Engllish teaching in Chania area

General information or questions about working in Crete.
dp

Engllish teaching in Chania area

Postby dp » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:59 pm

Can anybody recommend a school that has a good tefl or tesol course? I am living here, near Chania, and I want to take a course to enable me to teach English here. Is it necessary or advisable to take one of the 100 plus hour courses to get a job? Are schools that recruit teachers looking for people with degrees? I finish my degree in June 2008. Thanks for any advice that is forthcoming.

dp

Postby dp » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:01 pm

I know, I know, I'm replying to myself. That should read English teaching with one l. That's a good start, eh?

Midas

Getting certified to teach English in Chania

Postby Midas » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:05 am

Hi DB

I have just been notified about your enquiry regarding TEFL/TESOL Certificates to teach English in Crete.
INTESOL Greece is a TESOL teacher training centre which offers courses to whoever wants to get a TESOL certificate to teach English. Our centre is accreditted by the College of Teachers, part of the Institute of Education at London University. Have a look at our website for more information about our courses.
To teach here in Chania, you need to have a BA, which I understand you already have and a full certificate, the certificate you get from a course that has over 100 hours tuition and teaching practice.
Give us a call at 2821058868 or pay us a visit at INTESOL Greece, 37 Sfakion street. If you are interested, I can provide you the e-mail addresses of some of our ex-trainees who live in Chania to contact them for more information.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Mihaela Dascalu (MAT)
Course Director
INTESOL Greece

Kilkis

Re: Getting certified to teach English in Chania

Postby Kilkis » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:43 am

Midas wrote:To teach here in Chania, you need to have a BA, which I understand you already have and a full certificate, the certificate you get from a course that has over 100 hours tuition and teaching practice...

Mihaela Dascalu (MAT)
Course Director
INTESOL Greece

Or a BSc????

No mention of having to have passed a proficiency examination in Greek??? I understood that was compulsory and was now being enforced???

Warwick

Midas

Postby Midas » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:34 pm

Hi
Yes, this one is ok. You need to be a university or college graduate. No need to have the proficiency in Greek any more. It was a big issue last year, but the Ministery of Education seems to have become more lenient. There was a lot of discussion about this issue. yes, you will need to have a teacher's licence to teach in a private language scool, but most private language schools do take TEFL/TESOL certified native speakers as teachers without this licence.
You could try and walk into a few language schools and try to speak to the owners, introduce yourself and tell them that you'd like to teach in their scool after you get your certification...see what they tell you. Expect to get as many different answers as there are schools you have visited. It's worth a try, though.

Mihaela

shamus

Postby shamus » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:01 am

Hi there

I did post a recommendation on this site some time ago for the INTESOL school as I took my TESOL qualification with them last year. It was under the job vacancies discussion thread though ...

I can only tell you that I am really happy that I decided to take the full TESOL qualification with INTESOL. Apart from the fact that by taking the full course you will have a head start when looking for a job because you will have a teaching practice certificate, the full course gives you the opportunity to teach Greek students in a classroom setting - something which you definitely would not get by just taking one of the online courses.

Another advantage is that the school and it's accomodation are both in the centre of Hania, so while you are studying, you can also take advantage of being close to everything the area has to offer, as well as being able to find out everything you need to know about living there by utilising the knowledge and guidance of the people at the school.

On my course, which I thoroughly enjoyed, there were a couple of students who had already done various teaching jobs in other parts of the world, but who felt that they still needed to take the full TESOL course to get the jobs they wanted in Greece or the Greek Islands. I hadn't done any form of teaching before so I hadn't realised that even qualified teachers with degrees were going to be on the course!! A bit daunting at first as obviously they were used to planning and delivering lessons - but I was plesantly surprised that by the end of the course I had the confidence to be able to host a lesson without feeling too nervous!!

There is a local newspaper, Hanotika Nea, which is printed daily in Hania - sadly it is mostly in Greek (good excuse to start learning a little Greek though!), which advertises local teaching jobs as well as people advertising to ask for private tuition - you could always advertise yourself in there too....one of my classmates has done this - she stayed on in Hania after taking her course and is now making a very reasonable living by giving private lessons rather than working in a frontistera school....

Hope this helps...good luck....

Shamus
________
buy volcano vaporizer

Return to “Working in Crete Info”