Permit to work?

General information or questions about working in Crete.
lshall05

Permit to work?

Postby lshall05 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:14 pm

I was told yesterday that there's a new 'law' out that anyone working in bars/restaurants (and possibly other places) has to apply at the tourist police for a permit to work.

Has anyone else heard of this? Apparently you have to show the police that you are 'legal' ie tax number, IKA (or other health insurance) and health book and they then give you something for you/your employer to prove that you are legal!
Living in Crete!!

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:12 pm

Hi Lynn

Sounds like an 'old' law to me - that's what we used to have to do back in 1988 to get any work permit (without the tax numbers then)!
This is what non EU citizens still need to do.

More info needed. Who told you this? An employer, a friend (Greek, EU or non EU)? Do they know you're an EU citizen?

What is the name of the 'permit to work' in Greek? Why did you say 'law' in inverted commas? Is that a possible but not actual translation?

Probably it's not actually a work permit (adeia ergasias) that you've been told is required from the police, but some kind of certificate (vevaiosi or ypevthini dilosi) that they have seen your papers and they are all in order? It's very common practice to be asked for an 'ypeythini dilosi' for all sorts of things.

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:07 pm

Hi Carol

It was a friend (a fellow Scot) who told me about it yesterday but also when I went for an interview my employer mentioned that he would need tax number, health book and IKA number and then said, 'oh yes there's something you need from the police that you are allowed to work here'. I at the time assumed that he meant residents permit (which we can't get here until we've been here 3 months). He's aware that I'm from the EU - it's a British style pub and he tends to only employ Brits (or people with very good English).

It was my friend who mentioned 'law' but it may be that she assumed it was a law because you have to go to the police station.

I know she said she was going to go sometime this week to see about it and that she was going to take her health book (pubs), tax number, residents permit, passport and anything else she could think of. Possibly another dozen passport photos....

Probably just another bit of paper to collect!
Living in Crete!!

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:46 pm

While getting our residents permit yesterday (at Hersonissos) I asked the policeman about the permit to work in bars. He said I should speak to the Secretary in the other room as he deals with this.

I was handed a list of requirements in Greek and helpfully told to get someone to translate it for us! We also got a form to complete which we need to hand in with the things requested.

The sheet is headed up ΔΙΚΑΙΟΛΟΓΗΤΙΚΑ (documents) and then says Για την έκδοση άδειας σε καταστήματα Π.Δ.180/79 (Κέντρα διασκέδασης, Μπαρ, Καφετέριες, Ηλεκτρονικά Παίγνια). The free translation I use on the web said it was For authorisation to work in shops (assume the Π.Δ.180/79 is the law number or similar) and then in brackets Clubs, Bar, Cafe, Electronic Games - got confused by this one)!

You then have to give:

Stamped (this is in capitals and underlined) photocopy of health booklet (I assume this is the yellow (or green for hotels) book which must be stamped by the Dept of Health.

Stamped photocopy of Identity Card (I assume residents permit).

3 recent colour photographs

Request authorisation to work form issued by our department (which I assume is the form we have to fill out).

Does anyone know if we just photocopy the health book and residents permit for them or do they need to be stamped as official copies (something we've never had to do so far)?

We were also originally told that we need a form from our work to confirm that we would be (or were) working there but this isn't mentioned on the list of documents...
Living in Crete!!

Carolina
Site Admin

Registration Certificate

Postby Carolina » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:24 pm

Hey Lynn,

Guess what - I have just been asked for a
ΒΕΒΑΙΩΣΗ ΕΓΓΡΑΦΗΣ ΠΟΛΙΤΗ ΚΡΑΤΟΥΣ ΜΕΛΟΥΣ ΤΗΣ ΕΥΡΩΠΑΪΚΗΣ ΕΝΟΣΗΣ
'Certificate of Registration of a European Union Member Citizen"
from the accountant as he says it's now required to register to start work (again - with seasonal work the accountant re-registers you with IKA every year) for IKA contributions.

