Another "out of season" Question!

General information or questions about working in Crete.
nats

Another "out of season" Question!

Postby nats » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:18 am

Hi,
I have read some of the posts on here & was hoping someone could help with a couple of my questions.
Myself & my partner have been offered jobs in Kalives, working for his Dad (greek) & his dad's partner (German). They have a mountain bike touring company.
Obviously this would only be seasonal work.
My questions are (Here we go!!) -
:?: Out of Season, what work is there? Are there any vacancies for massage theropy? in hotels maybe?
:?: My partner holds a Greek passport. Would we qualify for any benefits? (We have a son who will be 2 yrs by the time we are there)
:?: Are there nurseries in the area for a 2 yrs old & what are the hours?
:?: In your own opinion, is Crete a better place to bring up a child than the UK?

Please, i would really appreciate honest answers!

All comments welcome!

Thanks for reading!!

Regards
Nats

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:46 pm

Hi Nats,

I'll try and answer your questions ...

- Out of Season, what work is there? Are there any vacancies for massage therapy? in hotels maybe?
The vast majority of hotels close out of season (in Kalives they ALL close I believe). There are a couple of spa-type places in Hania open in the winter catering to locals so fluent Greek needed and probably lots of competition from locals for these few year-round jobs. Generally there is very little out of season work doing anything for anybody (locals included).

-My partner holds a Greek passport. Would we qualify for any benefits? (We have a son who will be 2 yrs by the time we are there)
Generally no, not until you or your partner have paid IKA stamps (or another Greek national insurance). And even then the child benef is minute - for one child it is around 200 euros per year in a one yearly payment. To claim unemployment benefit you need about 18 months of IKA stamps or two seasons' worth of stamps. There is no housing benefit as such (there is a rent rebate but only for those who have around 2000 days of IKA, including 75 days in each of the last 3 years) etc etc.

- Are there nurseries in the area for a 2 yrs old & what are the hours? There must be at least one nursery in the area, if not more. For a 2 year old child it will likely be a private nursery for which you will pay around 250 - 300 euros per month. Hours are generally 8am to 3 or 4 pm. Although there may also be a free state run nursery (paidikos stathmos, not Nipio) in the area (there is one in Souda but I don't know the exact eligibility requirements . e.g. living within the Souda area, both parents working etc).

-In your own opinion, is Crete a better place to bring up a child than the UK?
This is an extremely difficult question and of course there are pros and cons to both places. I have two children, now 18 & 19 both finished school, who were born and brought up here and schooled throughout in Crete. From 2 to 6 years old Crete is a great place for children. From age 6 when they start Dimotiko school things get hard, and mostly very boring for the kids. There is very little hands on learning, they are encouraged to learn all their lessons parrot fashion in the first few years (and more), the school day is short but with lots of homework, and there is no allowance for either very slow or very bright children all through the school system from age 6 right up to 18 years.
It may happen that your child will get along fine with this.. and it may not. Search through the forum for 'schools' and you'll find more threads on the subject.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:20 am

Carolina wrote:From age 6 when they start Dimotiko school things get hard, and mostly very boring for the kids. There is very little hands on learning, they are encouraged to learn all their lessons parrot fashion in the first few years (and more), the school day is short but with lots of homework, and there is no allowance for either very slow or very bright children all through the school system from age 6 right up to 18 years.

Think UK primary schools in the 1950s and you are getting close. On the plus side they could probably walk around the streets of Chania on their own at 2 am and be perfectly safe.

Warwick

Return to “Working in Crete Info”