Bordeaux to Chania

Overland driving routes and ferries
border collie mad

Bordeaux to Chania

Postby border collie mad » Sun May 12, 2019 5:25 pm

will be travelling this Septemeber with 2 vehicles, pulling trailer and a caravan...+...3 B/collies and 3 cats........
really don't want to do much driveing...so ferries as much as poss......
seems logical from the maps......
Barcelona to Sardinia then drive up the island and get a ferry to Corsica, (really wanted a direct ferry from Barcelona to Corsica, but cant find anything) then a ferry to Naples.......
overland to Brindisi, ferry to Patras......the rest is straight forward......
anyone tried this route or something better....

seemingly the ferries are good with dogs, the cats will have a very large travelling cages.......

any advice from experienced travellers please....

thanks

Maud

Re: Bordeaux to Chania

Postby Maud » Tue May 14, 2019 7:56 pm

Not a route I would contemplate. Too many ferrys, - especially with the animals.

For what it is worth I would drive across France to Switzerland. Then do the St. Gotthard Tunnel, which is the most cost effective one. Drive down through Italy to Ancona and get the ferry to Patras from there. - Use the toll roads in Italy. They are cheaper than in France and worth the money.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Wed May 15, 2019 6:30 am

Yes I agree ferries are dull and boring .I suppose if you are on the camping deck in your caravan with the pets it's OK..but I would prefer ...the route Maud suggested..'Or maybe via Venice to save a bit of driving....

Maud

Postby Maud » Wed May 15, 2019 9:47 am

As Jeff mentions, book camping on deck. You can then stay in your caravan with the animals. You can do this from Ancona and Bari with ANEK/Superfast, but not Venice or Trieste. I don’t know about Brindisi.

You get a cabin instead with Minoan......but cannot stay in your van. - Not ideal with six animals. You can’t access your van during the voyage with Minoan, so cannot leave the animals on their own in the van.

Return to “Overland to Crete & Ferries”