So this is the "Registration Certificate" which we heard about in 2007
( http://livingincrete.net/ResidencePermit.html ) and it seems that finally it is being brought into force. The accountant has told me that 'it's a new law' and that they need this to re-start paying my IKA contributions.

So I assume that you didn't get a 'residence permit' (adeia diamonis) as well as the registration certificate??

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:56 pm

Carol

We applied and received our 'residence permit' in April and then got the forms and applied for the 'permit to work in bars etc'.

I will be collecting my permit at the end of this week/beginning of next depending on my work shifts so I'll let you know exactly what I've been given. I was told 14 days from application before I could collect it but when I went in I was then told it was 25 days from application!

I do know that my boss said that as long as I'd applied for it, it didn't matter if I didn't actually have it until a later date!
Living in Crete!!

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:03 pm

Lynn, you say you got your 'Residence Permit' but is that actually the
(Residence Certificate) .. i.e. not ΑΔΕΙΑ ΔΙΑΜΟΝΗΣ ?

Thanks.

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:10 pm

Hi Carol

Yeah, our 'permit' has:

printed on at the bottom and also has the same printed at the top with Υπόδειγμα before it.

We have friends who still have the 5 year permit and when they went to apply for the 'new thing' they were told they didn't need it but there are others who have the same thing and have had to apply for it!
Living in Crete!!

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:22 pm

Thanks Lynn.

Just to complicate matters (haha) I may try for the other 'new thing' - the
Permanent Residence Certificate (Engrafo Monimis Diamonis) which "can be applied for by anyone who wants it for their own reasons provided they can show that they have been a permanent resident of Greece for 5 years."

We shall see!

kingroly

Postby kingroly » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:45 pm

lshall05 wrote:Hi Carol

It was a friend (a fellow Scot) who told me about it yesterday but also when I went for an interview my employer mentioned that he would need tax number, health book and IKA number and then said, 'oh yes there's something you need from the police that you are allowed to work here'. I at the time assumed that he meant residents permit (which we can't get here until we've been here 3 months). He's aware that I'm from the EU - it's a British style pub and he tends to only employ Brits (or people with very good English).

It was my friend who mentioned 'law' but it may be that she assumed it was a law because you have to go to the police station.

I know she said she was going to go sometime this week to see about it and that she was going to take her health book (pubs), tax number, residents permit, passport and anything else she could think of. Possibly another dozen passport photos....

Probably just another bit of paper to collect!

well it just a part of the procedures..

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:28 am

Well I finally had time to collect my 'work permit' from the police today as my work was so quiet that they laid me off!!

The 'permit' that I have says

ΑΔΕΙΑ ΕΡΓΑΣΙΑΣ

ΕΡΓΑΖΟΜΕΝΟΥ ΣΕ ΚΑΤΑΣΤΗΜΑΤΑ ΤΟΥ ΑΡΘΡΟΥ 4 Π.Δ. 180/1979

Still none the wiser as some people I know were told they need it and others were told they didn't!
Living in Crete!!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:04 am

lshall05 wrote:Still none the wiser as some people I know were told they need it and others were told they didn't!

I could be wrong but it looks to me that it is a permit needed for certain jobs, i.e. anybody working in those jobs would need it whether foreign or Greek, rather than a permit needed because you are foreign. It's possible that the people you know who were told they needed it were working in the defined jobs and the ones who were told they didn't were not working in those jobs?

You are correct that the reference is the number of the law. It means that it was the 180th Presidential Decree enacted in 1979. The reference also means that the specific requirements are in Article 4.

Could I hijack the thread a little with two questions:

The office in Chania that deals with the registration of cars tends to demand a Residence Permit, i.e. ΑΔΕΙΑ ΔΙΑΜΟΝΗΣ. This is also required to exchange a UK driving licence for a Greek one so I am assuming it will be needed again when the Greek one needs renewing. Does anybody know if they will now accept the ΒΕΒΑΙΩΣΗ ΕΓΓΡΑΦΗΣ ΠΟΛΙΤΗ ΚΡΑΤΟΥΣ ΜΕΛΟΥΣ ΤΗΣ ΕΥΡΩΠΑΪΚΗΣ ΕΝΟΣΗΣ for either of these activities. If this new certificate has only just filtered down to the police after 2 years how long will it take to filter down to other government bodies?

