Making the move to NW Crete

General information or questions about working in Crete.
Ken Jones

Making the move to NW Crete

Postby Ken Jones » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:29 pm

We are planning to NW Crete (hopefully Kolymbari area) as soon as possible and have visited a couple of times to look at properties and plots. In the Uk I work as an independent education consultant but am willing to try something new in Crete. Is there a website or somewhere to send my CV and a covering letter, to attract the attention of potential employers, or is it a matter of approaching individual employers? We have young children and will also have a mortgage, so I need to be working as soon as we arrive.

Many thanks
ken Jones

paulh

Postby paulh » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:57 pm

I moved this to a more appropiate sector. As for your request if you read the other threads in the same area you will see it is very different from the UK. What you are asking about doesn't really happen here as you will see from the other threads.

I cannot help but feel you are taking a huge risk not only with your life but also your family's. Having said that there's nothing like jumping in the deep end to force you to find a way to survive.

All power to your elbow but I wouldn't want to be in your shoes. I came over here as retired with a pension plus other sources of income, I have a Greek wife, I already owned my house some 6 years before I moved over, have no mortgage, grown up kids in the UK and have Greek family living next door. And I found it difficult even with all those advantages.

It would also be instructive to look up the schooling system and it's costs which can come as a shock.

Ken Jones

Postby Ken Jones » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:08 pm

Thanks very much for you prompt reply Paul. You are right it is a huge risk but my wife and I feel that the time is right as out children are young enough to learn the language and to integrate more easily than if we leave things any longer. As a fall back position, I will continue to provide consultancy services in the UK every few weeks.
Regards and best wishes
ken Jones

Retired in Crete

Re: Making the move to NW Crete

Postby Retired in Crete » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:32 pm

Ken Jones wrote:We are planning to NW Crete (hopefully Kolymbari area) as soon as possible and have visited a couple of times to look at properties and plots.

My honest advice would be:

Forget the "property & plots"! Book the cheapest package holiday that you can find (leave wife & kids at home) and spend a fortnight looking for a job. When you have a job and know how much you will earn then you will know what sort of property you can afford to pay the mortgage on. It may come as a shock when you discover the wage rates here as Greece has one of the lowest average earnings in Europe.

If your wife is planning on working as well remember that child care costs are high here and will absorb a large chunk of her wages. (No government subsidies here). Greeks tend to rely on grandparents and family members for this. You will not have this option.

Lastly, make a realistic list of "for and against" your proposed move. Weigh up what you will lose by leaving the UK and what you think you will gain by living here. (Include the loss of child benefit, child tax credits and your assessment of your childrens education and future employment prospects among other things) Above all, be honest in this, you fool no one but yourself!

John

paulh

Postby paulh » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:47 pm

Just to reinforce the wages side. My profession has been computing since 1977 and I am good at what I do. If I were to work for a Greek employer here in computing I would get cash in a month the same money as I used to earn in a day in London 10 years ago.

Fortunately I don't have to do that.

Ken Jones

Wages and job prospects

Postby Ken Jones » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:08 pm

Dear John and Paul,

thanks very much for this honest and sensible advice; it is useful to have people who are already in Crete, remind us that rose-tinted glasses can be very dangerous! I will start the job hunt in earnest but also have some business ideas that I will explore more systematically.

Thanks again
ken Jones

filippos

Re: Wages and job prospects

Postby filippos » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:19 am

Ken Jones wrote: ... but also have some business ideas that I will explore more systematically.
Whatever those business ideas I'd also advise you to investigate how long it might take to get them operational here.

To operate legally as self-employed you will, a] in almost every case, need to set up a company and b] probably need a licence [or even several]. For some businesses the authorities may require that you have an office separate from your home with specific requirements regarding access etc., etc.

It's not necessarily complicated or difficult - my wife, with much help from our accountant, set up a "cottage industry" type business within a week but with some businesses it could take at least a year. [Regulations can be daft - my wife's business involves selling through local shops and on the Internet. She had to buy a till (registered at the tax office) because she could sell directly to an end user and has to submit a monthly analysis print out even though they're always zero].

I'd advise you to find a good accountant at an early stage. Apart from that local Chambers of Commerce can be very useful and helpful sources of information.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:05 pm

paulh wrote:... I would get cash in a month the same money as I used to earn in a day in London 10 years ago...

Sorry to bleat on about one of my favourite topics again, but Paul's statement is only true if he actually gets given the cash at the end of the month. How many people in the UK do you know who do not get their pay on a regular basis. According to my lawyer, in Greece it is about 30 %. If you find a paid job here and you do not get a pay packet on time and for the correct amount walk away whatever the excuse is.

Warwick

PS Note the phrase used in the above statement "According to my lawyer..." Think about it!

Ken Jones

Accountants

Postby Ken Jones » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:22 pm

Thanks for this Fillipos - do you know a good accountant!?
ken Jones

filippos

Postby filippos » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:13 am

Giorgos Atsalakis, Tzanakaki 6, Xania
+30 28210 28469 [also fax, I believe]
atsalak@otenet.gr

We've used him for several years and have been very satisfied with his work and advice. Others on this forum also use him so you may receive other comments, too.

Return to “Working in Crete Info”