink:

Kilkis wrote:There is also another supplier about 200 m from there. Go through the lights at VoiNoi and it is about 200 m further on the right hand side going into Chania. It looks quite small at the front but I am told it is a tardis inside. I'm told he also sells the hollow perspex sheets.

There's a hardware store called SIDAL. I didn't go inside but it seemed to have comprehensive stocks.

It's a useful street because, although it's quite busy with traffic, there are plenty of places to park. There's a collection of shops including:-
a pharmacy;
an EKO petrol station with shop selling oil, etc.;
a carpets & chairs shop;
a bicycle shop called "SeaSports" (with a huge collection of scrap bicycles next door) & Suzuki outboards;
an agricultural equipment repairs and accessories shop;
a gardening equipment shop (hose, buckets, plastic plant pots, ironing boards, deck chairs, rugs, ladders, roadside cones, step ladders, paint and probably gardening tools);
a café;
a fruit & veg shop;
a shop selling curtains and "white ggods" (linens, I think);
a "Multimedia Systems Center" with (I think) an electrical shop below called "Be unique";
a bakers;
Papanikolakis patisserie next to
a Eurobank;
"Fasma stores" selling step ladders, hosepipe, dog kennels, paint, plastic shopping trollies, cabinets & chests, porters trolleys;
a run-down supermarket selling vegetables and (I think) frozen goods;
a "Clothes by the kilo" shop;
a garden plant shop.

I hope this list is useful to someone. It has taken ages to compose from photos that I took!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:23 pm

SatCure wrote:
scooby wrote:I have this as my shed roof and bought it from just outside Chania on the way to Omalos, cut to size and very good for storing wine and oil.

That's the place i thought I was going to. I've been previously but couldn't remember the road. It's the one that goes past Lake Agia I think?...

Not quite but close. On the Omalos road you go past the low security prison, past the road to Varipetro on the left and it is the next road on the right. The Omalos road opens out just before the turn. When you turn into that road there is a fenced off open area on the right with buildings along the back of it where they sometimes hold exhibitions. The place Scooby referred to is on the left a little bit further along. If you go to the end of that road and turn left you are on the road that goes past the back of the lake at Agia where there is a large café overlooking the lake.

Warwick

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:20 pm

Oh, OK, Warwick. In that case there must be another metals warehouse somewhere because I recall it was not far from the National Road. It was on the left, heading away from Haniá; it had a very large yard with long lengths of steel bar and angle laid in piles; it had a large warehouse building with a "Tameio" office in a dingy corridor. The yard was fenced off from the main road and clearly visible.

I bought steel rod there a couple of years ago.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:00 pm

I can't picture that one, Martin. As you leave the National Highway going towards Omalos there is a left turn with a big builders yard a few metres down it but I don't know if they sell any metal stuff. There used to be a quite nice looking shop selling fireplaces on the corner but it closed some time ago. Just before that turning, on the right hand side of the Omalos road there is certainly a place with long lengths of tubing outside but I don't know what else they sell. I can't think of one on the left hand side of the Omalos road itself close to the National Highway. Perhaps I don't pay enough attention?

Warwick

scooby

Postby scooby » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:53 am

SatCure wrote:Oh, OK, Warwick. In that case there must be another metals warehouse somewhere because I recall it was not far from the National Road. It was on the left, heading away from Haniá; it had a very large yard with long lengths of steel bar and angle laid in piles; it had a large warehouse building with a "Tameio" office in a dingy corridor. The yard was fenced off from the main road and clearly visible.

That's the one, if you carry on a bit further there is a large nursery after it. So yes if coming from Chania and go under the motorway bridge and first left.

scooby

Postby scooby » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:55 am

Kilkis wrote:I can't picture that one, Martin. As you leave the National Highway going towards Omalos there is a left turn with a big builders yard a few metres down it but I don't know if they sell any metal stuff. There used to be a quite nice looking shop selling fireplaces on the corner but it closed some time ago. Just before that turning, on the right hand side of the Omalos road there is certainly a place with long lengths of tubing outside but I don't know what else they sell. I can't think of one on the left hand side of the Omalos road itself close to the National Highway. Perhaps I don't pay enough attention?

Warwick
Keep going round and under the motorway for a second time the place is on the left.

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:04 pm

Thanks, Scooby.

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:57 pm

SatCure wrote:Oh, OK, Warwick. In that case there must be another metals warehouse somewhere because I recall it was not far from the National Road. It was on the left, heading away from Haniá; it had a very large yard with long lengths of steel bar and angle laid in piles; it had a large warehouse building with a "Tameio" office in a dingy corridor. The yard was fenced off from the main road and clearly visible.

I found it. You head towards Omalos from the National Road and it's on the left after less than 1km.
It's called "Aluminco" and is opposite a café called "Lixoudiés" and "Hania Oil". Closed weekends.

Return to “For Sale and Wanted in Crete”