Secondly could the Engrafo Monimis Diamonis be used for either of these purposes?

Warwick

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:19 am

Kilkis wrote:
lshall05 wrote:Still none the wiser as some people I know were told they need it and others were told they didn't!

I could be wrong but it looks to me that it is a permit needed for certain jobs, i.e. anybody working in those jobs would need it whether foreign or Greek, rather than a permit needed because you are foreign. It's possible that the people you know who were told they needed it were working in the defined jobs and the ones who were told they didn't were not working in those jobs?

The application said it was for working in Bars, Clubs, Cafes. All of the people that I know that have been told they do/don't need it all work in bars/pool bars as waitresses or cooks! Maybe it's one of these things that it depends what side of the bed the policeman got out of!
Living in Crete!!

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:04 pm

Kilkis wrote:
The office in Chania that deals with the registration of cars tends to demand a Residence Permit, i.e. ΑΔΕΙΑ ΔΙΑΜΟΝΗΣ. This is also required to exchange a UK driving licence for a Greek one so I am assuming it will be needed again when the Greek one needs renewing. Does anybody know if they will now accept the ΒΕΒΑΙΩΣΗ ΕΓΓΡΑΦΗΣ ΠΟΛΙΤΗ ΚΡΑΤΟΥΣ ΜΕΛΟΥΣ ΤΗΣ ΕΥΡΩΠΑΪΚΗΣ ΕΝΟΣΗΣ for either of these activities. If this new certificate has only just filtered down to the police after 2 years how long will it take to filter down to other government bodies?

Secondly could the Engrafo Monimis Diamonis be used for either of these purposes?

Warwick

I don't know the definite answer but KEP website states, for a driving licence you need:
Φωτοαντίγραφο ισχύουσας άδειας διαμονής ή παραμονής ή άλλου ισοδύναμου εγγράφου, αν ο ενδιαφερόμενος δεν είναι έλληνας υπήκοος

i.e. 'A photocopy of a valid permit or residence permit or equivalent document if the person is not a Greek citizen'.
I would therefore assume that the answer is yes to both of your questions.

One observation - perhaps this new certificate has not 'just filtered down to the police after two years'. Perhaps they have been issuing them for a year or more - but people are still calling them 'residence permits', as did Lynn here, and as did Andheath in an old post. As I mentioned on another thread, the new 'certificate' is a card which looks very much like the old 'permit'.

P.S. The KEP website appears to have lost its English pages, or is it just me that can't find them?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:11 pm

Carolina wrote:
One observation - perhaps this new certificate has not 'just filtered down to the police after two years'. Perhaps they have been issuing them for a year or more - but people are still calling them 'residence permits', as did Lynn here, and as did Andheath in an old post. As I mentioned on another thread, the new 'certificate' is a card which looks very much like the old 'permit'.

P.S. The KEP website appears to have lost its English pages, or is it just me that can't find them?

You are correct, Carol, as always. I am truly a dolt. I checked my neighbours "permit", which was issued in February 2008, and it is indeed the ΒΕΒΑΙΩΣΗ ΕΓΓΡΑΦΗΣ ΠΟΛΙΤΗ ΚΡΑΤΟΥΣ ΜΕΛΟΥΣ ΤΗΣ ΕΥΡΩΠΑΪΚΗΣ ΕΝΟΣΗΣ issued under presidential decree 106/2007. Looks like they got their act together quicker than I thought. Also it does NOT have an expiry date unlike the old permits, which only lasted five years.

Warwick

PS No, I can't find the English KEP pages either. Perhaps you should set Paul ferreting about in that interweb thingy to see where it has gone.

Return to “Working in Crete Info”