Used car wanted

Personal items for sale and wanted in Crete. For clarity please include your approximate location
drawwater

Used car wanted

Postby drawwater » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:46 pm

We are looking for a small Jeep or 4x4, preferably diesel but will consider petrol with a reasonably low mileage. Everything we have looked at is either too big or too expensive - we can only go up to about 6,000 Euros. Can anyone help?

Kilkis

Re: Used car wanted

Postby Kilkis » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:59 pm

Looking at car.gr there are 29 4x4 diesels under €6,000 currently for sale on Crete. All except 1 are pick-ups or vans and that one is going to be expensive for circulation tax. The law keeps changing but I think trying to own a pick-up would give you problems at the moment unless you have a registered business.

If you switch to petrol then there is more choice.

Warwick

Frank in Crete

Postby Frank in Crete » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:08 pm

You have to have a business or be a farmer to own a pick-up which is classed as a commercial vehicle, this is not that hard to do as if you have literally 2 or 3 olive trees on your land and can get a receipt from someone detailing that you have sold them 10 kilos of olives you can register with your accountant as a farmer, this then allow you to have a pickup and pay 105 euros road tax regardless of engine size and much lower insurance too.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:49 am

Frank in Crete wrote:You have to have a business or be a farmer to own a pick-up which is classed as a commercial vehicle,...

That was also my understanding but it may or may not be accurate. My current understanding is that this was a misinterpretation of the law. Pick-up trucks registered to businesses have a beneficial rate for the circulation tax which is very low. If a pick-up was owned by an individual it would not qualify for this beneficial rate and, because the engine size of pick-up trucks tends to be large, it would not be economic for an individual to own one. I am told, however, that it was possible. A couple of years ago a friend of mine actually bemoaned the fact that you could only own one if you were a business to a dealer and the dealer told him that was nonsense and if he wanted one he could supply one and get it registered for him as an individual. More recently I have been told that the law has changed and currently it is not possible to own one. It is not clear why there is currently a clamp down on private ownerships so it may change in the future.

Warwick

Frank in Crete

Postby Frank in Crete » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:00 pm

Well I know that what I said was true just over a year ago because, I have a pick-up with a 2.5Lt diesel engine and did this to get it, it took a few trips to the registration office to get the papers right but I got there in the end,, if they have tightened up the rules I don't know but I think once you have one you just keep paying the road tax and nobody bothers.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:50 pm

Yep that's what I do ...and have done for ten years or so ...

Frank in Crete

Postby Frank in Crete » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:24 pm

Where there is a will there's a way :)

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:24 pm

In a few years I.C.E. cars will plummet in value. Electric engines are taking over. I realise that it's not obvious (here, at least) but all car manufacturers have stated that their future production will be hybrid or all-electric. UK cities such as Oxford have announced that I.C.E. vehicles are to be banned in a few years. We all should be saving up to buy electric cars (hah!)

Return to “For Sale and Wanted in Crete”