Searching for jobs/accomodation Summer 2008

General information or questions about working in Crete.
ladyb

Searching for jobs/accomodation Summer 2008

Postby ladyb » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:15 am

Hello!
Me & my best friend are hoping to take some time out this year and come to Crete for the summer season! We would love to find jobs such as bar work or PR in either Stalis or Malia but we're not really sure how to go about things.

We've been told to go out for a 2 wk holiday as early in April as we can so that we can chat to ppl once we are there but im struggling to find reasonably priced flights + accomodation that early in the season!
Can any1 reccomend any particular airlines that fly to Crete early April?

Also if any1 has any advice they can give us about finding jobs and places to live throughout the summer we would be extremely grateful!
Thank you! x

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:54 pm

Hi Ladyb

There are only a couple of apartments that we've seen open in Malia in April through one operator and the cheapest for 1 week was £183 p/p. Try this website http://travel.creteforyou.com/ which should give you a starter on what airlines/tour operators go to Crete.

It's easier out of season to do flight only and book apartments separately (or stay with friends). There will be apartments in Malia/Stalis that will be able to accommodate you but I don't have contact numbers or email for any.

Beach Road is where you're more likely to find PR work (which is illegal but still goes on) and you'll probably find the owners/managers putting the finishing touches to their bars/clubs in April some may even still be getting renovated. Most people who live in Malia permanently and work the season start around the 1st May.

Once you're there you'll hear of rooms/apartments through word of mouth, just as you'll hear about other jobs...

I know the apartments we stayed at in September usually open for English Easter but they never know until the last minute and they are not on the company's website yet, so if they are open for our Easter they will definitely be open in April. It might be worth your while, if you can, to hold off booking in case more holidays are made available in the next few months
Living in Crete!!

filippos

Postby filippos » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:35 pm

Thanks for the 'plug', Lynn. By coincidence I updated the travel site last night.

Filippos.

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:47 pm

No probs!! :wink:
Living in Crete!!

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:05 pm

Hi Ladyb,

I see the need for a general category on working in Crete, so I've created one and I've moved your post here.

There is a lot of information on working and workers accommodation in Malia on the Greecemonkey site .. see http://www.malia.co.uk/working/ as a starting point.

Just checked a couple of holidays & flights out. Cheapest inclusive flight and 2 weeks s/c accom in Malia I found was £207, with Thomas Cook on 15th April. The 8th April was a lot more expensive, while 1st April is £257.

Flight onlys seem to be around the £200 mark and more, at the moment for April.

Filippos - it's OK your 'plug' still stands :lol: and very useful it is too.

lshall05

Postby lshall05 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:01 pm

Just been back on the Greece Monkey site (not been on it for months)! If anyone ever complains about bad spelling or grammar on here again, they should be sent to one of the Greece Monkey forums!! :lol: Some of the posts take a while to decipher!!
Living in Crete!!

Return to “Working in Crete Info”