INTERPRETER GREEK/ENGLISH

General information or questions about working in Crete.
evansmr1

INTERPRETER GREEK/ENGLISH

Postby evansmr1 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:37 am

Englishman fluent in Greek, reading writing,speaking available for translating, English to Greek and Greek to English.
Sensible rates
Contact Jordan 6981813317.
Or bunit_1@hotmail.com
note: there is a line between the t and 1 (t_1)
Mike
=============
Sic parvis magnaike

kadneera

Postby kadneera » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:31 am

Can someone tell me if there is any difference between an interpreter and a translator in definition? From what I understand, an interpreter is someone who can translate the meaning of its contents. A Translater is someone who can translate word for word. Is my understanding wrong?
Last edited by kadneera on Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:46 am

Generally a translator translates written documents from one language to another although sometimes he/she can also translate spoken words. An interpreter specifically translates spoken words as they are spoken. The people who sit in the booths at international meetings and provide simultaneous translation over headphones of whatever each speaker is saying into the language of other delegates is an interpreter. A person who sits in an office and translates a technical manual from one language to another is a translator. Interpreting is quite a stressful job and usually they do it in brief periods so many interpreters are needed to cover a long meeting.

Warwick

PS Depending on their skills the same person might do both jobs.

Return to “Working in Crete Info”