Boxes for packing

Personal items for sale and wanted in Crete. For clarity please include your approximate location
jane m clayton

Boxes for packing

Postby jane m clayton » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:55 am

Any ideas where can I buy flat-pack cardboard boxes for packing, books, crockery and general household goods for a move? I'm in the Hania area. Thanks.

Kilkis

Re: Boxes for packing

Postby Kilkis » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:31 pm

Depending exactly what you intend to do, a friend who moved recently found that the plastic crates used for picking oranges worked better than cardboard boxes. They are designed to stack so the company doing the removal found it very easy to palletise them and then wrap the whole pallet in film. He was only taking personal possessions, not the contents of the whole house, so using a freight forwarder, e.g. KMF, was a lot more cost effective than a removal firm. Freight forwarders tend to charge less if they can easily palletise things. It speeds up consolidating loads at the different depots on route.

Warwick

jane m clayton

Postby jane m clayton » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:39 pm

We will be using the plastic orange crates we have, so thanks for that....but where can I buy some more as well as some larger cardbord boxes?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:11 pm

A Greek friend suggested that Metro Cash and Carry might have the cardboard boxes but wasn't sure. You could try phoning them. I would have guessed that the sort of shops that sell agricultural stuff would know where to get the plastic crates. Failing that the factories that wash and pack the oranges.

Warwick

johnincrete

Postby johnincrete » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:33 pm

I have some boxes left over from my move. I will be glad to get rid of them. TRied to PM but failed. I am in Chania, not far from police station on Souda Road. I got them from Simple City. Perhaps you are more skilled than me and can PM me so I can give you my phone number

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:59 pm

Click on the persons name, e.g. jane m clayton in blue, and you should get a new page. Under CONTACT JANE M CLAYTON you should see Send private message, also in blue. Click on that and you should get a Compose message panel. Ignore the box that says Add recipients. Put a subject in the single line box labelled Subject, e.g.Phone me about boxes. Type your message in the big box, e.g. I have some spare boxes. Phone me if you want them. My number is ... Click on Submit under the box.

Warwick

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:58 pm

I managed to check with my friend, Jane. He bought the orange crates from a shop labelled ΠΟΛΥΚΑΤΑΣΤΗΜΑ on the left hand side of the Omalos road coming out of Chania about 5 km from the New National Highway. Its the sort of shop that sells all sorts of agricultural products so I would imagine any large shop of that type will have them. They cost €4.80 each. Four crates fill a Euro pallet 1.2 m x 0.8 m and the removal firm stacked them 6 or 7 layers high before banding and wrapping. He got bubble wrap and corrugated cardboard roll from a shop almost opposite the bus station in Chania. He could not find strong cardboard boxes anywhere. The only place I have seen them was in Lidl quite a long time ago and as usual they were only there for a few days.

Warwick

P&B

Postby P&B » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:14 pm

I contacted Nomad to ask if they could supply packaging materials locally in Crete and they referred me to a local company in Chania.

https://chaniapack.gr/ who sell packaging materials to the public for delivery or collection.

Return to “For Sale and Wanted in Crete”