TESOL programs on crete

General information or questions about working in Crete.
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:20 pm

TESOL programs on crete

Postby odysseus » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:31 am

I have seen a few English teaching certification programs mentioned in the past, like the INTESOL program, however the websites are all down. Which of these are still existing? Any thoughts on which is the best for someone who wants to teach on Crete?

Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:50 am


Postby der » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:24 pm

This may not seem to be a helpful reply but maybe the reason all the sites are down is that the course providers like INTESOL are finding it harder to get applicants because, once you qualify, after paying out your hard-earned cash to learn how to teach English in Greece, the qualification you have will not get you very far here. I did the INTESOL course in Crete in 2007, and while it was an excellent course with a superb instructor, this kind of course does not provide you with everything you need to teach English here. You are also supposed to have a teaching licence to teach in the frontistirios (private schools) which supplement the unfortunately inadequate English teaching in the state schools. If you are a non-Greek, the only way you can get this licence is by sitting an exam which will test your knowledge of Greek. The level needed to get a teaching licence is close to Proficiency level. I have been learning Greek since coming here but I still feel I am not ready for this exam (maybe I'm a slow learner!). If you find a school which will employ you then you may get up to 10-12 hours a work per week, if you're lucky. Most teachers here supplement that with whatever private lessons they can get. But if you do private lessons, the money you earn will not count towards any health benefits or pension etc. unless you register as a self-employed person, which ends up costing more money than you can earn because you have to pay a high monthly social insurance levy, along with other costs. A lot of people simply do not declare the money earned from private lessons which may be fine for a while, but unless you have another source of income (pension, investments, etc.) what you could earn from teaching English in Greece (well in Crete anyway) will not be enough. Sorry to be a prophet of doom, and this is a great place, the food, weather and the people of course, but it's not for the faint-hearted!

Posts: 5833
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:38 pm
Location: Kalyves

Postby filippos » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:00 pm

And you will need a tax number for any number of reasons. If you rent property the landlord is supposed to give you an official rental agreement which he/she should register with the tax authority and tax number will be required for that. If you don't get an official agreement it probably means the landlord is not declaring his rental income. However, you are supposed to declare your rent on your tax return so the authorities can cross-check.

To buy a house or car you need a tax number.

You must submit a tax return annually. If you declare an income [and/or imported funds - which must be proven] that the tax authority deems is insufficient to live they will assume you have worked illegally and present a tax bill for an assumed income and possibly penalties on top.

Some private clients may ask for a receipt and the only ones that are acceptable can only be obtained with a tax number.

And so it goes on and on and ......

Posts: 951
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:04 pm
Location: Chania

Info re teaching English

Postby johnincrete » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:37 pm


If you send me a PM with your email address I will pass it on to my daughter who has a big school in Chania. She is very careful to observe all regulations and so she knows exactly what you need to do.

Return to “Working in Crete Info”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest