Out of season work in Crete?

General information or questions about working in Crete.
Cantthinkofagoodone

Out of season work in Crete?

Postby Cantthinkofagoodone » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:15 pm

Herete.

First post here.

I plan to come to Crete to live and work for a while. I was just wondering what the chances are of getting any kind of work out of season From say October-December to keep me tied over.

I plan to find work teaching English in January 2009, but of course i'll need some cash to live on until then.....

Any help and advice appreciated. Thanks.

filippos

Postby filippos » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:53 pm

October to December is likely to be limited to olive picking - damned hard work for very low pay [lots of E. European labourers available].

It seems you're not already fixed with a job teaching English and you may find it hard to find enough work initially to survive. Frontisteria do employ native English speakers but that generally means working in the evenings and you may be on low pay until you have established yourself. Once over that first hurdle, as you establish a reputation you should be able to pick up private tuition work which pays better.

To be employed as a teacher of English you are supposed to have a good command of Greek, also, but many Frontisteria turn a blind eye to that rule so you may be lucky.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:55 pm

Just wondering why you plan to teach from January 2009 and not from October? Teaching English is one of the very few winter jobs available here really. Most of the olives work doesn't really start until December, and as Filippos says it's low pay and there is stiff competition for work from the East Europeans.

Cantthinkofagoodone

Postby Cantthinkofagoodone » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:38 pm

Carolina wrote:Just wondering why you plan to teach from January 2009 and not from October? Teaching English is one of the very few winter jobs available here really. Most of the olives work doesn't really start until December, and as Filippos says it's low pay and there is stiff competition for work from the East Europeans.

Because i heard that teaching jobs are only available at the start of terms (in September and January). September is too early for me, i'd only be able to start from mid October and so too late for the start of term.
Unless someone knows something different?

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:29 am

Cantthinkofagoodone wrote:Because i heard that teaching jobs are only available at the start of terms (in September and January). September is too early for me, i'd only be able to start from mid October and so too late for the start of term.
Unless someone knows something different?

Yes the end of August / beginning of September is the best time, but you may find something in October - it's worth a try.

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:56 pm

Some money-making ideas here:
http://www.marketingtips.uk.com/section2.html

Mostly aimed at UK residents but some are applicable to Crete.

filippos

Postby filippos » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:50 pm

I must be reading too many of Martin's posts as I'm becoming as "picky" as he is.

Were I an employer seeking a teacher of English I'd prefer them to capitalise "I" wherever it appeared, not only at the beginning of sentences.

Sorry, but it's one of my pet hates in this age of text-speak.

Return to “Working in Crete Info”