Retiring in Greece

General information or questions about working in Crete.
Kilkis

Retiring in Greece

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:38 pm

I guess the subject is rather the opposite of the section title but I thought this might be the most appropriate slot for this post. Having worked full time in Greece for over 13 years, all of it covered by IKA, I have now reached 65. (It's OK. You don't need to apologise for forgetting my birthday.) As such I am now entitled to apply for an IKA pension and I thought it might be useful to other people, working in jobs covered by IKA, if I described the procedure.

Currently, to be entitled to a full pension at 65 you must have 4,500 stamps although I think the government is proposing to increase this as part of the austerity measures. I only have 4,019 but I am still hopeful of at least getting a part pension. Time will tell and I will report back in a few months (years?) when I get a decision.

The first step is to get the necessary application forms. The section you need is "Απονομη Συνταξεων". In Chania this is on the first floor of the building where you renew your IKA medical book. Go up the stairs, through the double doors, turn left and there is a glass fronted booth where they have the forms.

IKA is divided into two parts, IKA-ETAM, which pays the basic pension, and IKA-ETEAM, which pays supplementary pensions where appropriate. In keeping with Greek tradition, you have to fill in a separate form for each section even though 90 % of the information on them is the same and they are basically the same organisation. Form Σ1 is for IKA-ETAM and form Σ41 is for IKA ETEAM. In addition, if you previously worked in another EU State you must also complete a form Σ8. Finally your employer will need to complete a form Σ5. If you are still in close contact with your employer it might be worth getting this for him/her. If not you will need to contact them and ask them to get a form Σ5, complete it and post it to you.

They need photocopies of your passport and your residence permit. I provided copies notarised by a lawyer although I am not sure if this is technically necessary. If you do use ordinary copies I would make sure that you have the originals with you so they can verify that they are correct.

They need a photocopy of the latest form from the tax office showing that you have made a tax return, Εκκαθαριστικο Εφοριας.

They need a photocopy of your bank book/statement of the account where the pension will be paid showing the IBAN number.

Before January 2002 the receipts for IKA payments were literally stamps in a book. They need all such books. After January 2002 the receipts were computer generated and they need the originals of all these. It is quite likely that these latter receipts will not be up to date. If you take the most recent receipt to the correct office they can print out a receipt from their computer system showing all payments from the last receipt up to the present time/when you finished work. Sorry but I did not get the name of this office. In Chania it is on the second floor of the building where you renew your IKA medical books more or less facing the double doors. You must gather together all these receipts yourself.

You must make a legal declaration, Υπευθυνη Δηλωση", on the standard form issued under law N1599/1986, that you don't have any other pension in Greece and that you will inform IKA immediately if you apply for any other pension. I guess this is mainly relevant if you have worked under IKA and worked under some other Greek insurance scheme.

I also supplied two other forms from my employer. The first was a certificate of service, Βεβαιωση Προυπηρεσιας, which declared the period that I worked for the company and how much I was paid per month. The second was a proof of payment of remuneration, αποδειξη πληρωμης αποδοχων, for my last month of employment. I am not sure if both of these were really necessary since they seem to cover the same information as the form Σ5.

The application forms also ask for a lot of information on a spouse including photocopies of the same documentation, i.e. passport and residence permit, plus marriage certificate plus another legal declaration that you are still married. In my case they did not want any of this information but in other cases it might be necessary.

I also supplied a photocopy of the first page of the letter from the UK showing the award of my state pension there. I am not sure if they needed this but I am pretty sure they will contact the UK and this letter gives them all the relevant information.

All the above should be returned to the office where the original forms came from. They estimated it would take six months plus. I'm assuming "plus". Good luck

Warwick

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:10 pm

I recently received a letter from IKA asking for some additional documentation so someone must have at least looked at my application file.

The document that they required was a copy of my "UK Certificate of Family Status" translated into Greek. Unfortunately there is no such document in the UK. I went back to IKA with an original of our Marriage Certificate, a photocopy and a translation into Greek and asked if these would do instead. They agreed they would but asked for similar information on any children. I pointed out that my son was 40, lived and worked in the UK and they decided that his birth certificate would not be needed.

One more step along the path. To be continued...

Warwick

Return to “Working in Crete Info”