english teaching

General information or questions about working in Crete.
dp

english teaching

Postby dp » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:39 pm

I have posted here before re english teaching, but can anybody give any up-do-date info either through personal experience or through friends and contacts about how insistent private schools are likely to be that english teachers have greek proficiency in order to teach legally? I have heard stories recently of native english speakers working in frontistiria being told by their bosses to have their mobile phones on in order to be tipped off to leg it quick in the event of an inspection by the authorities to check if all foreign teachers on the premises are in possession of a greek proficiency cert. Supposedly, schools can be fined or even lose their licence if they are employing non-greek proficient teachers. Am I in cloud-cuckoo land to imagine that for the next school year schools will hire people (not under the counter) without this cert?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:12 pm

I can confirm that there are people working at the moment who don't have the Greek proficiency certificate. No idea what "security" measures the schools are taking.

Warwick

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:33 pm

Here is an update on this topic: http://www.athensnews.gr/articles/13348/27/07/2009/1289

It looks like the requirement to have a certificate of proficiency in Greek in order to teach English is still in force but it is being challenged by the EU Commission. As far as I can see the certificate is required to get a licence to act as an English teacher. I guess a lot of people are actually teaching English without a licence and so have not had to provide the certificate, hence my earlier comment.

Warwick

Return to “Working in Crete Info”