Health Insurance Questions

General information or questions about working in Crete.
matrix1329

Health Insurance Questions

Postby matrix1329 » Sun May 03, 2009 1:48 pm

Hello,

Since we are going to move to Heraklion this september, I was looking into the informations concerning the health insurance system. I will be employed by the university, so they will most probably pay IKA contributions for me. But since my wife and my son (2 years) will accompany me, I got two questions:

1) Is the IKA covering also my family though its only me having a job? My wife stays at home as a house wife.

2) There is this 50 IKA points thing. Does that mean I am not health insured for the first two or three months of working? And also not my family? In case, are there any good private insurance s for families which could be recommended? And what is the price range?

Best, Rene.

lshall05

Re: Health Insurance Questions

Postby lshall05 » Sun May 03, 2009 3:08 pm

matrix1329 wrote:1) Is the IKA covering also my family though its only me having a job? My wife stays at home as a house wife.

As far as I'm aware you can get your wife and child added to your IKA book. I'm sure someone else will be able to explain how you go about it.

matrix1329 wrote:2) There is this 50 IKA points thing. Does that mean I am not health insured for the first two or three months of working? And also not my family? In case, are there any good private insurance s for families which could be recommended? And what is the price range?

Technically you won't be covered until you've enough stamps, however, if you have worked in Germany and paid into their health system (assuming they have something similar to the UK's National Insurance or Greece's IKA system) you might be able to get the equivalent of the UK's form E106 (I'm not sure if you can get wife/children added but I'm sure you could find that out when you find out if there is an equivalent German form) which you then exchange for an IKA book. This would then cover you for medical treatment until you have been working long enough and got enough stamps.
Living in Crete!!

matrix1329

Re: Health Insurance Questions

Postby matrix1329 » Sun May 03, 2009 5:02 pm

lshall05 wrote:
matrix1329 wrote:1) Is the IKA covering also my family though its only me having a job? My wife stays at home as a house wife.

As far as I'm aware you can get your wife and child added to your IKA book. I'm sure someone else will be able to explain how you go about it.

Thanks for the information. Alot of information about IKA is contained in the documents on their website www.ika.gr . In particular, family members are ensured and entitled to all the treatments the working person is. At least thats what the german document on that website says, the english document should say the same.

lshall05 wrote:
matrix1329 wrote:2) There is this 50 IKA points thing. Does that mean I am not health insured for the first two or three months of working? And also not my family? In case, are there any good private insurance s for families which could be recommended? And what is the price range?

Technically you won't be covered until you've enough stamps, however, if you have worked in Germany and paid into their health system (assuming they have something similar to the UK's National Insurance or Greece's IKA system) you might be able to get the equivalent of the UK's form E106 (I'm not sure if you can get wife/children added but I'm sure you could find that out when you find out if there is an equivalent German form) which you then exchange for an IKA book. This would then cover you for medical treatment until you have been working long enough and got enough stamps.

Good question. I will check with my german health insurance.

Thanks again and

Best, Rene.

Return to “Working in Crete Info”