Becoming a solicitor on Crete

General information or questions about working in Crete.
Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:01 pm

The European Community is for business not for ordinary people. Ordinary people have no influence. The Chief Execs of Renault, Philips, EADS etc. These have influence. Free movement of labour is only so businesses can recruit the cheapest workers they can get. They are not about your rights.

Being less cynical, I think law is one area where the government has some justification for not accepting foreign qualifications. The laws and legal system of Scotland and Greece are so different I don't think it is unreasonable to expect someone to become qualified in the law of Greece before they can register as a lawyer here.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:15 pm

Agree 100%, Warwick. I'm not sure why anyone would expect to do a job anywhere if not qualified to do it. I don't suppose it's much different in any other EU country where specific qualifications are required.

Could a British lawyer set up in Paris to practise French civil or criminal law? Even if they could who would hire them, especially if their French were of less than interpreter standard?

skotia

Postby skotia » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:19 pm

Xeonophobia is an interesting word isn't it...
Graham, Glasgow, Scotland

filippos

Postby filippos » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:30 pm

Xenophobia has nothing to do with it. If you're not qualified to do a particular job in any particular place why should you be allowed to do so. English, Scottish, French and Greek legal systems are different. At least with Scottish and English law there's some similarity of language. Could you set up in, say, the USA to practise law without gaining expertise in US law?

If someone wants to drag in unwarranted red herrings like xenophobia I wouldn't retain them to represent me in their home country.

skotia

Postby skotia » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:58 pm

Filippos

Perhaps if you review my posts on here, you will see that I have neither claimed nor suggested that my qualifications as a Scots lawyer would entitle me to practise in Greece. If there are red herrings fishing around here, then perhaps you should examine your own posts to see where they swam from. I was simply enquiring how one would go about it and then passing comment on the requirements of practising in one jurisdiction compared to another. If I had known it would produce such a negative reaction, however, I wouldn't have bothered. I had this peculiar idea that a forum was designed to assist those taking part.

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:51 pm

Sarcastic comments like, "Well, thank goodness for membership of the European Community, Free Trade and free movement of labour and all all that! Perhaps if I joined the Foreign Legion, I might get in that way!" don't invite a sympathetic response.

'Twas also you that introduced the matter of Xenophobia [Xeonophobia (sic) is an interesting word isn't it..." I'm still wondering why.

"... you will see that I have neither claimed nor suggested that my qualifications as a Scots lawyer would entitle me to practise in Greece." No, but you seem to expect it to be relatively straightforward. It won't be.

"I had this peculiar idea that a forum was designed to assist those taking part." It's also a place for discussion, debate, chat and occasional argument.

skotia

Solicitor on Crete

Postby skotia » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:32 pm

No difficulty with chat, debate and the occasional argument, Filipos...

"I'm not sure why anyone would expect to do a job anywhere if not qualified to do it"

... Let's not get too dramatic, though.

filippos

Postby filippos » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:41 pm

What's this? Getting lawyerly? Avoiding the point? I suspect you don't know the meaning of "dramatic". I certainly don't regard the line you quote as dramatic.

P.S. It's normally regarded as polite if using a person's name to get it correct. Not difficult when it's there to be copied. Is that lawyerly attention to detail? You'll be pleased to learn that I wouldn't retain you anywhere.

andheath

Postby andheath » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:54 pm

Skotia welcome. I rarely post these days but I quite enjoyed your style, it must be the Glasgow in you. The problem is if you fail to agree with the resident experts here you are very quickly subjected to personal attacks and cleverly worded put downs.

Good luck, living in Crete is much easier than those who spend 24/7 on ex-pat forums, waiting for their button to be pressed, would have you believe.
This Cretan Adventure thing is way beyond a joke.

filippos

Postby filippos » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:30 am

What a pillock! But I'm pissed having been drinking with Cretan friends. Ef**ng Scots are bound to stick together. Took 20 attempts to get that nearly right.

P.S. And that Scots Writer to the Signet is still a prat.

skotia

Soliciting on Crete

Postby skotia » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:25 pm

Many thanks for your friendly approach, andheath. It's refreshing.

ronaldlupe

Postby ronaldlupe » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:46 am

official vacation schemes run by many of the bigger London and regional city firms that are regarded highly and can even lead to a training contract offer from that firm...

Return to “Working in Crete Info”